Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

That's a bit of a blow matey.

Wasn't it a brand new bike, or did you change (brain frazzled!)

Bike looms are a peice of cake smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> My dad showed me how to rewire them a while back, I redid the loom on my KH125 smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It was more the principle I was thinking of, but there again, it'd probably be more of a headache getting them to fix it

• 2 weeks later...

Jez you are a gezza mate.

Looks like me buying the less powerful, cable operated 75hp engine may have paid off.

The Magneti Marell ECU is completly mappable.

I am currently in talks with a company not normally know for work o anything other than charged motors.

They even have one in there workshop, so have the base map to start with.

As it stands at the moment.

The ECU, Wireing loom all VW sensors can be retained.

I'll keep you informed, but lets just say Im pretty bloody excited biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I owe you a drink.

A large one.

Jez you are a gezza mate.

Looks like me buying the less powerful, cable operated 75hp engine may have paid off.

The Magneti Marell ECU is completly mappable.

I am currently in talks with a company not normally know for work o anything other than charged motors.

They even have one in there workshop, so have the base map to start with.

As it stands at the moment.

The ECU, Wireing loom all VW sensors can be retained.

I'll keep you informed, but lets just say Im pretty bloody excited biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I owe you a drink.

A large one.

That's good news Andy. That's going to save you a fair bit of cash isn't it?

How far on are you now? How long until the motor goes in?

Ive still to get this bolt out the head sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

A chap who does some work for me is supposed to be coming around to fix my bike, and do this at the same time.

Only thing is I keep giving him too much work to do sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

The plan was to get it on wheels and move it out the way, but Ive been reading is not advisable without moving the wheels without the drivshafts being in place so that ideas gone now.

Still the remap should save a few bob.

Id still like to go stand alone, but at the moment I just want it running, and dont really want the added pressure of trying to get the rev counter and the rest of the littl bits working afterwards.

I'll wait till I break this engine and is ready for a rebuild before I go for a stand alone system I think.

Nott much point till then I dont think.

Edited by Tigz

Ok a proppa update at last!

Removed the head bolt and the spacer plate is now saftley in doors again.

The damaged track rod end is now changed.

The o/s drive shaft is also now in.

The n/s wheel hub is now on, and ready for the driveshaft, need to take the old hub to work to get the centre bolt off with a nut gun as it wont budge.

Ive used the Lupo GTI caliper, as now Ive seen it up close it looks alot chunkier than the Golf one.

Plus I think its silly messing with the brake lines for the sake of a few quid.

Wish Id not thrown my Lupo ones away sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Just need to get this n/s driveshaft in, and swap the Golf caliper for the GTI one on the o/s then pop the wheels back on.

Then its just a case of popping the engine in and wireing up the standard loom.

It wont start, as the imobilisor in the ECU will be for a 1.4 Polo which I have no keys for.

Wonder if its possable for VW to code my keys to it?

Or mapping chaps to remove it completly?

Anyway, how ever its done Im a little closer to it.

Now, wheres my winch?

As yet, I know of no Lupos with TBs.

Although I think LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI may beat me too it!

Ive been unable to find any pics of Polos, although I do have a video at home of a TBs Square back Polo on the rollers at 10krpm!

As yet, I know of no Lupos with TBs.

Although I think LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI may beat me too it!

Ive been unable to find any pics of Polos, although I do have a video at home of a TBs Square back Polo on the rollers at 10krpm!

ok thanks !!! i'll post pics if i find any smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

3575kb mwv.

Right Click.

Save Target as...

Heres that Polo Vid.

I'll leave it hosted untill I can be bothered to put something in its place smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hi Andi was that a 1.4 lump too?

Cam cover looks too wide to be an 8v. I know it's only got one pully wheel, but if you look there appears to be an end cap to another camshaft. It's quite likely the 2nd cam is run off an internal transfer gear. No idea what engine it is though. Could be an old Golf 16v unit I guess.

Lupo Gti only has the main cambelt around 1 pulley as well. Second cam is driven from a separate cambelt inboard of the main cambelt. Is the 1.4 sport engine like this as well?

Suppose the Golf 16v (MK2) looks even more like an 8v as the chain that links the 2 camshafts is at the opposite end to the cambelt end.

but looking at the pullys I think its an 8v 1400
There is another small pully behind the large pully you see in the pic.

See where you are coming from now mate. You would easily see the inner pulley when you looked at the main pulley wouldn't you. On the Mk2 16v though you may not notice the cam chain at the other end of the engine though.

Still the 10,000rpm unit is clearly not a late 16v or you would have seen the inner pully behind the main pulley.

The crank drives the cams with a belt.

It is only the two cams that are linked with a chain. Probably backed from the theory that short belts fail (need changing) more often than long belts so the real short "belt" between the cams was chosen to be a chain.

Well thats all my bits bought and paid for.

Just ordered the throttle linkages from Badger 5

Cheers again for the deal smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

So thats it.

Got everything I need now, so theres no excusses.

Just need to get that engine in now then.

Think Im going to rent a winch for the weekend after next.

If anyone fancies putting round to give me a hand I wouldn't mind wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edit.

Just ordered an engine lift.

Called turner hire

"That'll be £20 a day chap"

Ah good, so if I pick it up on Saturday and drop it off Monday that'll be £20 then?

"Er..hum... aye ok then"

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Picking it this Saturday.

Come wind or bad weather Im determined to have it in by sun set Sunday!

Wish me luck!

Edited by Tigz