Lupo Steering Wheel

davy26

Title:     Lupo Steering Wheel (without centre pad/airbag)

Description:     In nice condition - please see photographs

Postage:     Included in price (within UK)

Price:     £22

DSCN3591_00003cr.jpg

DSCN3592_00004cr.jpg

Thanks for the interest Frank.  I bought this one when I was having my original Gti wheel refurbed at Royal. I got it from eBay so don't know the provenance, but it was advertised as being for all Lupo models. I believe it to be a genuine VW Group product - looking at the centre area there is an Audi stamping - see attached photo.

I budgetted £8 for postage, so would be £14 if collected.

smallDSCN3593_00005cr.jpg

I've just done a few pic comparisons... I think it's from a TT. @Rich will be able to confirm? I thought it might have been from an early gti or a sport. Never mind.

Would love a 3L wheel. But they go for silly money.

Thanks Frank - I'd guess that's logical, given the four rings stamping and that the rim is not just plain plastic.  I have seen another wheel on eBay with the 101266 stamping and this is listed as from an Audi A3 8P, 2004.  Need to dispose though as I've got a new Momo coming Monday,  a Royal-retrimmed on the car and my original Gti one taking up space!  Regards. David

Edited by davy26
added information

18 hours ago, mk2 said:

I'll happily have the original gti wheel.... :)

Thanks for the thought.  I think I'll keep it for now, especially in case of any gip with MOTs and the old problem of how an individual tester interprets the requirements regarding air bag presence or not, irrespective of functionality of the warning light. Regards. David

22 hours ago, mk2 said:

You can put a 10 ohm resistor across the airbag connector. It'll make the controller think that an airbag is there... light should go out.

That's what I was referring to.  The Momo boss kits come with the resistor automatically nowadays.  In my experience many MOT testers will pass the car if they see the light come on with ignition and then go off (courtesy of the resistor).  However, some like to say that current guidance requires that if the car had an airbag as OE spec and it's apparent it no longer has one, they have to fail it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, mk2 said:

I'll happily have the original gti wheel.... :)

Morning Frank.  As I've finished up with too many wheels (!), (Momo, original Gti, temporary hack and retrimmed Gti), just wondered if you'd be interested in the Gti wheel I had retrimmed/flat bottomed?  The quality of the retrim by Royal (£215) is great and it's had little use, but it didn't satisfy my yearning for a smaller wheel, hence the recent substitution of a Momo 320mm, (second pic).

Regards.

David

SmlDSCN2856_00007.jpg

01-03-20Corse.jpg

Yeah, you gotta just love that retrimmed Gti wheel. Looks gorgeous, but I'm guessing you'd like some decent cash for, which I sadly can't justify (I do have SDIs after all...).

PM'd.

Yes - and I realise I wrote the last post as a knee-jerk reaction to seeing how cluttered up a cupboard had become.  But on second thoughts, I'll put them up in the loft, as I don't think I could recover (npi) what I spent on the retrim by way of a sale at this point.  Anyway, steering wheel-wise, I'm still in the intoxicated, honeymoon phase with me Momo!😍

• 7 months later...

Since I was last posting on this subject, I've acquired and fitted yet another Momo - this time my holy grail, mid-70s Prototipo 320. So I'm not sure which one you're now referring to?:

1) Original Gti retrimmed and with flat bottom

2) Plastic Lupo wheel (used during Gti wheel retrim)

3) Momo 320mm Jet

Regards.

David

P1160219_00013.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, davy26 said:

Since I was last posting on this subject, I've acquired and fitted yet another Momo - this time my holy grail, mid-70s Prototipo 320. So I'm not sure which one you're now referring to?:

3) Momo 320mm Jet

Regards.

David

P1160219_00013.jpg

its bringing on a migraine

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, davy26 said:

3) Momo 320mm Jet

Regards.

David

P1160219_00013.jpg

Thanks David for your quick reply, basically I am looking for a Sports steering wheel with the airbag, which I can fit directly to the Lupo, any chance you have one available with the airbag. I have a Lupo S 2002. The standard T spoke steering wheel is a bit too big in size for me. Any advise or suggestions will be most appreciated. Please excuse me as I am not sure how to send a personal message, otherwise I would have messaged you, just joined and trying to figure out how to use the forum. 

Sorry Bcr, but none of my wheels retains the airbag. I'm somewhat obsessive about wanting a wheel that is aesthetically pleasing, both in terms of looks and 'feel,' and I've never used/seen one with airbag that came close! The standard Gti wheel is not too bad and I know that quite a few Lupo owners feel that fitting the 3L model makes for a nice upgrade, with a higher-quality aspect.  I think you're looking at £200-£300 for a 3L.  As with most things Lupo, many things are not readily available and may seem pricey, but if you know what you want and persist, the chase can be fun!  Good luck - I hope you'll find something that pleases you.  Regards.  David 

I'd love a 3L wheel. But they just go for such silly money which I can't justify only for the cool factor. Even in germany they're asking like £125. Mad. But you need the 3L clock spring that is 3L specific as well, which people are scared to remove. Oh, and that round airbag module.

18 hours ago, Y2ACP said:

The momo looks nice,the original gear stick is one of my favourite part of the car,are they seat covers or reatrimed?

Oh gawd, no! I've always regarded covers as naff.  All four seats have been properly re-trimmed.  I agonised for some time as to whether or not to have matching door cards - on the Porsches I've seen and been inspired by, some do, some don't - but eventually decided that would make the interior just too visually 'busy.'  My original covers and the seats themselves were in very nice condition considering the car is MY '05.

Regards.

David