Snapped Cambelt?? **Updated**been diagnosed**

Oh dear. I think i may be in for a rather large bill yet again! Driving my car today and there was some strange noises from the engine. A kind of creaking and then it just cut out completely and now it won't even turn over. You can hear the starter moto turning but no engine turning or noise.

My cars done 57k miles. Would you say that the cambelt has snapped???

If so what kind of costs would you say are going to be involved here and what damage can i expect?

Thanks, Sam. angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> Feeling slightly annoyed!!!!

Edited by My_Names_Buck

remove the cambelt cover and you will be able to see imediately if its the belt having snapped thats causing your problem.

If the belt has snapped your looking at a full head rebuild... depending on how many valves have been damaged, this can cost a fortune...

Hard to say mate but do as Al says, remove cambelt cover and have a look!

Tho sad to say what you have described it sounds terminal!

Cambelt should be changed at 60k, if it gone before that might be worTh getting in contact with VW!

Edited by VWR Lupo

official service guide is 60k miles. if belt failed before 60 unless they recalled the car to change it at 40k then by law you can claim the expence from them i believe as its not performing to expected reasonable use stated as 60k miles when the car was sold new.

Edited by qually

Its booked it at a garage on Friday originally to have the gearbox looked at but now it sees I'm goinhave a slightly bigger problem huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Any one got any idea of what knd of costs this could well damage with???

official service guide is 60k miles. if belt failed before 60 unless they recalled the car to change it at 40k then by law you can claim the expence from them i believe as its not performing to expected reasonable use stated as 60k miles when the car was sold new.

But VW now recommends 4 years so they might not pay out.

think i was quote ÂŁ230 on my TDI including waterpump

That is a really good price, im sure the quote i got from seat was ÂŁ3?? whixh i thought was expensive.

Chris

maybe vw recommend it is done at 40 k now but they can not back down on the service advice given at the time the car was sold new. as long as the car has been regularly serviced as per service instructions on owners manual provided, then a claim could be made against them. Even if the stamps in the book are from a small independent garage thats proof enough the car has been maintained to a suitable standard. as long as vw approved service parts/oils have been used perhaps.

maybe vw recommend it is done at 40 k now but they can not back down on the service advice given at the time the car was sold new. as long as the car has been regularly serviced as per service instructions on owners manual provided, then a claim could be made against them. Even if the stamps in the book are from a small independent garage thats proof enough the car has been maintained to a suitable standard. as long as vw approved service parts/oils have been used perhaps.

Yeah i think your right, thats why VW changed it and recommends 40K or 4 years to cover themselves because a few have gone early.

dealers also dont repair heads they just fit new head if valves damaged and new info always superseds old service info coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Some dealers repair them.

Darren had his repaired, and they polished the ports while they were at it!

It said im my manual cambelt change is due at 60k so you may have a case!

That changed some time ago.

If your car is under 5 years old, VWUK are happy to make a contribution.

As I found out when my 5 year 2 month GTI failed, they wont even look at it when over that age.

Ass.

duno about you but in my "Service guide" it says 40,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.

Yup they changed it when they realised plastic tensioners may be cheap to fit, but wont last 60k miles.

Wonder why they still use the same design? angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Some dealers repair them.

Darren had his repaired, and they polished the ports while they were at it!

That changed some time ago.

If your car is under 5 years old, VWUK are happy to make a contribution.

As I found out when my 5 year 2 month GTI failed, they wont even look at it when over that age.

Ass.

Thats not very good really, anything too get out of warrenty work!

To be honest, its pretty good.

You get 3 years.

To offer help for a further two is pretty rare.

I normally get an extra 12 months with Mercs, unless its a known issue like axles or sprint shift pumps.

Dont get a thing from Ford, as soon as the mileage/age is up your screwed.

I think the 5 year rule is pretty good, what I think is poor is the fact that VWUK do not have a technical department.

They take their advice from the dealer carrying out the work.

In other words, you need to make Friends with your service receptionist wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I think all manafacturs should offer a 5 year warrenty nowadays, if should not go on milage!

I know hyundai do a 5 year warrenty, if hyundai have that much condifence in there cars i think VW should have nothing to worry about.

hyundai do a 5 year warrenty, if hyundai have that much condifence in there cars i think VW should have nothing to worry about.

Hyundai have absolutely no confidence in their cars, the parts are manufactured so cheeply, it only costs them minimal amount when something goes wrong, plus with what i would call pretty much a lack of a dealer network... They leave it up to you to find a dealer to do the warranty repairs...

In the words of one of the Hyundai dealers we deal with at work - "Most people who buy one new, never buy another..."

Edited by nfbr

dealers also dont repair heads they just fit new head if valves damaged and new info always superseds old service info coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

new info supersedes old service info but thats for vw to worry about. it's the fault of vw that its new, they would have to do the new service actions free of charge or if not then honor any claim if something went wrong using the old service schedule. its not the customers problem at all. otherwise its miss-selling the car.