Just had my car Re-Mapped - But need some urgant help!

LUPILU

Basically it was done down Portsmouth at a place that do REVO maps (very good service etc - one of the best in England so i have heard) it was nice to know they had 20% sale on at the time, so i got it for £195 instead of £238 :thumbup:

Anyway the mechanic came into where i was sitting and said something about my MAF sensor reading being low? (apparently its the part that controls the air/fuel intake) he said it was reading at about 60 and it should be running at about 150 or something? (sorry my memory is bad, and not to mention my knowledge on that is crap!)

Anyway he completed doing the map, but i was under the impression by the way he spoke, that it wasn't going to be running at its full potential without having this part changed? (at a quoted £170 including VAT). and it would take him about half an hours work.

So my question is, if this part was changed without it being re-mapped again, would my car benefit from it i;e feel faster?

Or would i have to get my car re-mapped again after the part was installed (it has a 30day money back on the mapping so it shouldn't cost me again)

Also i had a quick look on the Internet, and the part for my 1.4TDI LUPO is about £70, so is it easy to fit at home? and save the £100 extra?

My car wont blow up in the mean time without it? :question:

Thanks again lads

Im not an expert on the subject but basicly the MAF sensors controls how much fuel/air is sent to the engine so the more fuel/air the better the engine will perform so if you change the part and also have the map then you will be benefiting from both anyways :) But im sure someone can explain better than me lol

It simply sits inbetween the airbox and air input hose and a small harness/plug connecting to it..............not a difficult job at all to remove and change.

Just make sure you put it back on pointing in the right direction of air flow.

• Like 1

Why did he map it knowing a critical part was giving false readings?

Because profit? LOL Like most companys!

Yeah but they have a 30 day monney back, so if i got the MAF sensor fitted at home for about £70 then went back and got monney back for the map, then surely i could go back a week later and get it re-mapped. Even though they wouldn't like that haha.

But the main thing i was asking is, if i just installed the MAF sensor at home, would i automatically see an increase in preformance, or would it need to be re-mapped again after installing it?

Cheers

Also in the time between now and when it is changed, is there a chance my car could go 'kapoooof' :surprised: ?

If it was a generic map I would say no...........if it was a custom map which would normally be twice the price then they should give you another session of tweaking.

Sorry to be a pain in asking, but would i see an increase in preformance after fitting the new MAF sensor. Its weird as well, i could swear my car is getting faster everytime i take it out after having the mapp?

REVO will just be a generic map for the £195 offer (I was looking at it going for it myself).

The MAF is a piece of p*ss to fit as its easy to get to, so save some cash and fit yourself (Lupoboz in the traders section can sort you out a discounted VW item or get a OEM one from euro parts).

Running with a faulty MAF won't harm the engine other than having lower power and crappy mpg (you can even run with no MAF at all as the ECU has a fail safe mode and runs with some default settings)

if your MAF is working but faulty, the readings could be fluctuating all over the place explaining why it may feel better sometimes than others.

Best get it replaced, then you know it's running at 100%

You can clean the MAF sensor your self. Good place to start rather than spending £100 on on new one.

You'll need some Isopropyl Alcohol (2-Propanol) of the highest purity you can find, I think the best you can buy without working in a laboratory is about 70% pure.

Dip a cotton bud in it and give the sensor a good scrub down.

REVO will just be a generic map for the £195 offer (I was looking at it going for it myself).

The MAF is a piece of p*ss to fit as its easy to get to, so save some cash and fit yourself (Lupoboz in the traders section can sort you out a discounted VW item or get a OEM one from euro parts).

Running with a faulty MAF won't harm the engine other than having lower power and crappy mpg (you can even run with no MAF at all as the ECU has a fail safe mode and runs with some default settings)

if your MAF is working but faulty, the readings could be fluctuating all over the place explaining why it may feel better sometimes than others.

Best get it replaced, then you know it's running at 100%

Well said.

You can clean the MAF sensor your self. Good place to start rather than spending £100 on on new one.

You'll need some Isopropyl Alcohol (2-Propanol) of the highest purity you can find, I think the best you can buy without working in a laboratory is about 70% pure.

Dip a cotton bud in it and give the sensor a good scrub down.

Worth a first try, but you'll need it read to ensure it's given any benefit.

The generic map will have been put on the car irrespective of any faults, unlike a custom map which would have taken the readings into account, so changing\cleaning the MAF will not effect the map readings and you will see the difference straight away.

Hopefully, if it had been a custom map, they would have told you to fix it first.

R

Okay, when the weather is good, i will take off the MAF and give it a clean with some ISO, i will put it back in and see if it is any different, if its not i will probably buy one off the Internet and fit it asap. cheers