GTI - Which brakes??

drummachine

Im in need of some new pads and discs on my GTI very very soon. Instead of putting VW genuine pads and discs in from work i fancy upgrading the brakes.

Anyone have any recommendations for me and where to look?

Chris smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the 280mm conversion........cheaper and bigger discs too.....helps stop the ABS from kicking in.

You will need

Replacement caliper carriers from the G60, Ibiza Cupra Mk4 etc

Normal GTI pads

New 280mm x 22mm 4 stud discs (cheaper than the standard GTI stuff and there is more available on the market)

The way forward is some nice 4 pots! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

The way forward is some nice 4 pots! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Nice, get ur money out though!!

Do the 280mm conversion.......helps stop the ABS from kicking in.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but why would you want to STOP the ABS from working? Surely ABS is a good thing?

NOCK

can't say i've noticed any difference with regards to acceleration due to the g60 brakes

can definitely say that it stops better

can definitely say that the abs doesn't kick in as often as it use to, ie over very minor bumps when braking ect...

can't say i've noticed any difference with regards to acceleration due to the g60 brakes

can definitely say that it stops better

can definitely say that the abs doesn't kick in as often as it use to, ie over very minor bumps when braking ect...

i agree!

When pushing hard the standard set up ain't much cop in my opinion.

Looking forward for less brake fade with the 280's and if I can stretch for the 4pot brembo's that would be awesome!!

i agree that when in full attack mode the brakes can fade. competition type pads will avoid that, or the bigger disc upgrade. i would love some 6 pot aluminium calipers and alloy bell discs. 280mm/300mm would be ace.

i'm not quite sure how the pistons are in the correct position for a 280mm disc when they are in the correct place for a 256mm disc. surely the setup cant be right for braking force? maybe this is why the abs kicks in less? you would still get the better resistance to fading as the disc is bigger though.

the caliper carrier moves the caliper outwards, thus moving the piston outwards as well

you mean it moves the caliper upwards by 24mm to reach the outer rim of the disc circumfrence? ie when the 280mm disc starts wearing from the gti pads you can see the contact right from the outer edge of the disc rim, no gap where the pads dont touch at the outside edge..

Edited by qually

the pads on a g60 are the same shape/size as the lupo gti ones, just a bit thicker due to the original lupo discs being 25mm thick, and the g60's are 22mm thick

the only difference between the calipers is the brake pipe that connects them

i'm not quite sure how the pistons are in the correct position for a 280mm disc when they are in the correct place for a 256mm disc. surely the setup cant be right for braking force? maybe this is why the abs kicks in less? you would still get the better resistance to fading as the disc is bigger though.

That's the whole point of fitting bigger brakes. Even if it was possible, if the caliper stayed in the same place then fitting bigger discs would be a complete waste of time. Think of a brake like a kiddies roundabout. If you grab the edge you'll slow it down, grab the middle and you'll probably twist your wrist off laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

just held both discs in my hands and couldn't really tell any difference tbh. surely being able to brake a bit later ultimately leads to a slight advantage when it comes to those 'racing' situations?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but why would you want to STOP the ABS from working? Surely ABS is a good thing?

Its too sensative with the smaller brakes and mine used to kick in for the most stupid of things.......now its fine and kicks in when the car really needs it

Edited by mike_m

just held both discs in my hands and couldn't really tell any difference tbh. surely being able to brake a bit later ultimately leads to a slight advantage when it comes to those 'racing' situations?

you cant brake later with bigger brake discs.

can you stik them on scales to get a weight in kgs?

Edited by qually

That's the whole point of fitting bigger brakes. Even if it was possible, if the caliper stayed in the same place then fitting bigger discs would be a complete waste of time. Think of a brake like a kiddies roundabout. If you grab the edge you'll slow it down, grab the middle and you'll probably twist your wrist off laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

the reason i'm asking is that i would like to know if the contact is raised up by 24mm to the outer edge as thats how its meant to be. yes you get a better braking effect. it wouldnt be a complete waste of time as the disc would not get overheated like the 256mm. i wouldnt bother with it though. if the calipers move to use the outer disc then it must be a good braking modification once stock setup upgrade options have been looked at.

Edited by qually

Do the 280mm conversion........cheaper and bigger discs too.....helps stop the ABS from kicking in.

You will need

Replacement caliper carriers from the G60, Ibiza Cupra Mk4 etc

Normal GTI pads

New 280mm x 22mm 4 stud discs (cheaper than the standard GTI stuff and there is more available on the market)

Are you saying if you have a gti all you will need to upgrade your front brakes to 280 are the caliper carriers

and the discs and some new gti pads ? And use your original calipers.