Cheapy Cheap Mods to 1.0

deeplupo

Just getting back into my Volkswagens after previously owning over 20 inc g40's, mk2 golfs, vr6s etc and then going to the dark side of the smart car (through work) for a couple of years.

Basically picked up a poverty spec 1.0 lupo and just looking for cheapish mods to put a smile on my face.

Ive changed the beige interior completely to darker inc carpet, dash, seats and even introduced some cupholders.

Its got coilovers on it and Ive serviced and changed the front grille rail.

Basically look for little mods I can do from higher spec cars for cheap e.g brake swap, rear beam convertion, central locking etc anything that I can do cheap to make a big difference :)

Cleaning & polishing is your best & cheapest mod.

Rear beam from a sport will give you disc brakes. Not much point on a 1.0 tbh.

Central locking kits are pretty cheap and there's a guide (or 2) on here for fitting one.

Wheels - loads of nice cheap OEM wheel choice in 4x100, anything off Mk1s Mk2s Polos up to 6n2 etc etc. Or rattle can your steelies!

Painting your dash vents can be a really effective mod & it costs paint + wet 'n' dry.

In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend painting vents as you can't reverse it. I would always suggesting covering using adhesive felt, vinyl or something. Requires a bit more time and effort though, so it's up to you.

Clean + Wash + Wax

LED Reversing Lights (x2) - cost me £6... but make sure you get the bright ones. Some of them look like fairy lights.

Full LED Rear Light Cluster inc. indicators - I haven't done it, but would cost you about £12-15 at most. You'll need to introduce a resistor to stop rapid flash on indicators.

LED Side Lights - Use the Cree ones. Cost about £6 a pair.

Head Unit - Halfords were selling a Pioneer last week for £29!!

Central Locking - Buy the kits from eBay/RClick. Just a case of fitting the solenoid and wiring.

OEM alloys can cost not too much if you look around.

Brakes are shocking at high speeds. Any bigger brake fitments for the front??

Im looking for a nice cheap oem set as we speak, cant seem to find anything at the mo.

And will definitely be doing the central locking.

Power steering an easy fit??

Cheers bud

Sounds like a massive job. Power steering rack, power steering pump, piping? I guess the mounting brackets may be there, but will the standard 1.0 ECU even support power steering? If so the plug as well?

Damn that pioneer is cheap, with usb input too. :)

LED rear cluster. Where do I get this skezza??

You buy the bulbs and just replace the original ones lol I must admit when I did it, it looked nice, I only switched back because of the rapid flicker thing:

The popular company is AutomotiveLED's but I find them overpriced but there are places on eBay that'll do them much cheaper. If you want I can find you a few links?

LED rear light bulbs are pointless, the lenses hide their aesthetic appeal.

Do the number plate ones though, it's two 36mm festoons.

Panel filters for the airbox can be had for £30 odd, will give it a little more throat.

Polo 6r aerial, look nice, work nice £10 off eBay.

Trudat.

Also de-wipering the rear costs about £1.79 for a 25mm grommet.

I double the SMD LEDs conversion, I swapped the position(?) lights (small ones in the headlight), the interior one with 6 SMD and the plates - looks a lot more modern!

Also, i'd like to change the side repeaters on the wings, with orange/yellow LEDs, is it possible? Where to find such leds?

Edited by Danyutz

LED rear light bulbs are pointless, the lenses hide their aesthetic appeal.

Do the number plate ones though, it's two 36mm festoons.

Panel filters for the airbox can be had for £30 odd, will give it a little more throat.

Polo 6r aerial, look nice, work nice £10 off eBay.

They last for ages and they take like a millisecond to come on so they look pretty cool. I would say they have their point :)

Number plate ones are a good shout too! Panel filters as well.

Change the gearknob and gaitor for one out of a polo, handbrake cover out of a polo (see my build thread, i had them)

one think i would highly reccomend, speaker upgrade. The standard ones are decent but i changed mine for focal ones, still ran off the headunit and the sound was unreal. If you really want to push the boat out amp them.

just try and get it super clean. Thats the best way to get a lupo looking good in my opinion... clean

• Like 1