Going to Buy a Lupo: Advice.

Moosic

Hello All, been browsing this site a while and decided to take the plunge to buy a lupo 1.0 SE in fresco green !

I'm due to have a look around one on the weekend and probably will buy, but what should i look for in case there are any common problems ?

Also, what i'm looking to do is mod the car slightly, looking from this site i want the motor to look like this lupo below.

What would i need to do to achieve the look and how much would i be looking ?

Thanks in Advance.

4580544lupo1.jpg

wheels above are 500-600

think its got a body kit all round, at least has front lower bumper and side skirts and front bumper has been smoothed so its gonna be about 200 for front bump, skirts are however much they are to buy plus about 100 to paint

coilovers are anywhere from 200-700+ though from looking at the height it could be on 60mm springs?

probs get it like that for just over a bag of sand if you know a painter

edit;

but i dont see the point in having a lupo thats exactly the same as someone elses! just my opinion

Edited by max West-York

I want my first loop to be fresco green, lovely colour. Got a mk1 Arosa in flash red right now, nothing flash about it..

Anyway, what you looking to spend on buying the car itself? Should look at the for sale section on there ;D a lot of members tend to give slight discounts to other members...

its more the clutch than the pedal box its self, just have a few presses of the clutch, it may be slightly stiff, mine is if its cold. but poke your head down there and have a ganders about, u may be able to see if its bodged back together, mine broke before not TOO expensive to fix, but definitely enough to annoy you!. check if the car gets hot, i.e the thermostat dial, as coolant temp sensors are sometimes dodgey the interior light on the dials for th heating control may have broke, although not hard and not expensive to fix, still something u cud knock them down on if its broken!

Thanks for the reply guys....

Basically the set up is, i have found a lupo se 2002 that has full service history, all mot's, one lady owner, cambelt changed, 12 month mot, 42,000 miles. Owned by an old lady. All for £2250.00.

I needed to ask a few more questions before i take the plunge this weekend....

Max, you mentioned the front bumper has been smoothed on the photo above, what do you mean by smoothed ?

If i brought the rieger kit, would that need to be smoothed or is it already done ?

Does anyone know if the reiger kit is an easy fit ?

How much on average would it cost for the front bumper to paint ?

I take it the wheels on the above are 15'', does a standard lupo have 13'' wheels ? Or am i completed wrong and the above has just been lowered ?

Any reccomendations on coilovers, is it an easy job.. i have no idea about this subject so you guys will have to help me out... can't i just stick some lowering springs on ?

Finally, is the wiper above an aero wiper ?

Sorry for all the questions ! :thumbup:

Basically its easy, all of the above....... if you just get someone else to fit it! Body kits aren't as simple as bolt on and off to paint... not all the time.

My personal advice, and I know most members will agree.. but save the money on the stupid plastic bodykit, and get nice wheels and suspension.

You're talking about a clear wee car, why wreck it? Spend the same cash or even less, on wheels that compliment it!

Honestly mate, a set of coilovers and you'll realise no bodywork is required!

Arron, that photo, i take it that you have only done the coilovers and wheels right ?

Are there any photos out there what the loops look like with just coilovers and wheels ?

I need to need to see what it looks like as i wanted it to look like a gti tbh !

Although i'm open to ideas !

I've got the same kit and just had it sprayed for £250 :)

Fitting it isnt bad...the rear and front bumper just have a few bolts and clips that need undoing and the kit pretty much goes on the same way the old bumpers came off. Side skirts however need a bit more altering as they were 4mm too long so I had to bend them a bit to get them to sit right. Don't know if you'll have the same problem tho!! If you need any help with the fitting just ask and i'll try help :)

The wheels above come with the se methinks

By smoothed he means that the gap between the reiger bumper and the rest of the car has been filled which you would need to do yourself or get someone to do for you...

Also you'll need to get a new tail pipe so that it comes out the centre cos the reiger bumper has a gap in the middle for the exhaust

Edited by peterfearn

I think those are possibly the best alloys on a Lupo. Shame they're not 15" and a bit wider though.

I personally would shelve the idea of a body kit, focus on wheels and suspension. If you then still want to go for the reiger kit next year, find a good trusty bodyshop to do it for you.

Thanks for the responses...

Arron, what exactly is 155/50 nankangs lol decked on coilovers !

Sorry mate, i don't know much about wheels, coliovers etc.

Any reccomendations ?

Also, have you done anything else besides the above ?

Edited by Moosic

Pedal box- check if the pedal is quite a bit lower than the brake pedal, and if the gears go in smoothly when driving, especially the reverse gear

Interior light- whether it comes on when you open the driver side door

heater matrix- check you get hot air when the car has been running, check for a damp smell, and often i've seen dodgy work done where people can't foot the bill to get the matrix changed and so have the water pipes looped under the bonnet, thus isolating the matrix so everything seems ok!

warning lights- check they all appear on ignition and that they all turn off once the engine is running

Just a hint....unless you're buying off someone who is into detailing and maintaining an ultra clean car, when buying don't be fooled by how clean a car is if you're with me? especially under the bonnet...from my experience a super clean engine bay is usually just a sign that the seller is trying to hide something....oo and look out for parts which look new....for example, when i purchased my previous loop, the right sided drive shaft, spring and damper and arm all looked new, possibly meaning the car had a right sided front end collision.....maybe its me being too sceptical but hey it pays off when you have an almost faultless car :)

nan kangs are tyres- 155 being the width, and 50 being the size of the tyre wall.....basically they're small in width, and when put on wideeeee wheels can be temporarily overinflated to allow 'stretch' which is when the tyres look like they are almost bulging or being stretched to fit the wheels......coilovers are just a type of spring/damper set up!

if you don't want to go toooo hardcore you can always settle for some lowerings springs with the original dampers (about a 30mm drop) I have a set of H&R springs on mine, and it looks quite nice!

Ok, so i now own a Lupo !!!!

Great deal, even managed to knock 350 quid off !!

Few small probs:

Interior light works but when doors open doesn’t come on

Looks like the temp gauge doesn’t work.

It's like driving a buggy tho !

1787326Untitled-1.jpg

I have been thinking about shelving the plans to slam it to the floor with coilovers and now seriously thinking of buying some eibach springs to take it down by 30mm.

Reading on here most people won't say there's much difference in drop, but looking below it looks good enough for me!

8688087looped.jpg

Ok, Been doing a little research on club lupo and just decided rather than dropping it i want more control and drive.

So, Few more questions to you all…

Would i need new shocks or can i still get away with the standard shocks when using the eibach 30mm springs? The Loop has only just done over 40,000 miles. with a FSH.

I'm also mulling over buying some Bathurst gti 15'' alloys once I get the springs... is this possible without any extra massive costs or damage to the arches ? What size would i be looking for as i don't really have a clue apart from being 15''.

Thanks all.

Brilliant one mate, looks like a sweet choice you made there! :) here's a few shots of mine with the 30 mm drop and a set of 16 inch borbets 7.5 j with 195 tyres :) mine are the standard shocks and they seem to be fine, the ride is a little stiffer but still relatively comfortable :)

If you're spending £150 on springs....... You should consider chucking another £50 in the budget and buy a full set of coilovers!! Fully adjustable mind, dont need to much about with springs for lows, just adjust the shocks (It's easy if you get a hand).

Just sayin.

Ps. Im slightly jealous of that Loop man, good call!

Not too sure about coilovers tbh HoZ, i don't intend to drop it more than 30 - 40mm now, a cheap pair of coilovers will just make the ride shocking and break my back according to everything i've read on this forum + i don't have £700 to spend on a set of KW Inox V's to make it mint, atm anyway.

VW use the eibachs for upgradin so think i'm just going heading down that route and drop it by 30. I've seen from the forums here that some springs have been failed at MOT under TUV regs or something like that... so want to keep away from that! I take it the eibachs don't corrode?

Chansingh833, your photo didn't appear for some reason, any chance on upping some more m8?

Does anyone know if there are any other springs which are better than the eibachs to drop it by 30-40mm? (without replacing the shocks)

Also, i'm looking for the best place to pick up cheap parts online or near oxford besides Club Lupo of course! I've looked on Kam & Venom motorsport and it seems i'm looking £150 for eibachs... Same price as what they were years ago! Looking for Gti aero wipers too. Advice needed where to get them cheapest!

Any photos of Loops dropped by 30/40mm would be awesome to make the right choice as well!

Any ideas peeps?

Edited by Moosic