Carbon fibre wing mirror cover

1gear

Has anyone done it before and anyone got any advice?

I had a little problem today which involved my mirror coming into contact with someone elses mirror. My mirror cover had a crack in anyway so it cracked it completely and a bit of mirror cover is now missing. Ive got a plain one coming on order, but ive always fancied carbon fibre ones.

Im trying to find out how hard the mould will be to make. I know you can just cover in vinyl in carbon fibre effect but im not sure how good it will look.

Other option is to paint them, but in a different colour to what the car is, maybe a blue.

So any advice?

Guest cream2cream

Has anyone done it before and anyone got any advice?

I had a little problem today which involved my mirror coming into contact with someone elses mirror. My mirror cover had a crack in anyway so it cracked it completely and a bit of mirror cover is now missing. Ive got a plain one coming on order, but ive always fancied carbon fibre ones.

Im trying to find out how hard the mould will be to make. I know you can just cover in vinyl in carbon fibre effect but im not sure how good it will look.

Other option is to paint them, but in a different colour to what the car is, maybe a blue.

So any advice?

hello, dont bother with the moulds u wanna get 3mm carbonfibre film, looks the real deal for a fraction of the price :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

im in the process of gettin my clio 197 covered in the stuff, with matt black sides, roof/ bonnet/ wing mirrors/ door mouldings and handles in carbon film :shades: :shades: :shades:

Kool, i might just get me some of that then.

It will more then likely be difficult to get my paint to match so thought abit of carbon fibre will make it look better.

Ill give this a go i think. Any tips for using the vinyl wrap?

just go for the vynil, unless your a scene whore, arbon fibre matting is very expensive, i think there was a coolant cap made of carbon fibre on sale here a bit ago and that was £40 so id imagine mirror covers would hit £200 mark.

im in the process of gettin my clio 197 covered in the stuff, with matt black sides, roof/ bonnet/ wing mirrors/ door mouldings and handles in carbon film :shades: :shades: :shades:

Would like to see this when it's done. :)

No need to make moulds, you need to have the parts wrapped in real carbon, personally I would look into paying somebody to do it, it's not easy(Not that I have done it personally), and expensive if it does wrong.

Would like to see this when it's done. :)

No need to make moulds, you need to have the parts wrapped in real carbon, personally I would look into paying somebody to do it, it's not easy(Not that I have done it personally), and expensive if it does wrong.

How would they go if they were just wrapped in it?

My brother works with carbon fibre making and designing kayaks so ive got someone that could do it. I had a quick chat to him about it and he said about the vinyl wrap, but i was more tempted by the real thing.

Not sure how it would go with it being wrapped, because of how bits join and slide together. Ill have to go talk to him about it one time more properly, but i was just after any advice on here if anyone else had done it.

Or does anyone have any ideas what i can do to the covers to make them abit different? Its a silver car, i did think about painting them a different colour but im after something that will look nice, be subtle and not be smacking you in the face and looking odd. Any ideas?

Get yourself on edition 38 forum and PM Mugly, he has a nice little real carbon wrapping empire building up. He really spends alot of time at it to ensure a top notch job is done, he is also a member on here but wont log in much so your best bet is E38!

As much as I like carbon vinyl you really cant knock the real thing :)

There are some how to guides floating about. A guy on one of the BMW forums I use covered some of his engine bay plastics in real carbon. The resin is the expensive part i think as you need decent stuff. Took a bit of trial and error but got there in the end. I'll see if i can dig it out.

I've wraped some things in the 3m vinyl and it's very good stuff, but imo it's no real carbon and I can tell the difference quite easily. Personally i think it's great for the interior but not for exterior.

Edited by Huw Pugh

Get yourself on edition 38 forum and PM Mugly, he has a nice little real carbon wrapping empire building up. He really spends alot of time at it to ensure a top notch job is done, he is also a member on here but wont log in much so your best bet is E38!

As much as I like carbon vinyl you really cant knock the real thing :)

You beat me to that suggestion Foxy!

• 10 months later...

I'm not kidding myself or anybody ,do you actualy think I'd tell ppl it was real fiber ? Lol

I like it and so do a lot of other ppl , when you concider a reapray is around 1500 and the vinyl costs 600 to do the full car , imo its awsome looking stuff , keeps the rust away if put on goof metal in first place ,

http://www.easycompo...tarter-kit.aspx

go to that link and you can buy a real carbon skinning kit .

couple of things to bear in mind ..... prep the mirror cap with something like p320 wet/dry and/or red scotchbrite pad . covering the outside of cap is ok but i would say be carefull not to wrap it to the underside of the cap as it may be too thick to clip back on again..... just wait till its dry then trim off the edged . also you will will have a bad finnish at first so wetflat the resin with p320 or a finer grade if you have time the re-resin the outside or spray in clear lacour (altho if you get it sprayed finnish in p800 not p320 )

here are some pics of my carbon skinned indiction evil eye

87aa349f.jpg

a39baa44.jpg

as you can see the gloss is very high , as i work in a bodyshop anyway i just sprayed some clear coat over them

4738c8c0.jpg

d3302469.jpg

my big fat roll of carbon ... mmmm :)

Edited by bates2k