Supercharger explained Please

BAZIL

Hello. i have decided that i want more power out of my lupo and i cant afford a engine conversion.

i do have a bit of mechanical knowledge but not enough to do a engine conversion so i want to fit a supercharger, i have looked through nearly all the posts on here and to be honest its all jargon , could somebody explain in black and white how much it would cost for a supercharger conversion and were i can get the parts from and what is needed.

Thank you

By the way i have a 1.4 100bhp sport with already a raceland manifold.

Edited by BAZIL

Im sorry but if you had any mechanical knowledge you wouldn't be asking such a general question on here .

You would be debating the qualities of the different generation or makes/sizes of chargers, pulley sizes, asking about compression ratios and possible template mock ups.

Have a good read of Caspers thread and you'll see to do it properly isn't a cheap or easy option.

Engine conversion maybe the better option.

Paulbin has done a supercharger upgradeon a 1.4 Sport, see if you can foind his thread.

John(Casper) makes this stuff look easy, when it's not, thats because he is mechanically minded na ddoes a lot of research into things. He also has great back up from a local guy who knows the Eaton charger and Emerald ECU very very well, makes the conversion parts for them, and has his own rolling road to try things out on. I would looking into paying for the work to be done if I was you.

the problem is i would probably think **** it and just strip the lupo down and get my cousin round who used to be a mechanic and get me a 1.8t and have a shot at fitting it , but i need the car for work , so it would have to be done over a long weekend. but dont think thats possible in that time frame

John(Casper) makes this stuff look easy, when it's not, thats because he is mechanically minded na ddoes a lot of research into things. He also has great back up from a local guy who knows the Eaton charger and Emerald ECU very very well, makes the conversion parts for them, and has his own rolling road to try things out on. I would looking into paying for the work to be done if I was you.

Hey mate i understand that, and to be honest i wouldnt mind paying for a proper job but so far i have been unseccsussful at finding a place that would fit a supercharger, and i have had to quotes for a 1.8t 20v conversion , JBS AUTODESIGNS was £7,500 + VAT and another was £5,000 + VAT and i cant afford that much.

cheers.

You cant supercharge your engine in a weekend, or sound like you can afford it,

Spend the money on a manifold, exhaust, cold air feed and a decent remap and youl be looking at 120bhp,

i have got a raceland manifold and a full custom stainless system with a pipercross forced induction kit.

was gonna get a custon remap but wasnt gonna waste the money before looking at other stuff

Without Spending major bucks it simply isnt possible.

You can pick up a 1.8T engine for cheap enough its just getting it fitted and running properly. it certainly takes more than a weekend to do unless you have a team of mechanics helping out.

Your best bet for a decent power gain would be some Schrick Cams and a Custom code phase 2 map, you aleady have the raceland manifold & stainless exhaust so just de-cat it and get some cams. Combined with your other engine mods should see around 130-135bhp in a car that weighs under 1000KG's is very good, its all about power to weight ratio.

Start off with that kind of gain and if you want more power then just get something quicker or save up for a big engine conversion.

You can get the cams ordered & installed at JBS Auto Designs.

With the re-map & dyno runs your looking at about £1100 (thats labour included)

Ben,

After reading the requirements i would just go buy a car with more power like a golf 18T

You aren't going to get a weekend conversion done with another engine or charge the one you've got in that time scale and getting the power your after NA isn't going to happen on your budget.

As scotty said, you are not going to be able to do the engine conversion or charge it in a weekend. its not as if you can just bolt a supercharger on and drive out the garage, if you want it to work properly the price is going to be very dear, as well as having to put alot of time into it to get certain mesurements correct to the milliemeter.

As Ben GTI said, your best option if your wanting to keep the lupo, is either wait and save up. or put money into it now and get close to 130bhp.

Im sorry but if you had any mechanical knowledge you wouldn't be asking such a general question on here .

You would be debating the qualities of the different generation or makes/sizes of chargers, pulley sizes, asking about compression ratios and possible template mock ups.

I stand by my fist statement.

It sounds like Bazil is after the sort of bolt on tuning solution once offered by Van Aaken Developments. They favoured small turbos on small cars (Ka, Cinquecento) for modest gains; the Lupo/Arosa might've been another good platform. I think they went into administration though.

I'm standing by this.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind you could probably knock up a supercharged 1.4 16v for <1500. Whether it would work *well* is another thing.

I'm standing by this.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind you could probably knock up a supercharged 1.4 16v for <1500. Whether it would work *well* is another thing.

Honestly liam, id like to see you try and see if its achievable. Once the cost of certain things are actually taken in to account its not possible.

Rolling road time is the big one most people forget about, they are a good £80-100 an hour.

Without Spending major bucks it simply isnt possible.

You can pick up a 1.8T engine for cheap enough its just getting it fitted and running properly. it certainly takes more than a weekend to do unless you have a team of mechanics helping out.

Your best bet for a decent power gain would be some Schrick Cams and a Custom code phase 2 map, you aleady have the raceland manifold & stainless exhaust so just de-cat it and get some cams. Combined with your other engine mods should see around 130-135bhp in a car that weighs under 1000KG's is very good, its all about power to weight ratio.

Start off with that kind of gain and if you want more power then just get something quicker or save up for a big engine conversion.

You can get the cams ordered & installed at JBS Auto Designs.

With the re-map & dyno runs your looking at about £1100 (thats labour included)

Ben,

I know this is away from the topic but what do people think of Custom-Code? or what experience have people had with it. I need my car remapping and are getting sick of waiting for "Awesome GTI" to pull there finger out in getting some new chips.