Lupo fishtailed

Kent

Was driving tonight doing about 70/80, overtook a vehicle and started to fishtail like mad! I hadnt touched the brakes and hadnt dropped gear or changed acceleration!!

Scary as hell especially as it was so unexpected! What could have caused it? I thought some dirt/gravel/cats eye in the middle of the road but I dont see how this could have sent me into it!

My ABS light has been on for a couple of days which I need to sort out but I hadnt touched the brakes!

no normally I have to have 6 or 7 before I can step foot in my car due to fear of driving!! But I was sober this time.

Luckily my Rally driver experience allowed me to correct it.. lol!!!!!

I had my Golf fishtailing tonight.

Did some late breaking from around 120 leptons and the rear brakes (which have no abs) locked up. It pretty violently fishtailed and I thought I was about to get up close and personal with a roundabout. Imagine applying your handbrake at that speed, same feeling. Luckily someone was looking down on me tonight and saved my arse!

I can only put fishtailing at your speed down to serious driver or car error?

When the ABS light is on, i think its sometimes supposed to lightly apply brakes to set itself up, usually it does it when u start up, not driving on main roads. However it may be a related problem, and idea, but worth getting the fault code read off.

Ive had fishailing before coming up too fast to a roundabout, but it was cos of having to brake whilst cornering not just randomly. Know how scary it feels lol, doing everything u can to correct and praying it doesnt go over the hedge!

Fault code came up as 18057 :S

Cant see it being much my fault as I wasnt cornering, wasnt going hard, wasnt braking nor accelerating. Scary as **** though, managed to compensate it and sort it out thank god!

18057-The drivetrain databus is missing a message from the ABS control module. This means that the ABS module has dropped off line and is not communicating with the drivetrain systems. The most likely cause of this fault is a defective ABS control module. The module is not difficult to replace though you will have to bleed the brakes upon completion of the installation.

perhaps the abs light flickered while it fishtailed? suggesting it came back online briefly.

Edited by BEP51

yeah I accelerated through it but then had to rebrake due to roundabout, was pitch black which wasn't a great help. Another fault code has been thrown up 00285

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45): Signal Outside Specifications

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45): Electrical Fault in Circuit

18057-The drivetrain databus is missing a message from the ABS control module. This means that the ABS module has dropped off line and is not communicating with the drivetrain systems. The most likely cause of this fault is a defective ABS control module. The module is not difficult to replace though you will have to bleed the brakes upon completion of the installation.

perhaps the abs light flickered while it fishtailed? suggesting it came back online briefly.

It's probably a blown fuse or dirty connection in the engine bay, you can change the ABS controller without touching the ABS pump so no need to bleed the brakes.

It's having the part ordered and going back in tomorrow for a new sensor, just curious as to why it fishtailed. The bloke didn't know but said abs causes crazy things and said his old Audi randomly kicked the ABS in without brakes being touched... :S

I would guess that a combination of accelerating on white lines (and the fact your EDL wont work due to the ABS fault)and camber of being on the wrong side of the road has given you the impression of the rear end swaying, when in fact it wasnt.

Its a road I drive everyday, the rear end was stepping quite viciously!

In that case something on your car has come off, a wheel or something. :lol:

Accelerating in a reasonably straight line with steady throttle input does not result in wild oversteer.

In that case something on your car has come off, a wheel or something. :lol:

Accelerating in a reasonably straight line with steady throttle input does not result in wild oversteer.

This, only time I've ever had my back end kick out is when I was driving like a gimp. It's not like it's putting power to any of the wheels, it's just brakes on-off-on-off, and that's only when the brakes are applied. It's not a very sophisticated system so it's more likely down to driver error than the cars fault. IMO blah blah blah.