Intermittent starting issue... (Solved)

mysterylemon

Quick update..

I never got around to trying to remove the fault codes but have been using the other key for the last week or so. Not a single fault. Started perfectly the last week and no sign of the previous issue.

Starting to look towards the key now due to another thing I noticed on the fault codes. I over looked it originally as it didnt seem something that could be related but it could potentially point to a dodgy key.

As well as the immobiliser intermittently not recognising the key (why it wouldnt start), the central locking would intermittently not recognise the key. I dont have the code to hand but it was a fault on the central locking ECU stating along the lines of "error reading key. Intermittent"

It didnt ever not let me into the car and wouldnt have thought the door barrels would read the key either but it would point towards the key being faulty too.

Gonna give it another week and if I still havent had a faulty start, switch back to the other key and see if the fault returns :thumbsup:

:angry2: Fault is still there.

Went for a whole week with no problems then had it a number of times yesterday and my partner has had it today whilst driving it.

Seem to have worked out a bit of a pattern now. Defo happens more when the car is warm. Usually if I've driven the car and stopped, say to pop into a shop, come back out and it wont start. Pumping the pedal gets it going but it's almost like trying to start a flooded engine. Not had symptoms like this since driving with a choke! Seems fine, every time if the car has been left to cool for atleast 30 mins or so. It doesnt happen every time you stop the car though.

Anyone else got any ideas what to look at? Pretty much 100% sure its not immobliser related. Makes no sense for it to be. Both keys are obviously either broken or fine, so I'm assuming fine. If it was the immobiliser or a key, it wouldnt start at all and would cut out whilst driving too.

So something mechanical that causes it to not restart after warming up... any ideas? :ermm:

Sounds like you having the same issue ive been having it rarely happens thow its a bit unpredictable I all so have no idea what it is ,,I think its either two things the Throttle boddy as that has the idle air control valve built into it or its the starter motor thats the two im going to tackle if gets worse :) But ive yet to remove my entire throttle body as I was going to give it a good clean with carb cleaner but you will have to replace the gasket :( and not sure what the part number is yet.

I *think* I've cracked it.

Did some googling on warm starting issues and came across a number of people with exactly the same symptoms as me. Further into the thread, people started asking if their temp gauge works or not as that would indicate whether the engine temp sensor is working or not, and if it isnt working, could flood the engine when warm, which is exactly what i'm getting!

Funnily enough, my temp sensor has been intermittent since I got the car. On and off all the time. Never thought to relate it to starting problems though and just assumed the dial was dodgy.

Defo worth looking into anyway. Going to wait and see if the gauge is working when I get to work tomorrow. If it isnt and the car wont restart, i'll assume it's that sensor at fault.

Is this what you are referring to unfortunately the pics links are broken :(http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29077

Not sure if these are the correct part numbers for your year or engine size ? but 059 919 501 A and a seal n 903 168 02

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24617

Edited by audiocandy

Yup that's the one.

I've ordered it online. Not a mega cheap one (start from £4.50!) but one from a brand. Not bothered about genuine parts. They are just rebranded parts from other manufacturers anyway.

Gauge hasn't worked at all on the way to work today, pulled into the car park with the car nice and warm but it still restarted fine... So no closer to a definite solution. Will replace the sensor anyway and see what happens after. The gauge working would be a nice bonus anyway!

Guessing I have to drain the cooling system to fit it. Not convinced doing what the person in that link did is a good idea. Will likely introduce air locks to the system...

You don't have to drain the coolant - although if it hasn't been changed in the last couple of years I would do it anyway.

The sensor has two outputs, one to the gauge and one to the ECU, so just becaus the gauge reads 0, that doesn't mean it's giving the ECU the same reading, it may be providing a value that is suitable to start the car given the actual temp.

Having said that, I have never seen a temp sensor stop a Lupo from starting.

If its only when its hot I'd do a compression test. Does it use any oil? General servicing up to date, fuel filter/plugs etc?

Regarding genuine parts, yes they are made on behalf of VW, but are generally to a very high standard. Even good stuff can cause issues, Bosch plugs for example.

If you buy the genuine stuff from Lupoboz on here its generally no more expensive anyway

It could stop the car from starting if the ecu thinks its cold as it would flood the engine, much like trying to start a warm car with the choke out...it just won't.

Makes sense in my mind anyway as it starts by pumping the pedal which is not immobiliser related.

Could be the signal to the ecu is working even though the one to the dial is not. Obviously faulty anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on this as I hate it when going through searches and never find a conclusion to a problem...

Finally got round to fitting a new engine temp sensor to the Lupo the other day and the starting problem, that had become an almost daily occurance, has stopped.

I'm not 100% convinced myself yet as the problem would often come and go but in situations I know it would have happened before (nipping into a shop after driving around a bit (petrol station etc)), it hasn't done it since replacing the sensor.

I'm calling success on this one so far, even just for the bonus that I now have a working temp gauge. The Lupo also does seem to be running smoother and starting easier from cold and hot regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Been over 2 weeks now and not once has the car failed to start. It's also starting better in general.

Great success!

So if you have intermittend starting issues with a fuel gauge that doesn't work (or rarely works), replace the coolant temp sensor.

• 5 months later...

Hiya, I've had the same problem, almost identical symptoms. I took it into a garage after reading this and asked them to plug it in to see if there was any faults with the sensors. No faults were found and after further investigation and they told me that it could have been one of the valve guides leaking a tiny bit of oil when the engine is stopped and hot (Making it difficult to start, but not impossible, as it would start once the oil had been flushed out of the system after a few attempts of starting). They told me that if it was this that was going wrong it was a simple washer that needed replacing but would have been a £500 job in order to get to it as the engine would of had to have been taken apart etc...

I was wondering if the replacing the sensor has fixed the problem in the long run or have you had any problems since posting this? As if it has sorted it I think i'll replace them regardless of the computer readings as a £30 job may (hopefully) sort it.

Jack :)