RS6plusMTM's Red Lupo TDI Sport

RS6plusMTM

Hi All,

After running a RS6 as a daily drive for 4 years, Last summer I decided it was a keeper and I no longer wanted to many more miles on the clock (plus it was was crippling me with the running costs with the £120+ a time fill ups which only lasted 4-5 days a time, just going to work and back I needed to get myself a cheap diesel runaround).

I always fancied the looks and cheap running costs of the Lupo, so I took the plunge and bought my first VW.

It wasnt the colour or spec I was looking for but its grown on me (after 6 months of trying to find a TDI with air-con I gave up looking and bought one with no options which was only located down the road due to convenience).

post-17491-0-34515900-1332666404_thumb.j

post-17491-0-33124000-1332666415_thumb.j

Edited by RS6plusMTM

Screw the lupo, mor epics of the RS6 and the m3 please.

Loved my mates old m3 e30, such a fun car.

I will carry on posting the about the Lupo, but as few people have asked for more info on the RS über barge, this is the low down

MTM is germanys main Audi tuning company - bit like Alpina is to BMW and Brabus is Mercedes, they are also on one of the compaines that form part of Gumbert Apollo

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/highlights/details?id=3

The car is one of the last C5 bodied avant's that Audi released as final special "plus" edition

Originally meant to be a run of 999 worldwide, but due to the high cost in 2004 of a £70k+ estate less than 670 were produced with only 72 allocated to the UK before production ended

Above the normal 450ps cosworth bi-turbo V8 engined RS6, the RS6 plus version also included the following:

Uprated engine to 480ps

155mph limiter raised to 175mph

two additional oil coolers behind each front intercoolers

additional gearbox oil cooler

black optics (radiator grille, window trims, tailgate trim, roof rails and exhaust tailpipes)

sport noise plus exhaust

black security glass

titan grey wheels

lowered sport suspension

TV option

available in 3 additional exclusive colours over the normal range (with mine being spec in RS sprint blue)

The original owner also spec it to have sunroof, body coloured wing mirrors (normal RS/s are alloy), extended natural leather and exclusive suede steering wheel & gear lever

Since its been in my ownership ive also had the following done:

MTM Stage 1 (now running 500ps and torque raised from 560Nm to 690Nm - reprogrammed Gearbox ECU - 185mph minimum guaranteed with 0-60 in 4.3)

Milltek stainless non-resonated sports exhaust

Hotchkis front and rear uprated anti-rollbars

Wagner uprated intercoolers

Wagner carbonfibre intercooler ducts

Wagner uprated intercooler hoses

H&R Coilovers

Its as low as it can go without eating through tires all the time, any lower and you can't drive any any speed with out it constantly bottoming out - its weighs in at 1975kgs on the scales so its a very heavy beast

Edited by RS6plusMTM

some more pics

Scotty - the M3 is in of a sorry state at the moment, its been in storage for quite few years and needs a bit of love.

I planned to turn it into a track car but haven't found the time to start work on it.

post-17491-0-99981800-1332712338_thumb.j

post-17491-0-59417200-1332712345_thumb.j

post-17491-0-11282300-1332712362_thumb.j

post-17491-0-12244700-1332712377_thumb.j

post-17491-0-16251400-1332712879_thumb.j

post-17491-0-88802700-1332712888_thumb.j

All been going well until 5 weeks ago, until one of the pistons decided to have an argument with the other two and launch its self though the block.

At first I thought it wasnt serious, but then I spotted the conrod laying on the hard-shoulder

To make matters worse, over the last year I no longer normally travel more than 40 miles radius of home so I cancelled my RAC breakdown cover.

So sod's law the day I decided to drive on a 240 mile round trip to Gatwick, it commits suicide just getting back onto the motorway.

I had to pay £145 to re-joined and then further £221 to get it taken further than the standard 50 miles back to Bristol - still cheaper than using the official motorway agency roadside recovery but it will teach me a lesson in not having breakdown cover.

Had it towed back to the old man's farm so I could work on it myself at my leisure, as there plenty of room and I personally didn't want oil covering my driveway.

A few pics early then next day when I came to inspect the damage: - the shrapnel also passed straight through the intercooler and damaged the radiator

post-17491-0-77775800-1332717812_thumb.j

post-17491-0-33135500-1332717822_thumb.j

post-17491-0-73604700-1332717836_thumb.j

post-17491-0-26812900-1332717847_thumb.j

post-17491-0-09955400-1332717856_thumb.j

post-17491-0-72206400-1332718106_thumb.j

The replacement engine arrived this Friday, so spent the weekend stripping the old engine down ready or removal - only thing left its to remove the the driveshafts before I can undo the mounts and lift out the engine and gearbox

As a precaution, the cam-belt was replaced on the replacement engine - couldnt imagine doing this while its still in the car, it looks a nightmare of a job.

BTW: I should mention I have no mechanic skills at all, the most ive done it the past is very simple jobs like fit exhausts

I was well pleased with myself from replacing the discs & pads on the Lupo just after Christmas - I didnt think 2 months later that I would be doing a whole engine transplant.

I just thought the only way to learn is to do it myself.

the biggest issue I found so far is

1) there no haynes manual for a Lupo to help guide you

2) its all about the tools - the cheap halfords no-name specials break constantly (Ive spent a small fortune this weekend in buying decent branded tools) and I keep finding I dont have the right size sockets or type which halts work until go to the shop to buy want I need.

post-17491-0-62361800-1332719734_thumb.j

post-17491-0-82414700-1332719751_thumb.j

Edited by RS6plusMTM

Hats off for getting in there and having a go, I suppose learning on a lupo is goig to be far less expensive if you make a mistake than on the Audi or BMW.

Oh no! Can't say I've ever seen this happen to a 1.4 TDi before but I suppose we could speculate all day about what might have caused it.

At least you haven't let it put you off it though.

P.S. I too do most things myself on the Lupo but get someone else to do the cambelt!

To be fair I've had my Halfords Professional kit for about 5 years now, maybe longer. Done everything I've done with cars with that and its never given me any problems. Recently I needed the box replacing and I need a Torx 20 replacing but over all its been a good kit. Done engine conversions and the likes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from last weekend.

Got the old engine out and split the gearbox to transfer it over.

Moved the turbo, manifold, flywheel an oil pump across to the replacement engine as well.

The old clutch was only 50% worn but it made sense to do this while the engine was apart, so work stopped until the following weekend until the new clutch arrived mail-order along with all the service filters.

post-17491-0-13015800-1333820036_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the flying tomato is back together and running.

Couldn't get the swine running correctly at first, is after a lot of cranking it would fire up, run for a couple of minutes and slowly die never to start again for a few hours

After a weekend of going over the whole engine checking I had plugged everything back in and looking for leaks in the vacuum hoses, I gave in a called in a favour from a friend with a Snap-On diagnostic tool.

Felt I right spanner when he told be I had connected the fuels line up to the pump the wrong way around, so was just using what fuel it had in the filter before pumping air into the engine.

I had wrongly assumed that as the pipes were attached to each other all the way from under car, that they stayed in parallel all the way to the pump

post-17491-0-80652300-1335210250_thumb.j

This has been by first major car DIY project and i'm pretty chuffed that Ive done it pretty much unassisted (apart from the diagnostic check and a spare couple of hands to help guide the block in & out the engine bay) and no manual

So to anybody else who thinking of giving it a go, i would say jump in and get your hands dirty - I learnt loads and saved a rake of cash in garage labour doing it myself

Heres my top tips.

1) Take loads & loads of photo BEFORE you take everything apart - I wish I took more, as you think you know where things go, but the next day that information is easily forgotten

2) You will need some special tools - I paid through the nose for tools at the local motoring shops (halfords etc...), so If your not in a rush order them in advance from amazon - You'll need several sized XZN, hex and star bits for up doing the drive shafts etc..

Recommend this http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0001K9R6W as it covered most the sizes

Other than a cam-belt locking tool and a clutch alignment tool, the standard cheap and nasty unbranded tool kit your parents gave you on your 18th birthday covers most of the other items.

3) You'll need a engine lift/crane (or borrow for light in my case) and a mate to help during the removal/fitting of the engine and rejoining the gearbox back to the block (the gearbox looks light, but it isnt when you hold it for a while trying to align the bolt holes)

The fronts now completely back on since this photo, but the MOT expired while its been off the road so its having it done tomorrow before giving the Lupo a good valet - i'll be glad to get back in the TDi, specially since the RS6 has burnt through £1700 of V-Power in 10 weeks - money I could of spent on some coil-overs and new wheels ;o)

post-17491-0-72782300-1335212139_thumb.j

Holy crap the RS6 has a serious drinking habit! Your bank balance will be loving the TDI :lol: Big ups for getting stuck in with it :thumbup:

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't updated this post for a while, but since last summer ive done done the following:

removed bumper stripes - (some wise-ass had blown over the car without removing these, so now there are paint ridges & two shades of red showing)

new rear head rests - (previous owner had lost them)

JOM coilovers - (there nasty but cheap, had to adjust 4 times in two months to the sagging and hitting the drive shafts)

MFD-1 head unit with iPod connection kit - (retro fit from a Passat)

replacement sump - (JOM's were too low and put a large hole through the bottom)

Votex front grill & black/red front badge

OEM f+r mudflaps

OEM roof bars (kindly supplied by 23bluboy) - still got to transfer both the Atera racks from my Audi across to the Lupo

OEM Cambridge rear lights

Bought, but not fitted due to waiting until I get the whole car repainted

Lupo 3L front end

new polished bare alloy GTI bonnet

GTI tailgate with spoiler

Bought, but not fitted as waiting for the crap weather to pass

Porsche 6J Teledials (colour coded black with red pin stripe)

20mm+25mm PCD adapters

Rear pop-out windows (still need to get a set of correct c-pillar trims)

post-17491-0-95475000-1361099933_thumb.j

post-17491-0-49961400-1361099944_thumb.j

post-17491-0-04793900-1361099953_thumb.j

post-17491-0-17252700-1361101348_thumb.j

Edited by RS6plusMTM