Black Paintwork

dj_slipp

What do you guys think of black paintwork? I have a negative feeling towards it. I think it can look absolutely stunning, but takes a lot of work to do so, and shows up stone chips a lot.

The reason I ask is because i'm looking to get an Ibiza Cupra. I don't want grey, my current car is red so I fancy a change, and there's so few yellow ones around. I do a fair few miles and although i'll pamper it regularly i still feel a black car will show up too many marks.

from my experience and friends experience with black cars they are a pain to keep looking good.

when they are clean they are stunning but as you said they show up everything and get dirty very quickly.

personally id go for a grey ibiza mate! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As mentioned above, they are a pain to keep clean and show the slightest scratch or stone chip or even water mark. But and a big but, if you clean it say once a week and polish it every other week, i think it would still look great, as i think a clean, polished black car looks stunning.

A black dirty car does look good also tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Has something about it

A black dirty car does look good also tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Has something about it

Your right, and mine is usually dirty at this time of year laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , its gets dirty too quicky to bother cleaning it every week wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Chris

Had mine 4 years.

As everyone on here knows, I am a cleaning geek but I will never own another black car again.

It takes me 3 hours just to wash the car and dry it as it shows every little mark so I have to be so careful. By contrast I have an old Mercedes in pale blue as my daily driver and it takes me less than an hour to wash it and it still looks spot on.

Black shows up every stone chip, swirls, scratch and water mark imaginable.....but when it is clean it does look lush.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

As with all the above - it's proabably the best colour when clean, it's just getting and keeping it that way that's the problem.

If you want a black car, get it. Just bare in mind that you'll become a slave to the two bucket method and have arms of steel from the polishing action.

i had to sell my black sport i just couldnt cope with how dirty he got within 3 minutes of being dried and how much the scratches showed up (plus i just relaly wanted a gti)

but when theyre clean they look mint. but is the effort worth it? at ultimate dubs last year it took me 8 hours to get him looking mint where as it took paul (silver sport) a quick rinse with the hose and a chamios dry...

good luck finding a car smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Jen x

But Hans looks so sexy when he is all clean and polished wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

I'd have a black car, if I only had a way of cleaning it properly. I can recommend red cars for low maintenace though - mine lasts ages between washes, but comes up lovely when I do put the effort in smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

I love black cars. That's why it so sad, that they are a pain in the ass to keep clean! And all the stone chips etc shows up so good when you polish the car too. One positive thing is that i could quit at my gym, cause i didn't need all the extra traning. I had enough just polishing and washing it every 2th day or so:P

I own a black car now, and the next car i will own, will not be black.

Sorry if my english ain't so good. Norwegian chap, you know:p

PS, black cars hate Norwegian conditions=(

I *love* black cars. But, not just black - oh, no. It has to be flat black - no metallic nonsense for me!

I don't mind driving them when they're filthly because they look so damn good for the (day or so) that they're clean! My last three have been flat black.

Everything shows up on them, though, from the tinest scratches and smallest dents; even dust, let alone the usual road grime. I only recently learnt the two buckets and no sponge method of washing them - it gets that anal... When I lived down south I even had to get a water filter just to combat the water marks.

Unfortunately, the previous owners of the Lupo have not been kind to it and it suffers badly from swirl marks. One of next summer's projects will be to get rid of them...

Deek.

I love black cars. I've own 4 from new (polo 9n, polo 6n2, mk5 golf gti and ctr) and 4 2nd hand (mk3 polo gt, 2 lupos and a mk2 golf gti). will always black cars as it's my favourite colour.

I'm still torn between flat balck and diamond black though. diamond black looks better when clean imo and flat black shows up imperfections more. I dont care if it gets dirty, all cars get dirty. and they look fab when clean.

I only recently learnt the two buckets and no sponge method of washing them - it gets that anal... When I lived down south I even had to get a water filter just to combat the water marks.

Deek.

2 buckets and no sponge method, how does that work then?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...