Mpg!

NexG

Hey guys

Ive got a 01 sdi Lupo

I'm only getting about 295 miles to a tank :(

I don't boot it I drive sensible but I can't seem to improve my mpg,

I heard these cars are good for kicking out the miles, am I wrong?

What can I do to try and improve it?

Cheers:)

It was serviced a month ago :(

I change gear relatively quick and get to 5th as soon as I can but nothing seems to make a difference

surely it is only slightly low mpg for an sdi? its not too bad especially if u get that from town driving, motorways and a roads should be where you will see the best figures.

Edited by BEP51

Its really low! We get over 60mpg average from ours and mrs drives it around town to work etc...

I will add I find it more economic round town then at 70mph on motorway!

I can get over 80mpg if I drive it to work and back!

:( what could be causing this? i got the car service a month ago, and im being honest i aint booting it about, i drive sensible

Last week I fitted a scangauge to my tdi and I thought I drove pretty easy.

Before my lupo would get about 54mpg average to a tank.

After a 46 mile round trip to work today using ths thing in the end I managed to get the average mpg to 83.5mpg!

You sure its not your driving? Just sit it at 2k rpm and see how it goes on a tank, if anything the SDI's should do better!

Possibly your injectors or fuel filter could be partially clogged? Well worth getting a scangauge even for seeing if it brings up any ECU fault codes.

hey,

whats one of those? :S

most of the time i drive under 2k rpm, unless im going up an hill which is rare, im really confused :( i would of thought when the car was service last month they would check all that stuff?

could it be something to do with the EGR valve maybe?

Scanguage is like an OBD reader that takes readings on the fly and displays the on the screen, you can program it to take all sorts of readings. Im not sure why it would increase yout MPG though?

I dont know the specifics of the SDI, but 2000rpm is quite low - where is peak power?

I've worked it out at 33MPG, my trip to work is only 14 miles there and back, which is through normal traffic, i drive average 30mph I dont boot it, the cars lowered 40mm with 15" rims on with 45 profile tyres, ive not made any other mods to it engine wise. the car was service beginning of last month, most of the driving i do is urban, i rarely do motorway driving so i can understand not getting the full potential out of it but i think 33mpg is pretty low considering what most are reporting :(

Is there anything easy i can check myself? someone said something about the EGR valve might be blocked?

Am i worrying too much? >.< i went for an SDI to save on fuel lol i think if i had known i would be getting this less i would of gone for a 1.4 petrol or TDI instead :(

top RPM on the clock is 5000RPM

i rarely go over 2000RPM normally just over 1000

Edited by NexG

Normally is over 2000 rpm.

I use about 400 for a tank, 50% town, 50% outside, I change the speed over 2000 rpm and I go commonly with 2200-2500 rpm , rarely with 1800-2000 rpm.

Is not healty for engine to go under 1800-2000 rpm for a long time.

thats odd :S when i do 30mph in 5th gear im around 1200rpm i kind of thought that was normal? lol

Every tiny bit of acceleration in 5th from 30 use far more fuel than the same amount of acceleration in 2nd/3rd.

You often find that wherever your car makes peak torque, this is the rpm that will gain you the most economy, so for normal driving try to change gear about 500rpm above this so the revs will then drop to about 500rpm below the peak torque.

Check in the owners maunal where peak torque occurs and try this methos. It could be that you're ****ing too early and the engine is labouring. It could well be that you get better economy sitting in 4th gear at 30mph, than you do in 5th.

I have an SDI and I clocked it once getting 66mpg and I boot it as much as you can boot an SDI although you can drive 1st, 3rd, 5th but where is the fun in that. I even managed to go from reverse to 5th today playing around :D

im not getting too good mpg either. on a full tank il squeeze 320 miles. the peak torque on an sdi im lead to believe is from 2200rpm to 3100rpm then it starts to drop, i do usually change in these rev lines but sometimes il push it a bit if i need to get up to speed quick. but i think my car needs a good service soon and oil change is defiantly due but il get that done at 70K. if these cars had on on board computer to tell you MPG i would have worked out how to get the most out of my fuel by now. ah well..

• 1 month later...

I'm still only managing about 300 mile per tank :(, its really buggin me now >.< i dont know what to check or anything, i dont understand the rpm! 2000 rpm seems a bit high, i change gear around 2300-2400 but i steadily drive in 5th at about 1200 :S but that feels and sounds normal to me? :S

Driving in 5th at 1200 rpm surely is your problem?

With my Transit if I sit at 1800 revs in 5th I get worse economy than sitting at 2500 in 4th. 2300 is my sweet spot in the Transit. That equates to about 56 in 5th. I know its a van and you have a car, but if you are constantly running around at 1200 I can't see how that is good for your economy?

• Like 1

id say try changing gear a little earlier it might be your changing to soon, you will be surprised what a diff it makes it could be your labouring the engine to much. I also have a fabia vrs and on the instant mpg its surprising what a differance gear selection makes to speed etc

Say your driving it fine etc etc id say next route is fill the tank then when you next fill up note how many miles you did and how many litres you put in the tank to fill it agen, then go on a proper mpg calculator and see what that brings up

Next change the fuel filter see how that goes , still no good get the ecu read for faults etc failing that further diagnostic required regards injectors blocked cat etc etc,

Just a thought does it drive ok? feels powerful (normal) lol. Have you checked all tyres pressures are correct, then jack up check that none of your wheels arnt binding etc!

From the transit mpg read out under revving kills economy. What is your idle speed? Mine is 800 if I try and drive at 1200 revs the engine management is dumping fuel in there to stop it stalling killing economy.

Trying to change your speed a little bit driving like that causes even more fuel to be dumped in, like when you come to wee gradients and you naturally put your foot down a bit to keep speed equal.