Fuel Economy

loopyh

hi

For all you 1.0 litre and 1.4 litre petrol owners out there, just wondering in real terms how much are you getting mpg out of your cars? in mainly town driving . just wondering which engine choice to go for out of the two? Would love to run a GTI but cant afford that.

You're not going to get brilliant fuel economy out of either, but if you're soft footed you might be able get 40mpg :)

I want to get one , went to see a 1.4 tdi yesterday in liecester , some Iraqi lad was selling it , its on gumtree. It was a real shed , so dirty unbelievable , and rust on 4 areas, the chap described it as very good condition and its anything but that. oil leaks galore especially round egr valve, , water leak from rad and sounded worse than others ive heard. So am considering a petrol one instead now. There arent many tdi out there and think some are unreasonably priced.

I have a 1.4 Sport, and whilst it is capable of 45mpg, it involves drafting trucks at 56mph and using minute amounts to throttle opening. Driving normally it gets around 35, which is about the same as my VX220. I often question why I keep it ha!

I have a 1.4 Sport, and whilst it is capable of 45mpg, it involves drafting trucks at 56mph and using minute amounts to throttle opening. Driving normally it gets around 35, which is about the same as my VX220. I often question why I keep it ha!

Is yours the 2.2 or the turbo?

Good choice. I heard the turbo is just silly lol.

The turbo is slightly softer and slightly heavier, but is considerably faster is a straight line.

You can supercharge the 2.2 to 250bhp reasonably easily, which is always an option. Difficult to justify that level of power/weight on a road car though

Totally off topic, but are you the same Defcon5 from PH thats taking his VX to the big breakkie meet in Malton? If yes I'll be there in the Golf!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting an average 70mpg in my v reg 1.7 sdi and using a 50/50 veg oil mix, not bad as I claim 25p per mile whilst using it for work

where do you get your veg oil

Totally off topic, but are you the same Defcon5 from PH thats taking his VX to the big breakkie meet in Malton? If yes I'll be there in the Golf!

Sorry, yes that is me, I ended up getting called in to work in the middle of the night and didn't end up going in the end!

Was it good?

Sorry, yes that is me, I ended up getting called in to work in the middle of the night and didn't end up going in the end!

Was it good?

Not really :lol:

Some nice cars but a lot of dross, too many Fords and some chavs wif dee bangin choons.

• 2 weeks later...

Well , I went to the extra expense in the end and went for the best 1.4 tdi I could find ( within a reasonable price ) and am impressed as to fuel economy. Mixed driving it does 60 mpg easily and on motorway driving ive maxed out 68mpg ( with a bit to spare ). why did I not know about these lupo tdi's before I ask myself. will probably get a thread up and running soon after deciding what look/theme to go for. :thumbsup: