Fireworks

bossjohnc

Fireworks  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ban them, my cat goes mental when kids down the road start letting them off. If I was in the cinema and someone let off a firework i would call the police and restrain them. thats arson and endangering peoples lives. hopefully go to prison.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because you choose to keep an animal in your home everybody else has to be quiet?

Not trying to start an argument, but that doesn't seem like a good reason, fireworks were around before you bought your cat.

Banning them would stop most kids getting hold of them probably, but they'll still be available.

There are calls to ban everything nowadays though. Somebody falls off a trampoline so the parents shout 'ban them'. Kids hang about on footpaths so the council shut them off for everybody rather than stop the anti-social behaviour. It's just laziness and lack of responsibility.

We never really had fireworks when I was a kid, just went to the displays, but the last two years me and my mates have bought some and set them off in the garden. I enjoy it more than going to a display. We probably are a bit immature while we're doing it. But you have to accept the risks in everything you do, otherwise life would be fairly boring.

It's not fireworks that need to be banned, it's pricks.

fair enough. my point is they are so dangerous and people start letting them off way before and after fireworks night they become very annoying. Someone said people let them off in a cinema FFS. they are getting out of hand. the kids today just don't know how to behave. i think they should crack down big time on people behaving dangerously with them.

Edited by Putney

the kids today just don't know how to behave. i think they should crack down big time on people behaving dangerously with them.

I think they should fix the fact that the kids don't know how to behave! Fireworks have been freely available for god knows how long, why should we ban them now because parents today are incapable of bringing up their children to be responsible? It wasn't a problem ten or twenty years ago - don't ban the fireworks, fix the kids!

Edit: It appears this point may have already been made tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

...i still havent touched any drugs...

Really?

You don't know what you're missing!

blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

There are calls to ban everything nowadays though. Somebody falls off a trampoline so the parents shout 'ban them'. Kids hang about on footpaths so the council shut them off for everybody rather than stop the anti-social behaviour. It's just laziness and lack of responsibility.

Ok, slightly off-topic, but just as a classic example of that point...

On our local news yesterday, they had a story about a pear-tree in a local park. The particlar type of pears are very hard (as hard as rock apparently rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ). The tree has now had tape put up to stop people being able to go underneath it, and signs put up, cos if one of these pears could really hurt you if it landed on your head.

Has the world gone f-ing mad???????

When I were a nipper (9 years old ) a friend and I decided that it would be cool to make some nitrogycerine in his mum's kitchen, we did this and poured small quantities into used starting gun caps, we then figured that the only safe way to detonate them was to use his mum's brand new electric cooker rings, suffice to say that there was the most satisfying bang, but no more rings.. and no more sitting down for a week for both of us and decidedly no more home chemistry experiments (in my case for 9 years when I tried to make amyl nitrate in my mum's kitchen, but that's another story...) The point is that any form of parental discipline seems to be absent in most modern families, and this passes on into society in the form of anti-social behaviour, the fireworks aren't to blame, it's the lack of parental control/discipline that the majority of these events spring from.....

Ah, I see slowly everyone's coming round to my way of thinking wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

up to early teens we were still getting hit with somethign a bit like one of these but slightly more heavy duty 451745.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" /> you soon cotton on to not doing it again.

Ah, I see slowly everyone's coming round to my way of thinking wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I completely agree that it's the people behind the fireworks that are to blame (or indeed their parents). Fireworks don't hurt people, people hurt people.

But if you take the fireworks away, people can't hurt people using fireworks.

Sound familiar?

What will they find next though John?

I know what you're saying, but unless we take away everything moveable, the toe-rags will always hurt someone with something.

I just think the way things are at the moment isn't right - to hurt someone with a large plank of wood would require a lot of effort, pre-meditation, it would leave evidence and witnesses certainly wouldn't be unsure of what they saw if it was done in the street.

None of that is true when it comes to a firework, and I can't think of anything else that it's true for that you can just carry around with you in the street if you feel like it.

I might have to disagree with you here John. For one, I think questions would be asked if you walked round with a large plank of wood, especially if you were 14 with a hoodie on (rather than a big burly bloke wearing rigger boots, a tape measure and a pencil tucked behind your ear).

Plus, it has to be mroe pre-meditated cos you have to actually go and buy the firework, rather than pick up an inanimate object and hit someone with it.

If it was meant (and truly put in place) as a temporary solution, I'd say fine, but the real problem needs to be addressed. At the moment, all that's being treated is the symptomes, not the cause.

I totally agree that the cause needs to be treated, but meanwhile measures need to be put in place!

The fact that you can't carry a plank of wood around without looking suspicious only strengthens *my* argument.

As for pre-meditation, my own understanding is that kids in hoodies (generalisation) go and buy fireworks to 'cause mayhem', not necessarily to commit serious criminal damage or GBH/ABH as they may end up doing, possibly unintentionally.

My kids will learn fear er, I mean, discipline

whistle.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":whistle:" border="0" alt="whistle.gif" />

My kids will learn fear er, I mean, discipline

whistle.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":whistle:" border="0" alt="whistle.gif" />

Good for you, a belt over the backside never did me any harm!

(as a child, nothing kinky before anyone says anything)

So we're not going back to the earlier MSn conversation then John?? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

So we're not going back to the earlier MSn conversation then John?? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

was that not S&M rather than MSN? He's almost as twisted as Zippy that one... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

And barbed-wire wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

What, the mother-in-law??

Edited to say : Actually, the mother-in-law's great - it's my mum that's the problem!! lmao

Edited by stevewp