Anyone else ever noticed the fuel pressure release valve??

FlipFlops

Has anyone ever noticed the fuel tank pressure release valve in the top of the filler pipe? Located about an inch into the pipe?

If you push it, it releases the pressure in the tank and let's you fill the whole tank up from empty to full in about 2 or 3 mins. It let's you literally brim the tank until the fuel spills out. It is a mega quick way of filling up. There's no more clicking of the pump. It just fills and fills and fills. Ive never noticed it until last week. Keep it pressed forward with the end of the pump while filling and it keep it constantly open giving you an almoat maximum filling speed.

It got 39 litres of diesel in it today. That was with about 1.5 litres still left before I filled it up. It came to 44 quid for what I've put in it today, it had a little bit left in.

I'm not sure how many miles you guys are getting to a tank but I get around 550 to 600 from 45 quids worth of fuel if I do all motorway and around 50mpg around all the country lanes where I live.

Give that button a push next time you filling up if you've not ever done it before :D:)

I think I woukd cock that right up if I attempted to actually remove it.

It's amazing what a difference it makes to the time to fill the tank. Its nice to know you've actaully filled it up. I usually give up but that little valve is like magic! :D

I believe it's there to accommodate for the expansion of fuel when it heats up. If you brim the tank and then park in the sun, the car will naturally heat up, fuel will expand and start leaking out of the tank. As long as you get a good few miles after refueling then there's nothing to worry about  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yes, provides ullage space for fuel expansion in warm temperature. I use it in both of my VWs, but never if I'm going straight to park up on a hot day, but as I fill up at the start of a journey though, that'll be always.

10 hours ago, Derv said:

I am yet to try this on mine. With 39 litres in it, I should be able to crack 1000 miles on a tank. :)

Lol 1000 from one tank of fuel. That's like 115mpg ?

34 minutes ago, FlipFlops said:

Are you using an Irish calculator to work out these figures lol. 

Nope. There's guys on LupoNL who have turned their 3L's into 2L's :o 

That little button thing on the right side of the filler depresses when you screw the cap back on. It did surprise me though how much more fuel you can get in with it pressed in.