Fitting rear speakers in non GTi

Hi guys,

Has anyone fitted rear speakers in a non GTI before? Ive pulled the rear door cards off and found the speaker mounts built in. Ive ordered some speakers & im now wondering how to fit them, while keeping the door cards!

Has anyone got any ideas? (what to cut it with?...etc)

any help will be much appreciated!

cheers,

Keith :shades:

I've just done mine. I had to make up an 18mm spacer/adapter out of MDF because the hole size is for 7" speakers, and the biggest standard size is 6.5" so they wouldn't fit otherwise.

Then I stripped off the cloth from the pannels and cut a hole in the middle for the speaker to stick through. It was a lot of trial and error cutting with a sharp knife, and in the end it took quite a while.

After that I got a 50mm x 460mm x 460mm square of seating base foam, I was able to cut shaped sections to fit inside the elbow gap in the rear panel.

This took ages and created a lot of foam pieces all over the floor! But the idea is fettling it down from an oversize with a hot carving knife, and using a hot-glue gun to secure it.

Covering it is quite easy if you use 2 people and hot-glue round the edges. I also cut a hole in the middle of the foam so it didn't spoil the sound quality.

A lot of effort, but a total outlay of about a tenner and a days half-arsed work. (not including wiring)

I've just done mine. I had to make up an 18mm spacer/adapter out of MDF because the hole size is for 7" speakers, and the biggest standard size is 6.5" so they wouldn't fit otherwise.

Then I stripped off the cloth from the pannels and cut a hole in the middle for the speaker to stick through. It was a lot of trial and error cutting with a sharp knife, and in the end it took quite a while.

After that I got a 50mm x 460mm x 460mm square of seating base foam, I was able to cut shaped sections to fit inside the elbow gap in the rear panel.

This took ages and created a lot of foam pieces all over the floor! But the idea is fettling it down from an oversize with a hot carving knife, and using a hot-glue gun to secure it.

Covering it is quite easy if you use 2 people and hot-glue round the edges. I also cut a hole in the middle of the foam so it didn't spoil the sound quality.

A lot of effort, but a total outlay of about a tenner and a days half-arsed work. (not including wiring)

You got any pictures Tom?

Cheers.

I can take some, but how do I host them? Don't really want a flickr account or anything so is there some free webhosting place I can use? It's odd because the last forum I used that uses this setup allowed direct upload.

Hi Tom,

That sounds like a fair amount of DIY! Im going to make adaptors to hold the speakers in place, but if you stripped the cloth trim off, did you put it back on?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but you seem to know a fair amount more than I do about fitting speakers!

cheers mate.

Hi Tom,

That sounds like a fair amount of DIY! Im going to make adaptors to hold the speakers in place, but if you stripped the cloth trim off, did you put it back on?

No, stupidly I chucked the cloth away. It's a real bugger to get off because the glue they use is so strong and it deforms badly when you pull it off. I just bought some grey lining felt from a craft shop, and it's barely a noticable difference from the factory cards.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but you seem to know a fair amount more than I do about fitting speakers!

cheers mate.

Fitting speakers - maybe.

Re-trimming - not until I started this job!

Cheers for the link to the hosting page. Unfortunately I forgot to take the pics and it's a bit dark now so I'll spare you the crappy picture and post up a decent one tomorrow.

Fair enough mate!

What tools did you use to cut the holes in the door cards? Im going to mount the speakers on an MDF bracket and then put the door card back on, but need to cut the holes so I can tidy it up and get good sound!

To cut the card I marked the rough hole, a bit on the small side, and then stabbed it with a knife (following all appropriate health and safety measures, of course :blink: )

Using narrow long very sharp knife is the best, or a hacksaw blade in a handle attachment. it's only glorified cardboard the glue is harder to cut!

Pics to follow...

Sorry about the light marks, but they're pretty clear. If you want any more just ask.

dsc00021al2.jpg

By tomls, shot with S700i at 2008-04-05

dsc00020fj2.jpg

dsc00019zh1.jpg

By TomLS at 2008-04-05

dsc00018gy9.jpg

Thats a very neat job indeed!

I dont think im going to be able to re-trim my door card as ive got a sport with the weird tim&tom red trim!

What I was going to do was fit the speaker like you have, cut the door card & put the speaker cover over the hole, not as professional as your way!

Oh well ill see what happens, ill probably balls it all up!

Thanks for the comments.

I say have a go at your own. For £14 the pair they're almost perfect it just takes some time and care (and many hot glue sticks!)

• 1 month later...

i bought a second set of door cards but never needed them as it went well first time for me putting grills in to the door cards. sound is fine too. will put up ics for you too see. Cheers Daz