Rust!!

BrianBass

Hey guys. Got a little problem with a tiny bit of rust. It's only small and don't know weather to do anything about it or not. I'll post a picture. It's just underneath where the back bumper strip used to be.

SAM_0162.jpg

I wouldnt have thought it would cost too much to get a bodyworks place paint over it. Its only going to get worse. Depends how much you like ur car?

Is this covered by the 12 year warranty for paintwork rust etc? like on the roofs?

Edited by Zulley

I wouldnt have thought it would cost too much to get a bodyworks place paint over it. Its only going to get worse. Depends how much you like ur car?

Is this covered by the 12 year warranty for paintwork rust etc? like on the roofs?

would painting over it stop the rust?

surely everything is covered by the 12 year warrenty? though i do hear they are a bit funny about it sometimes.

what year is your car ?

its 2002

Is it actually rust on the paint though? The rub strips have a metal strip running through and sometimes water gets in there and they rust and the dust from the rust can get on your paint, mine was like this. Cleaned up the sticky stuff and with a quick polish the paint looked brand new

Get it sorted whilst you can for free and no just painting over it wont fix it. Rust has to be treated :). Take it to your local VW dealership and they'll fix it for free under the 12 year paintwork guarantee.

ok cool.i get it looked at. thanks for all your help guys :yes:

lol, why you say that?

They'll use any excuse to get out of it basically, always worth a try though!

They'll fob you off with some bull**** story, been there done that and so has my friend with a lupo.

They seem interested at first checking paint depths etc for resprays and the likes, then tell you they'll contact you. Then they say no :)

hey guys... a little update on the rust. took it to a guy one of my mates knows and turns out that the back panel has had some work done to it in the past so that rules out warranty from vw. But the dude said that he can get it sorted for £200 which includes some other minor scratches :yes:

i didnt know about this 12yr paint warranty... i have rust appearing on the pillars either side of the windscreen, think i will be trying too get this sorted by VW....going too need some good luck by the sounds of your comments, sounds like they are tough at carrying there work out.

On the pillars will more than likely be deemed as stone chips that have then went rusty.

My sport had rust in the gutter rails, a tiny little bubble. Took it down, the bloke measured paint depths checked for stone chips etc.

The repair was approved, for the gutter and surrounding area, when they took the gutter strips out there was rust on both sides leading down the roof and to the screen.

Consequently the whole roof was painted, both quarters to the rub strips. Done a great job too! :D

Edited by ministig