1.0l vs 1.4l mpg

Jonesy18

Hiya, been registered on this site for a while, was going to buy a 1.4tdi ages ago but that budget has gone now. Due to fuel costs rising, I was looking to get a small van but everything I look at is crap. So decided on a lupo/arosa pref lupo, so I can fold/rip the rear seats out for carrying capacity.

I'm looking at the real cheap end of the market about a £1k max if poss.

Is there much difference between 1.0 and 1.4 mpg if driven steady which this would be... i.e below 3000 rpm all the time? what sort of mpg can I expect from either? I'm training to be an electrician in bristol and currently drive a BMW E30 316i which isnt the best on fuel espcally round town which is mainly what I do.

I suppose the 1.4 would probably be better with all my kit in it and easier to drive due to having a little more power.

Insurance price is £4 a month different between the two...

Any help would be much apprectiated redgs Aaron

I've a 1.4 sport i use for mainly town work, local journeys mostly, with the occasional longer run no longer than 10 miles. I do take it for a longer blast round the motorways to clear it out every now and again.

My current average mpg is 35, since i got it, although more recently it's been in the lower 30's, mainly due to the cold weather i guess. It's also due a service in feb, along with it's MOT.

If you want to have a look at all my figures, they're here.

You'll probably need to get someone with a 1litre to answer the economy questions about that.

Ive got a 1.4S had it for few weeks, returning 50 odd mpg driving normally, thats including the odd quick blast, only downside is tank is rather small so only getting 270miles till light comes on, that wasnt on 50mpg before someone says well actually blah blah! shud be getting over 300 this tank hopefully :)im 18 and been driving like a month so im not amazinhg with the clutch and over rev it sometimes obvs, so with a more careful driver you could produce better MPG i wud imagine

The 1.4s (75bhp) has a different ratio gearbox to the sport/1.0. Comparing a sport to the 1.4s the sport will be revving higher at the same speed.

• 1 month later...

My fuel consumption is about on par with my mates 1.0SE (I drive a 1.4S, both our cars are 2002) and we have a very similar driving style so its probably the best non data specific comparison I can offer :lol:

So if you're going to be carrying loads of stuff about you're probably better off with the extra power from the 1.4

Brighton to Cornwall/Devon border took about 3/4 of a tank on my 1.4s, mix of motorway, jam and hills.. (Dear god the hills - the east side of Dartmoor is horrid, damned satnav has it in for me).

Brighton to Nottingham North (motorway all the way, barely any stopping) half a tank.

Not sure what that equates to for mileage - but each journey is around the 200mile mark I think.

Most of my driving is in 4th/5th gear (even at 30 the car seems most comfortable in 4th gear...)