Lupo gti, reliabilty with higher mileage?

d4n91

Im looking at selling my fiesta st to fund a lupo gti, always wanted but always was expensive really. Now ive come to the decision i want the fiesta gone and i want a gti :)

My question is i usually always look for lower ,mileage examples ie 50-60 k ( seen a nice one actually) would i be safe with these engines looking at maybe 70-80k examples ? reliabilty etc? i would be looking at carrying basic mods out to the car (exhaust, bmc, coilies etc) if i go for a 70-80k car there are plenty around to be had for under 4k whereas if i look at 50-60k they float around the 5-5.5k mark. I know basics tell me if the cars got a full service history i shouldnt worry but i suppose its the way i am.

Would i be safe modding a higher mileage example?

Cheers

Dan

Edited by d4n91

Same with anything really, one could run perfect with no problems and another with same mileage, history, care etc. could be a nightmare. I'm sure some gti owners will be able to give you a good insight into what problems could arise and things like that but I'd say in generl they run pretty well with high mileage from what I've seen :)

Hi mate i just sold a GTI with 145k and it had mods on it and it was sweet as a nut and im hopefully going to buy the engine back off the guy i sold it to because he is putting a 20v in it,the engine didnt smoke use a drop of oil so you looking at ones that have done 70k - 80k you should be good to go,I have a Black GTI,6speed,aircon for sale with only 74k on it if you want one that has been luved as it was owned by a lady teacher for the last 8 years?

So I take these engines have a problem with using oil when the mileage gets high ? Or is it just the luck of the draw ?

Mine is on 95k and doesnt use any at all. I still runs as perfect now as it did when bought it 50k ago.

Definately.

Same for most of them, I read an article somewhere stating most of the engine codes which need the higher octane so they don't burn out the valve seal things.

I bought min in August with 88k on the clock & clicked on to 94k tonight, serviced her when I got her & I check the oil weekly & she's not used any in that 6k.

I ran a few bottles of RED-X stuff through the first tanks & I only use super in her too.

She returns +/- 350 mile every tank too.

I bought min in August with 88k on the clock & clicked on to 94k tonight, serviced her when I got her & I check the oil weekly & she's not used any in that 6k.

I ran a few bottles of RED-X stuff through the first tanks & I only use super in her too.

She returns +/- 350 mile every tank too.

350 mile wow I get 220 mile if I'm lucky and I do 45mile a day which is mostly motorway miles, were am I going wrong also I use fuel from morrisons could this be why?

More of a lever than a button. Just inside the fuel filler towards the front you'll see a little black "button" it pushes into the filler.

When filling, pussh the button and it allows the build up of air to escape therefore allowing one to put more fuel into the tank and filler.

Fuel tanks are designed with ullage space to allow expansion in warmer temperatures and by using this button you are filling that ullage space.

I don't do it in the summer, unless I'm going straight on a trip.

ignore anything about mileage... any car is the same. if you look after it, it will last a long time.

mine has done loads of miles... or so it would seem! yet its only done about average mileage for a car its age. yet compared to other Gti's that dont see the road more than once a week it has done more mileage than the starship enterprise. i use it everyday and have never had any more problems than anyone else i know... and it runs a lot smoother than other Gti's i know too.... its just as quick (sometimes quicker)...

VW are reliable end off... its all down to how its kept. nothing to do with the car.... the only downside is that the less mileage it has the more its worth... but i wouldnt swap mine for another as i know that mine is very well looked after... never thrashed from cold... dont thrash it regularly but at the same time make sure it does get a bit of a hard time now and again... clears any crap out!