PAINTING GONE WRONG.

RosieTheArosa

i have very angry parents.

yesterday, i bought some sand paper (wash and dry or whatever its called) primer, some vw'flash red' paint, and some clear lacquer...

IMG_6866-1.jpg

of course, i was with my wonderful boyfriend who helped me get what i needed..

and we got straight to work..

well, he did..

IMG_6856.jpg

we tested the colour... PERFECT.

IMG_6857.jpg

but.. mister 'youre female you cant do it' boyfriend who was doing all the work.. began to spray... and the paint bubbled.. and kept doing it..

so i had a go :D

and got the paint everywhere....

IMG_6858.jpg

but did a better job than him.. because he wouldnt listen to what i was telling him to do.. and surprise surprise, what i was saying worked! :tongueout:

so after three hours of painting ONE little bit, we got cold, frustrated, and hungry..

so we put our little red bit back in my car..

IMG_6859.jpg

dont look too closely..

my boyfriend decided to dab it clean with a tissue, and put his finger prints on it, which caused two VERY angry parents when they saw this, and i got an angry phone call.

:thumbdown:

IMG_6863.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

i tried explaining its work in progress, but they wont listen. And now, my boyfriend isnt allowed near my car :huh:<_< .

what do i do?/have we done wrong?

:( :( :(

I get where they're coming from.

Can you honestly say when you look at that part in red you feel happy about doing it ?

Oh, and since you say you had primer, why didn't you use it ?

I get where they're coming from.

Can you honestly say when you look at that part in red you feel happy about doing it ?

Oh, and since you say you had primer, why didn't you use it ?

not one bit.. if it was done properly, id be happy with it.

not one bit.. if it was done properly, id be happy with it.

and i used primer.

no need for sarcasm..

I am afraid I would do the same as your parents, though I would have banned him from seeing you too; after making him got to the breakers and get replacement parts.

Paintwork is all about preparation.

The thing is you could probably get that sprayed at a shop for not much more than you paid for materials.

I'm no painter, but here have a read. I know it's a PC forum and he's spraying a mouse, but maybe you could have a practice before you touch the car again: http://coolercasesuk...-Spray-Painting

I mean; you have all the stuff, so why not.

If it was done properly you wouldn't have stuck up this post.

omg. lol. go somewhere else other than picking on 16 year olds. tah.

I am afraid I would do the same as your parents, though I would have banned him from seeing you too; after making him got to the breakers and get replacement parts.

Paintwork is all about preparation.

The thing is you could probably get that sprayed at a shop for not much more than you paid for materials.

I'm no painter, but here have a read. I know it's a PC forum and he's spraying a mouse, but maybe you could have a practice before you touch the car again: http://coolercasesuk...-Spray-Painting

I mean; you have all the stuff, so why not.

theyve only stopped him touching my car lol, but thanks for the advice, unlike some people, that actually helped!

theyve only stopped him touching my car lol, but thanks for the advice, unlike some people, that actually helped!

So they're fine with him touching you and making things red ?

Well I'm obviously tougher than your Dad!

Did you just spray the one? If so you could get another from either a breaker or VW (try Lupboz on here) and swap them over, then clean up the one you have already tried and start again following that guide. Take your time and don't skip any steps.

I'm with Rich, there doesn't seem to be much, if any primer in those pics at all, apart from the pic of the can of it, you just need to remove the trims, sand it down and start again, it's no big deal.

Edited by Pete

I'm with Rich, there doesn't seem to be much, if any primer in those pics at all, apart from the pic of the can of it, you just need to remove the trims, sand it down and start again, it's no big deal.

thankss

Well I'm obviously tougher than your Dad!

Did you just spray the one? If so you could get another from either a breaker or VW (try Lupboz on here) and swap them over, then clean up the one you have already tried and start again following that guide. Take your time and don't skip any steps.

yeah we tried spraying the other one but just sanded it back down again.. now its a greyish colour with pink bits around the little picture.. cans are only £5.99 so if it really does go wrong ill just sand it all down and spray them black again

So they're fine with him touching you and making things red ?

do you have any friends love?

I think in honesty, the biggest mistake you made was being in too much of a rush. The paint was obviously still not cured when you put it back in the car as there is "red smudges" on the dash.

As Pete says, just remove them and try again.

I think in honesty, the biggest mistake you made was being in too much of a rush. The paint was obviously still not cured when you put it back in the car as there is "red smudges" on the dash.

the finger prints are from where he was getting the bubbles off.. it was dry when i put it in.

think my best bet is sanding it all down and trying one more time.. if not, ill make him buy me some replacements!!!

the finger prints are from where he was getting the bubbles off.. it was dry when i put it in.

think my best bet is sanding it all down and trying one more time.. if not, ill make him buy me some replacements!!!

and the smudges are where i tried sanding it a little this morning

Honestly, dont bother. You will never acheive a factory finish.

Because I am nice, I have had a look on ebay for you.

Plently of red vinyl dirt cheap. Red carbon fibrey effort - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Textured-RED-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-1270mm-x-400mm-Roof-Bonnet-Interior-Car-HIGH-/320864359936?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab5019600

Should be some plain stuff if thats what you want.

Easy to apply, and wont ruin anything if you get it wrong

Honestly, dont bother. You will never acheive a factory finish.

Because I am nice, I have had a look on ebay for you.

Plently of red vinyl dirt cheap. Red carbon fibrey effort - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab5019600

Should be some plain stuff if thats what you want.

Easy to apply, and wont ruin anything if you get it wrong

i never thought of that actually.. ill have a chat with my dad :) thanks!

It looks like you've made several mistakes,

1. You've not prepared the parts enough, you should have keyed them thoroughly with sand paper all over

2. You haven't used enough primer on the parts

3. When spraying the paint and primer you've probably not waited long enough between coats

4. The coats have been applied too thickly (holding the can too close to the part causes this, this is the reason you said the paint is running off)

Get some old scrap bits of plastic and test out your painting skills. Don't be tempted to add more paint before that coat is dried fully and remember you can always put another coat on, it's not as easy to take a coat of paint off!

Theres a few things to learn from your mistakes (which most people on here have probably also learnt the hard way hence you getting straight up answers)

Like mentioned, prep is everything. You'll be tempted to rush but you'll be gutted when it looks ****. Let it dry properly, (guilty of this) and know what your painting, metals are different to plastic. Don't try using cheap paint as it'll go on thick and blobby and you'll have to start all again.

As from your parents point of view, if they paid for the car then they have a right to be angry as they can see it as you devaluing your car and i would not like to be your boyfriend right now, bet he doesn't want to look your parents in the face.

Best of luck getting it sorted and in future always try to have a spare part (or an idea of where to get one) if it all goes wrong :) We've all made mistakes but you live and learn!

In honesty when I did my dash bits some bits didn't turn out as well as I wanted....

My issue was, after sanding/keying the parts not cleaning them properly. All I did was give them a wipe down so there was no bits on said parts. Not thinking about all the natural oils in your skin and with touching them leaves marks you don't see. So when painting them most of it turned out great but where i touched it ( my fingerprints ) the paint never took properly coz of that reason. So now whenever I paint anything I use white spirit to wipe down so I no its deffos clean. Hope it helps it did me

In honesty when I did my dash bits some bits didn't turn out as well as I wanted....

My issue was, after sanding/keying the parts not cleaning them properly. All I did was give them a wipe down so there was no bits on said parts. Not thinking about all the natural oils in your skin and with touching them leaves marks you don't see. So when painting them most of it turned out great but where i touched it ( my fingerprints ) the paint never took properly coz of that reason. So now whenever I paint anything I use white spirit to wipe down so I no its deffos clean. Hope it helps it did me

yeah i think i might have solved the problem... as we were sanding them, we were running our fingers along them to check it was all smooth! ill give it a sand down, primer it and re spray WITHOUT touching it, and ill let you know how it goes :)