Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

So do you not think the drive by wire can be removed without taking the dash out?

No way of chopping it out or anything?

This might be enough for me to cancel my conversion to be honest, no chance am I removing all my interior as it will never bee the same again and you know how fussy I am.

I dont know Darren.

It may be possable, I dont know if VW have a special tool they can get into the space to remove the allan key bolt.

I just know we couldn't sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

There may be another option though.

Take a read of this thread below.

A new member has fitted bike boddies to his 1.0, ad being a little creative with the flyby wire.

I for one, am not so precice so taking the dash out was the best option.

You may have the skill to do this though.

See here

i for one can see no way of ever getting the fly by wire unit out without removing the dash as it sits inbetween the top of the pedal box and is tight up against the top of the bulk head, andi if i was you i would put the dash back in once its in and running, just incase you need to get into anything, when i done mine i connected the clocks up and cable tied them to the steering coloum {SP} ,this is how i drove for 2 weeks until i was happy it was all working., any way you got my number if needed.

Edited by mitch unit 21

if i was you i would put the dash back in once its in and running, just incase you need to get into anything

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I can see the logic in that.

Starting to get there though.

Just made up a couple of brackets to mount the catch tank.

Used cable ties to hold the tank to the two L shape brackets.

Not happy with them, but they are solid, so will do untill I can think of another way to hold it.

Didn't want to mount the tank directly to the chassis.

The L brackets have done the job great, pulled the tank out slightly, so when looking diretly over the tank, you can see it all the way around.

Just waiting for Emma to get back with the car so I can go and pick up a drill to counter sink the head bolt holes on the spacer plate.

Hopeing the table top drill will be good enough to recess these holes, and drill and tap another four for the vacume feed pick ups.

catchtank.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

looks neat, bet you cant wait to get her back on the road! rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

how long has it been off the road now?

Edited by payna

how long has it been off the road now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got started today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seven months on Monday sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

So long as its done for the start of summer next year I'll be pleased with it.

Only got a little bit of work to do now, before I fit the engine.

Hoping I remember how it was removed as Ive got to fit it myself.

Think Ive decided against a budget ECU.

Ive been playing wit Emerald Mapping software, and although its pretty straight forward, theres so much to building a fresh map I dont think Id be up to it.

If I can find an ECU that will work with VW sensors I will go with that.

Xmas and birthday within the next 5 months, so you know what will be on my list wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Had a bad day yesterday.

Picked up my Dads vice and table drill and decided to counter sink the holes and add the holes for the vacuum feed myself.

All was going well, drilled out the 6 holes to allow the head bolts to sit flush.

Removed the inlet manifold and attempted to fit it.

The engine lift brackets had to be removed to allow the plate to sit in, 4 of the 6 bolts lined up, but the two to the left didn't, noticed the plate was catching.

There is a few cut outs, to allow for this, but this one side was catching.

Got the grinder out, and started to take off the 2mm needed.

First time I've not put on my welding gloves and the grinder slipped and sliced into my hand.

Hurt like hell.

Tried to fit it again, was no longer catching, so attempted to tighten the torque bolt up, and the wrachet slipped, rounding the bolt head!

Dont know how I'm going to remove it, still got the vacuum pick up holes to drill, so it has to come off.

Bloody hell Andi, you were lucky with the grinder, could easily have lost a finger or even your hand!!! You should start a post of all your Lupo related incidents...lol

If I can find an ECU that will work with VW sensors I will go with that.

This is what I am working on currently, initial ideas have included Motec but not sure on their prices aas some of their ECU's are £4000 - £6000 which will not be going on my car I can assure you. As soon as I have got an ECU I will post the details for you too look over.

The most annoying thing was, Id travelled down for the vice and then I didnt use it! lol

£4-6k!

Bloody hell, do they control the ambient temp as well!

Hopeing to have the car ready for April (my birthday wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )

Emma says I can have up to £500 for xmas + birthday so Im looking a no more than that.

I had a play with Emeralds mapping program, looks pretty straight forward.

Still think I may pay someone to do it though, although I want to watch how to do it.

Wouldn't mind two maps beinng built.

One for use, and one to get it through MOT in July next year.

hey buddy you get any thing done this weekend just seems quite in camp tigz

get some pic's of your hand up bud i love looking at war wounds wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

christ andi - fire, angle grinders, rhinos - is there nothing you're frightened of taking on? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

the oil catch tank - i just cable tied mine on top of a flatish bit where the original air feed used to be rock solid and filling up nicely! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

keep up the good work buddy - but without the injuries! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Not got any more done this weekend.

Was nice to took Emma and chloe out for the weekend.

Work mate is coming round this week to try and get the head bolt out for me.

I dont want to make it any worse.

Hands clearing up now, pulled the scab off on Frday, so now I just have a smaller scab, and a red patch

Looks like it will leave a cool little scar smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Tigz

• 2 weeks later...

WOW andi

well impressed with the progress fella just read all the dramas

if anything you should right a book on the car and you lol

well done mate is there any pics on current progress

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

No progress due to about 2 litres of Vodca I really should have left alone this weekend.

Im on earlys this week though, so I should have the car back on wheels by the weekend.

Just stripped down the hubs I picked up last weekend, wish I didnt through away by old brake lines so I could have used these Lupo calipers Ive ended up with.

Did manage to finally get the wing mirrors off though!

• 3 weeks later...
No progress due to about 2 litres of Vodca I really should have left alone this weekend.

Im on earlys this week though, so I should have the car back on wheels by the weekend.

Just stripped down the hubs I picked up last weekend, wish I didnt through away by old brake lines so I could have used these Lupo calipers Ive ended up with.

Did manage to finally get the wing mirrors off though!

Andi you've had time bro to get over you 2 litres of vodka now any changes mate.. i'm stillinterested in this bit of history laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> even if every one else has fallen asleep rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Only update I have is one of another excuse.

Had to spend Saturday fixing the bike.

Really am going to spend some time on the car this weekend.. no Im not, going to work do on Saturday night and I'll be holding the baby while emma goes for hair done..

I lost all power from the battery.

Only power I had was from the dyno when the engine was running.

Using the kick start wasn't too much of an issue untill I developed a starting problem.

thought it was the mixture as Id been messing with the carb but it turned out to be the shitty loom.

So made up a new loom, and the bikes working fantastic again biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Full days job though sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />