1litre and sport owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scotty86

need a bit ov help folks i am in the market for a lupo, its either a 1.0 or all out for me would be a 1.4 sport.

now speed is not a major issue to me but a would not go slower than what i drive just now- i have a 1.1 pug 106. is a lupo 1.0 much slower than this?

basiclly any point you peeps feel valuable please let me no wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

cheers folks scotty

p.s new to this game(lupo's that is and vw!!!!!!)

Well my sister has a 1.1 Saxo and i have a 1.0 Arosa, hers is quite a bit quicker than the arosa. She used the arosa for a week and found it slow compared to hers.

But the arosa has a smaller engine and as the saxo weighs about as much as a tin of beans its not supprising.

What about the 1.4 (75BHP) E or S Lupo, like half way between the 1.0 and Sport

Chris

I've got a 1.4 sport and when its working all nice and fine I do love it to bits!! mine keeps going wrong so am not so chuffed at the moment. It is one of the fastest 1.4 around as well I think. way faster than say a 1.4 206.

Good choice if you get a good un.

Sam.

Nothoing wrong with the 1.4 75bhp, in my experiance though its not miles quicker than the 1.1 106, since like Chris says the 1.1's weigh much less than the Lupo. I would imagine a 1.0 loop to be noticeably slower than a 1.1 106, so consider the 1.4 75bhp.

my 1.0 is great fastest 1.0 i've driven plus the local chavs drive 1.1 106 and saxo's and mine has quite easily kept with them and over taken them when they were trying (a kid i know owns a 1.1 saxo and mine p1ssed all over it) tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

tbh how fast a car is depends on how its been driven during the running in period and previous owner my cousin has now got a 1.0 lupo in yellow! and hers is slower than mine by a fair bit and i have the added wieght of a towbar and electrics and rer speakers (every little helps!). drive a couple if you can before you buy one just to gauge whether you'd be happy with it

Edited by Mr P

It's stat time!

Slowest first:

Lupo 1.0 - 0-60 in 17.1s

Pug 106 1.1 - 0-60 in 14.9s

Lupo 1.4 - 0-60 in 11.6s

Lupo 1.4 Sport - 0-60 in 9.7s

So you'll definitely notice the 1.0 being slower than your Pug (I think my Dad's 1.7SDi is chronically slow, and it actually does 0-60 faster than the 1.0!)

Statistically you'd notice a bigger difference between your Pug and the standard 1.4 than between the 1.4 and 1.4 Sport. Having driven (and soon to own) a 1.4 I'd say you'll find it plenty fast enough unless you're really after a pocket rocket; in which case you really need a GTi.

Hope that helps (stats courtesy of Parkers.co.uk)

I've got the 1.4 75bhp and it is plenty fast enough for me. Seems to pick up off the mark fine and if you do about 15mph in 2nd then floor it - it still has enough in it to scare the Mrs.

The only thing with the 1.4 is that 70/80mph seems to be @ about 3000 revs + which seems fairly high so I'm not looking forward to a long motorway drive!

So to sum up I reckon go for the 1.4s. It's a little peach!

I've got the 1.4 75bhp and it is plenty fast enough for me. Seems to pick up off the mark fine and if you do about 15mph in 2nd then floor it - it still has enough in it to scare the Mrs.

The only thing with the 1.4 is that 70/80mph seems to be @ about 3000 revs + which seems fairly high so I'm not looking forward to a long motorway drive!

At motorway speed the sport is around 3700-4000 revs so your relatively low tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> lol.

i'd go for the sport just for the better brakes (rear discs) and cheeky centre exhaust. It is quick for a normally aspirated 1.4, and I find it quite entertaining!

Pete

With hind sight (I've got a Sport) I think that the 1.0 would be better. Cheaper to buy, more plentiful, cheaper to run, better fuel economy (better for environment!!), cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance. Can't lose. Don't fuss about being the fastest, it's a VW that's the main thing. Oh yeah - try and get one with the Open Air option (full length sun roof).

i would say it would depend how old you are and how much driving experience you have plus what you actually want the car for!. they are very different cars really!

i had a 1.0L Loop as my first car and he was perfect to learn in smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> would sit happily at motorway speed but was equally "nippy" enough for around town. good mpg figures and cheap to buy, insure, tax service etc etc he was also very forgiving with those 'school boy errors' everyone makes when they first pass.

2 years on i upgraded to a sport. much quicker, much more luxurious to drive but drank alot more, more expensive in all ways and tbh just didnt have the zing factor i was after, hence why i now have a gti smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

hope thats helped a bit smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

good luck finding a loop!

Jen x

Where as the 1.0 sits at near 4,000 RPM at 70!, and at motorway speeds does use quite a bit of fuel as its reving so high.

I would think the 1.0 and the 1.4 75bhp get similar mpgs as the 1.0 needs working hard.

@MR P, You may well have a quick 1.0 and yeah it does depend on how its driven during the running in period.

However the 106 has about 61bhp (depending on year) and is a lot lighter than the lupo, so its going to be quicker than a 1.0 Lupo with 50BHP, also the 1.0 revs higher at motorway speeds and does less MPG in my experience.

Chris

Many, many moons ago my pal bought a Yamahahahahaa RD200 off a lady who's son had died in an accident, not on the bike I hasten to add.

It used to go like stink. I had a Kawasaki KH250 and there was no way I or any other 200/250 could keep up.

..after a bit of digging around frame and engine no's, it was found that the RD200 was in fact an RD400!

Seems like either Yamahahahahaa had made an error; or more likely the ladies son had changed the RD400 to RD200 badging to fool the local plods and everyone else!

Mr P: Maybe you have a 1.8T engine in your Loop! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Any way who cares that the Pug or the Citroen is faster. The lupo is much, much cooler! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

...in fact nearly as cool as the Arosa!

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Edited by Silver!

Any way who cares that the Pug or the Citroen is faster. The lupo is much, much cooler! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

...in fact nearly as cool as the Arosa!

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Yeah the Lupo/Arosa is a much better car altogether than the 106 / saxo, not that they are bad cars though!

lol your right about that shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Chris

i'm fairly certain its a 1.0 as it cant keep up with anything near a 1.6 or above (would be nice though especially with a 1.0 badge on the back tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) plus a 1.4 induction kit wont fit it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

as i said drive a couple of them and see which one suits you. the loop is much better than any 106 or saxo more refined for sure.

also it helps that the kid i know bounces it off of the limiter when ever he tries to out run anything laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

cheers for all the replies folks!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

eh ok av just turned 20, i have had a few cars lol blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

av had a nova, corsa, fiesta, 106 quiksilver, civic eg, civic ek, yaris and now my 106 1.1 independance lol cant seem to stick and build somthing to be proud of!!!

the time has come 2 build somthing that i can call mine!!! and somthing about a lupo really apeals to me! and vw if im being honest!!! (always fancied one confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> dont no why)

i think in all honestly i would need a 1.4 or above to be entierly happy with it, the sport sticks out to me as a winner as there are alot ov nice small diffrences!

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> another quik question how much would you folks say i would be paying for say a 1.4 sport below 50 thou miles........ i have checked autotrader and such just wondering perhaps sport owners if they wer to sell- a small indication ov what u would be looking for???

cheers again folks!!! scotty tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

My advice would be to get a 1.4, 75 or 100 bhp. Stepping down to a slower car will just be a disappointment IMO.

I've owned a 1.4 s and a 1.4 sport and to be honest theres nothing in them around town, the 75bhp will be slightly quicker off the mark as the torque band is a lot lower, the sport really needs to live around 5000+rpm to get the most out of it. my sport sits around 3500rpm at motorway speeds which is pretty low for a car that redlines at 7000rpm. the 75bhp will sit around 3100rpm and redlines at 6000rpm. I found the 75bhp to be a lot better on fuel that the sport was originlly, now it's hitting 55mpg but only because it weighs next to nothing.

the 75bhp engine changed from 2001 X reg and I beleive this AUA engine is better than the one before it as the torque comes in earlier and it also shows 7000rpm on the clocks where as the previous one i think shows 6000rpm. plus if you wanted to get more out of it you could easily fit an AUB head and ecu and even a gti throttle body/inleft manifold. thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" /> but then you may as well have gone for the sport..

I think sports are a bit overpriced at the moment though you can pick up a nice 's' for £2000 the equivelant sport would cost closer to £3500.

If I were you I'd get the 75bhp and fit a set of sport alloys biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by Petrified

I've owned a 1.4 s and a 1.4 sport and to be honest theres nothing in them around town, the 75bhp will be slightly quicker off the mark as the torque band is a lot lower, the sport really needs to live around 5000+rpm to get the most out of it. my sport sits around 3500rpm at motorway speeds which is pretty low for a car that redlines at 7000rpm. the 75bhp will sit around 3100rpm and redlines at 6000rpm. I found the 75bhp to be a lot better on fuel that the sport was originlly, now it's hitting 55mpg but only because it weighs next to nothing.

the 75bhp engine changed from 2001 X reg and I beleive this AUA engine is better than the one before it as the torque comes in earlier and it also shows 7000rpm on the clocks where as the previous one i think shows 6000rpm. plus if you wanted to get more out of it you could easily fit an AUB head and ecu and even a gti throttle body/inleft manifold. thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" /> but then you may as well have gone for the sport..

I think sports are a bit overpriced at the moment though you can pick up a nice 's' for £2000 the equivelant sport would cost closer to £3500.

If I were you I'd get the 75bhp and fit a set of sport alloys biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

thats a good bit ov info there mate!!! top notch cheers thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" />

and to be honest a want to be slammin it as soon as i get it! and eyes on a set of rh cups... so if a did that and got a sport rear bumper and exahust tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ad practically have what i want lol

in that case id definately get the sport over the 1.4 75bhp. you get the nice extra touches like centre zaust and front fogs smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

c the thing is i would get a GTI as a first choice- I love everything about the GTI!!! if i could choose any car it would prob be the loop GTI!!!

BUT sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> i cant afford insurance and the basic running would be a killer as i drive too much so 1.4 is my limit just now (al get my GTI one day tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> )

but it seems to me that the next best thing is the sport??? right engine size, fun i imagine and the nice small touches im after.

am goin need have a shot ov one i think best idea wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

forget that get best of both TDI sport biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> eco and fast biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> :

might need a bit ov help here folks cin as you peeps are the experts- av jus been looking at som loops for sale heres my question............

do lupo 1.4 sports get mixed up with 1.4 s models???

or i have heard there is a phase 1 and phase 2??? if so do the early sports come without the contre exit and fogs??? or is this indeed the s model if its missing these???

cheers again folks

scotty biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />