Higih fuel consumption

rosol88

I had check engine light i changed lambda sensor and fuel consumption went a bit down but still takes around 15 liters per 100 miles any advice ? i heard i need to change both sensors in same time because sometimes it might cause problem as well but check engine light didnt pops up ;/ i really need to get rid of that problem because i cant afford to put 40 quid a week petrol

Its none of the above, change your coolant temp sensor, if its faulty it will give a reading of -40'c to the ecu and massively overfuel the engine, and only 12 quid for the sensor, guaranty its that!

Its none of the above, change your coolant temp sensor, if its faulty it will give a reading of -40'c to the ecu and massively overfuel the engine, and only 12 quid for the sensor, guaranty its that!

If this sensor is his problem then surely temp gauge wouldnt move on the dash ? I have similar problem with high consumption but want to try rule out things before it gets too expensive .. my temp gauge still works.

most vws have 2 temp sensors (in some the same sensor gives two outputs) one for the gauge one for the ecu, its quite common for the gauge to still work fine but the ecu thinks its -40, you need to plug it in a check what the ecu is actually reading.

think yourself lucky, recently heard of a garage that had to change a temp sensor on a w12 audi, part was £25 labour was £1200!!!! its engine out job.

is it hard to change it ?

No mate, so easy but just don't lose the clip like I did when it popped off !!!

No, remove clip/remove sensor/plug in new sensor/replace clp/top up coolant

Not really done much driving in mine since changing the sensor , it seems to have made a little bit of a difference although not the difference I was hoping for .. Looks like its gonna be the lambda on mine.

Remember the lambda fault is usually a dirty or failed throttle body or egr valve... Its usually a red herringleading u in the wrong direction

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys What i did was bought a 25 pound used o2 sensor and bought new cat changed it and after 2 days exacluy today check engine light went of by it self why is that ? xD it could be because of cold weather or something ?

I had the opposite of this. Mine gave the correct reading to the ecu but -40 to the needle on the dashboard. Was irritating but not a big deal. Had it fixed eventually when my coolant level sensor packed in.