Are coilovers a must?

ELS

Hi :wave:

Got a dilemma on my hands. I own a lovely GTi and at the current time it is completely standard. My friends in the past have told me my lupo needs coilovers and frequently took the piss out of the height of my car :(. I personally feel that my lupo doesn't need coilovers because my front bumper is about 6 inches off the floor and it scrapes more than i'd like. But the back bumper is so high it's embarrassing.. + my car is in dire need of new rims. Unsure what to be spending my wages on this month. Should I get coilovers?

Old picture but might show what I mean.

20130315_160031_1_zps2c98a400.jpg

Thanks x

Edited by ELS

In all honesty, it's a silly question. If your mates told you to jump off a bridge would you do it? If you're happy with it, don't change it. As said above you could look at some lowering springs. I believe you can take the rear adjuster off which should give you a 20mm drop. That might be enough if you do think it's too high. That said, what cars do they drive? If they are laughing at you as they pull away in a Citroen Spaxo, then I wouldn't be too bothered :)

In all honesty, it's a silly question. If your mates told you to jump off a bridge would you do it? If you're happy with it, don't change it. As said above you could look at some lowering springs. I believe you can take the rear adjuster off which should give you a 20mm drop. That might be enough if you do think it's too high. That said, what cars do they drive? If they are laughing at you as they pull away in a Citroen Spaxo, then I wouldn't be too bothered :)

I see what you mean. They all drive dubs, Beetle, Lupo 1.4s and Corrado. They are all very low and corrado is air ride, feel silly when I park up next to them but will see what I can do/

That does look really high at the back for some reason, GTI suspension is about 20 mm lower so the springs might have been replaced with non-GTI items on the rear.