nitrous oxide

Petrified

I've done a few searches and not seen too much info on this forum.

does anyone have this fitted? and how much could a 100bhp 16v engine take? 50, 75?

I'm thinking for the 1/4 mile. been looking at engine upgrades and this looks like the cheapest way to go.

I dont want to kill the engine but want something that comes in pretty quickly. not sur ehow these things work. can you get them to switch on at certain rpm? would be ideal if I could get it to switch on at 3000rpm then obivoulsy it would stay on with the gear changes bringing it back to 5000-ish

does anyone have any links?

Think you will kill the engine. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

It can be done very saftley, just needs to be set up correctly, and not abused.

Theres a place in Doncaster called Wizzards of Nos, IMO the best in the business, in the UK.

Google brings them up, Id get in touch with them and ask for advice.

...and not abused.

ah darn sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

well theres a place in llanelli not too far from me (about an hour) which are agents for Wizzards of NOS. AND my insurance company will cover me no worries (adrian flux)

Edited by Petrified

just for anyone else interested I have had a reply from WON

Dear James,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

We can offer you a choice of two suitable systems for your application;

1) The Street-Blaster 100i is supplied as a DIY kit at £489 with a single

injector and a 5lb cylinder etc. The system is capable of achieving

whatever power level you want (up to 100+ bhp), however we would start you

off at 25bhp and increase to suit your requirements.

2) The Street-Blaster 150i-4 is a direct port system supplied as a DIY kit

at £585 with four injectors and a 5lb cylinder etc. The system is capable of

achieving whatever power level you want (up to 150+ bhp), however we would

start you off at 25bhp and increase to suit your requirements.

If you choose, you can exchange the 5lb cylinder for a standard finished

11lb cylinder @ £48 or a polished 11lb cylinder @ £113 (which is advisable

if you want the nitrous oxide to last longer between fills). It is

impossible to state exactly how long a cylinder of nitrous will last as it

depends on a few variables e.g. temperature/pressure. However at 750psi and

with 50bhp jets fitted, the 5lb cylinder will last for approximately 1 min

54 secs, whilst the 11lb cylinder will last for approximately 4 mins 12

secs. With 75bhp jets fitted, the 5lb cylinder will last for approximately

1 min 16 secs, whilst the 11lb cylinder will last for approximately 2 mins

48 secs.

To add extra confusion to the calculations, if you fit a progressive

controller you can alter the power and consequently the nitrous consumption.

The good news is that a progressive controller makes the nitrous last even

longer.

How to choose between the two options?

The advantage of the Street-Blaster 100i is that it usually produces very

impressive results whilst being relatively cheap and simple to fit. The

Street-Blaster 150i-4 is obviously more costly and complicated/time

consuming to fit but some vehicles do respond better with it. You might

find it useful to view pictures of both systems at

http://www.noswizard.com/product_info.php?...&products_id=59 and

http://www.noswizard.com/product_info.php?...&products_id=58

We also offer a choice of 2 progressive control units, the New Digital

Minimax @ £259 the New Street Maximiser @ £369 (race upgrades available at

an extra charge). With the aid of a progressive controller it should be

possible for you to add up to 50-75bhp. You can view the Minimax unit at

http://www.noswizard.com/product_info.php?...3&products_id=4 and the

Maximiser unit at

http://www.noswizard.com/product_info.php?...3&products_id=3

Our progressive controllers are time based units that can "simulate" RPM

linked power delivery WITHOUT the disadvantages of an RPM system.

Alternatively you could consider adding an RPM window switch to your system,

but it might not really be necessary.

You might also be interested to know that because we are the manufacturers,

you can have ANY special components/finishes you want. To give you some

examples of the possibilities, you can have multiple bottles, polished

bottles/valves, polished bottle mountings, polished or different anodised

colours of any alloy parts (including bottle valve and knob, bottle bracket,

solenoids and distribution block). You can see an excellent example of

tailor coloured components and an excellent show system @

http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1432

You can also add gauges and a purge system etc.

For more information and prices, please phone our office on (01302) 834343

All our systems deliver smoother power than US made kits (because of our

UNIQUE metering jet location - in the solenoid outlets), which makes our

systems safer to use but adding a progressive controller is even better. By

adding a progressive controller the power delivery is even smoother, PLUS

the car will be faster (on the same power setting), it will be more

manageable to drive and the gas will last longer.

If you would like to read independent opinions about our products or maybe

post your own question please visit our forum

http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/viewforum.php?forum=4&343

All prices are plus postage (& vat if appropriate).

To confirm that the Street-Blaster 100i is actually an option for your

application and to discuss your requirements in more detail, please phone

our office on (01302) 834343.

I look forward to receiving your next correspondence.

Regards,

Lisa (The Wizardess Of NOS)

I know someone who has a 100bhp wet kit from his old Omega V6 from WOZ.

He wants £300 for it, not that its any use to you, as I want it myself wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

get a decent size bottle, or it will be a frustrating experiance ... not to mention exspensive. personally i would go with the four fogger kit, with a progressive controller (make sure the solenoids you get can be pulsed) or you can run a three stage setup with two nitous solenoids ..

one solenoid has lets say a 20 hp jet, the other has a 40hp jet. so when you use the nitrous the first solenoid opens at x rpm, the the second solenoid opens at y rpm, the finally the 1st solenoid opens again at z rpm

pita to set it up ...

but i think the only thing that stops me from getting a nos kit is the price of the stuff, when i had my kit in SA it used to cost £7 to fill the bottle. and that was freezing the bottle first and getting 10kgs of nitrous , and i used to think that was exspensive

The one thing that conserns me is finding somewhere local to fill the nitrous bottle, and I think a refill is about £15 a go sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I'm only planning to use it on the track (isn't it illegal for road use anyway??), they can refill them at santapod. I think theres a place in caerphilly too not too far from me.

all i want is something that can switch on at say 3000 rpm give me time to get some grip, then stay on untill the end. for the 1/4 mile anyway. for trackday use a larger bottle would be handy and it would be better if it could come on around 5500 rpm so it was only used when needed (on a straight or coming out of a corner)

Edited by Petrified

I think there's a bit of a question mark over the strength of the newer VW small block internals - specifically the rods are fairly weak, I'd personally not be wanting to risk more than a ~25bhp shot in your motor without a progressive controller unless there's evidence to suggest they can take more without issue.

I've used a 50bhp shot on a Polo 3F motor, but didn't pay much attention to setting it up and neglected to upgrade ignition components accordingly. But lessons learnt from that now mean my bro uses a 50 shot (giving a realistic 30bhp on the dyno, and a similar amount of additional torque) on his 3F motor to good effect. Different plugs and fresh HT leads and coil were essential. He also has a wideband permanently hooked up to check the fuelling, along with EGT monitoring - perhaps a little OTT but it's all handy to know the kit's working as it should be.

I don't see why nitrous is illegal for road use? As long as it's declared on the insurance you should be fine - I think strictly speaking you might need a compressed gas warning label though...

WON have their own forums, which are quite useful for finding out info and comparing gas setups etc.

thanks for that thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" />

i was planning on 50bhp. I have a new set of plugs and leads waiting to go in.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a spare engine as I know they come up every now and then for peanuts. mine is on 116k now and I'm not too worried about pushing it too far. I wouldn't mind some sort of guage/monitor for it just to make sure it's all in order.

the GT, was he running it at santapod with the nitrous then? I thought that was standard?

standard... coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

meh, I just said what my engine size was, they picked the class rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I run a 50 shot with no problems, stick ontop of your ignition (spec it for 150bhp) and you'll be fine.

a wideband is a very very usefull tool, and i can data log so know exactly whats going on.

i run a nitrous pressure gauge, and am investing in driect port and a bottle heater at the moment, neither of which will be fitted to this engine though biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

can i say a few things ,

first i have seen NOS attached to a lupo

a diesil lupo

and that lupo owner

seems to think that his NOS powered durv burner can break seat mounts , now the longer serving posters here will know who i am on about laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

but anyway back on subject here

i would just be worried about the set up clifford mentioned , incase it got the the point where yeah it can take the 20bhp and then the 40bhp but when the soliniods opened for 60bhp it all ends in tears cause i thought that peoples internals ( the engines ) were popping with the strap on turbo kit cause the sports couldnt take being taken to about 160bhp or is that my shoddy memory kickin in again ??

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

No OLW from what i can remember yes your right there was problems with the sport turbo conversion which upped it to 165 with out internal mods

I was always told Nos has a bad name because of the amount of times people use the big jets dstraight away and dont use it properly and bang goes your engine

with a progressive controler id hope to be running 50bhp jets or it aint worth it in my eyes for the cost

wayne

I think a lot of the concerns over NOS in the past are set up related where people have fitted it themselves or had it fitted by a poor engine builder. You could blow up a standard Lupo engine running standard power if you swapped the engine management and then set it up wrongly.

Setting the engine up to run the correct fueling and ignition when the NOS is both on, off and in between is what ensures a good reliable installation.

And before anyone comes in shouting criticism I obviously realise that there is also a limit to how much NOS you can safely add to an engine before it explodes...even if it were set up properly.

I saw a video somewhere with some guys fitting a nitrous kit to some old early 90's clapped out civic 1.3 or something. on the rolling road with a 125 shot it made over 200bhp. They then tried it with and 250 shot. Poor thing blew up. Obviously this is only one off usage and of no use to this discussion but id thought id add it! I think a 25 shot will be completely and utterly reliable and safe. A 50 would be pushing it, but would probably be fine if you only used it from timeto time. And as for re-fills. My mates got a fcking huge tank in his garage that he gets filled every 6 months to a year, and he just tops it up from that

I saw a video somewhere with some guys fitting a nitrous kit to some old early 90's clapped out civic 1.3 or something. on the rolling road with a 125 shot it made over 200bhp. They then tried it with and 250 shot. Poor thing blew up. Obviously this is only one off usage and of no use to this discussion but id thought id add it! I think a 25 shot will be completely and utterly reliable and safe. A 50 would be pushing it, but would probably be fine if you only used it from timeto time. And as for re-fills. My mates got a fcking huge tank in his garage that he gets filled every 6 months to a year, and he just tops it up from that

thinking of doing it next year, got a mate who's an agent for WON

anyone local?

the closest place I can find is in llanelli.

but theres also Interpro, which is where I'm going next sunday for the SCC Rolling road in Bristol cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

i still wanna know what it costs to get a bottle filled here, lets say a 11lbs bottle

If you want to rent a large bottle for £70 a year, I can buy it through work from BOC.

Going to get a price from them tommorrow, if its reasnable I'll get some myself.