Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

well not read this for a bit good to see its moved on so much last time i seen this the engine was still sat on the floor in your garden i was nicking bits of it so well done bud thumbup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbup:" border="0" alt="thumbup.gif" />

Had a couple of hours free, so thought Id try and clean the engine bay a little while I wait for the throttle cable.

What a crappy job, got so many cuts and scrapes on my hands.

Dont think VW ever thought owners would be removing the wax oil and polishing the paintwork when they designed the chassis.

The edges are so shape!

Just having a minute being getting started on the other side.

Spot the diffrence!

right.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

left.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

The drivers side leg has come up a treat hasn't it. I spent 5 hours a week ago with a Dremmel removing all uneccessary studs, brackets and wiring clips from my engine bay to smooth it up. Rerouted a few things to make it look less cluttered ready for the tb's.

Only a thought but if you painted the chassic rails in black it would always look clean and match the black colour of the firewall.

Im really pleased with how its coming along, needs to look great under there.

First time its ever been cleaned!

Ive got to grind down the welds and rust treat them (couldn't do this when the engine was in and chassis cut) I havn't got much silver paint, so like the sound of black.

Just the chassis rails you think?

Or under the mounts also?

Edited by Tigz

Just writeing a list of everything that needs doing, so I can try and try to work out what needs doing for each part, and if anyone thinks I have missed anything, I would be happy to be told

N/S engine bay:

• Weld chassis.
  • Rust issue Sorting.
  • Fill, sand and paint chassis leg.
  • Route Throttle Cable.
  • Sort out the pedel box (Not looking forward to this.)
  • Make and mount a bracket for the catch tank.

O/S engine bay:

• Clean Polish chassis leg.

Drive train:

• Remove Coilovers, clean, paint and wax.
  • Clean up and paint wheel hubs.
  • Grind down welds.
  • Stone chip inside the wheel arches.
  • Try to refit wheel arch lineings - Changed my mind
  • Replace the brake lines to work with Golf Calipers (why am I so tight? )
  • Fit ARB
  • Fit Coilovers, wheel hubs and brakes.

Engine:

• Get bolt holes counter sunk and sort something for the vacume feed on the plate.
  • Remove inlet manifold and replace with the plate and bodies.
  • Fit some kind of mount to the engine for the throttle cable.
  • Deside on an ECU so I know what other work is needed to be done before fitting the engine.
  • Fit Engine

Going to do in that order, as I think once I get started doing stuff, the wiring loom wont seem so scary.

Any advice/tips on any of these jobs would be much appreciated.

A Job gets completed, and I end up with more work than I started with!

• Refit the dash!

Edited by Tigz

Tigz

Maybe do chassis rails and mount black so the black / silver paint meeting line looks kind of natural like a factory job. Actually like everything silver but just thought black would kinda hide the dirt more when car is back on the road.

Loopy

I have lots to tell so will start a new post.

Tell ya what Ross, come and see Emma and the little one and I'll give it ya.. you could always give me a hand doing the pedel box while your there biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well, after two hours of sanding, one of the hubs has had its first coat.

Colour is hard to see at night (which is nice) but trust me, its lurvly!

Same colour being used on calipers and carriers before the detail work begins.

Hopeing to get it rubbed down ready and second coat before Chloe falls asleep and I can get to bed!

Although it doesn't look it in the pic, its unltra smooth. I know its not gonna be seen, but its nice knowing its right.

Cant see me removing the hubs again once complete, so hopefully it'll last the life of the car.

Why does everything take so long first-coat.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

Balls what a day.

Its never happend before, but three times I uttered those words "I hate this fcuking car"

Removed the coilovers, and wheel hubs and as all was going well I thought Id get the anti roll bar off and changed for the GTi one Ive had stood against the fench for the last year or so.

I spoke to Luposi a week ago and he said what a bitch of a job it is.

Remembering Im working on the floor, removing the four 13mm bolts is pretty easy, removing the exhaust from the mounts, hurts but again nice and straight forward.

To say putting the new one in was tricky is an understatement.

I ended up getting my welding gloves on, as my hands and arm is cut to bits!.

Come inside very pleased though.

the wheel arches are now prepped and painted, and the hubs are ready to be fitted.

Just got to change the brake lines, then I can start to build it back together again.

Looking forward to getting some wheels on the car, so I can move it around the corner so I have some more space (and hieght) to work.

Cars been parked out side the back door long enough!

Well the brakes are done.

Brake lines were alot easier than I first though, so Im back to thinking useing the cheaper Golf calipers are the way to go.

I know its only £20 diffrence, but who cares.

Coilovers are on, and camber set.

Just need to replace one of the track rod ends that ended up with a split boot when I was trying to work out how to remove it.

Also need to get some brake pads, then the wheels can be put back on.

Not looking forward to this pedel box sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Andi your a Legend Bruv.. all this work on the mota as well as redecorating.. and a new dad... too biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> well wish i had half the stamina yooz got...oh hang on i'm twice your age... Doh blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Bet you can't wait though

Really pleased with how they've turned out.

Got rub marks all over the arches so cant really see the point in fitting the arch liners to lose even more clearance.

Hopeing the black will stop the need for lineings.

Wish I could have fitted the wheels today though sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Really pleased with how they've turned out.

Got rub marks all over the arches so cant really see the point in fitting the arch liners to lose even more clearance.

Hopeing the black will stop the need for lineings.

Wish I could have fitted the wheels today though sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> TIGZ YOU'RE WORKING VERY HARD MATE AND SOON YOU'LL BE ABLE TO HAVE FUN KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MATE WHEN SHE'S UP AND RUNNING LET US KNOW ALL THE BEST "H" rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good progress made there mate. Those wheel arches look real nice painted black. Did mine earlier this year...makes a real difference doesnt it.

Remember everyone (and no disrespect to Andi here) Andi is not a mechanic or a car modifying regular. He is (like me I suppose) just enthusiastic about his car and is learning as he does this conversion. Makes what he is doing even more impressive. Mucho respecto to the lad!!!

fair play andi, this is coming on well.

hope you have plenty spare underpants, cos looking at those pictures id be shatting myself!

good work! keep it up, should be worth it all in the end

fair play andi, this is coming on well.

hope you have plenty spare underpants, cos looking at those pictures id be shatting myself!

good work! keep it up, should be worth it all in the end

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> me too mate?.....'crap where did this wire go???' laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />