So who's gonna help me with my hazard perception?

jabbles21

I have failed my theory test twice now, the first time I was 2 marks short in the questions, but I passed the hazard perception much to my suprise. Then the second time I failed on the hazard perception but passed the questions.

So I clearly can do the hazard perception, But I have some dvd thing with mock tests on, and I just can't do it! I know what are going to cause hazards, as i'm a cyclist and i'm pretty much invisible to bus drivers and other road users, but I just cant do it!

Does anyone have any advice? Not on cheating, but I have been told stuff like double click for each hazard and stuff like that.

£90 on the theory alone is beggining to get a bit steep, let alone embarassing.

Thanks, Gilly.

As it's been a fair few years since I did mine it may have changed and my memory might be rusty, from what I remember the key is to click less not more! I passed mine first time with very high marks on both tests ;)

Having said that if I was to sit it now I'd probably fail it!!

Edited by treblet

hi, i just sat and passed my theory. i found the best way was to click when you saw the hazard 1st and maybe a second later just to make sure you get some points if the 1st click was too early or something. does it not let you review them on the cd after and it shows you where you have clicked and where you should of, this might help you too :)

Edited by graeme2

I agree with Graeme above.

I think the practice discs are harsher on "cheating" than the actual test. I think it takes a lot of clicks before you would fail the real test.

£90 is ridiculous though, if they're gonna charge that much you should be able to do each part independantly. I'm sure it was about £45 when I did mine, when the hazard perception was first introduced.

Good luck!

I agree with Graeme above.

I think the practice discs are harsher on "cheating" than the actual test. I think it takes a lot of clicks before you would fail the real test.

£90 is ridiculous though, if they're gonna charge that much you should be able to do each part independantly. I'm sure it was about £45 when I did mine, when the hazard perception was first introduced.

Good luck!

Phil, £45 x 2 = £90 ;)

I've just had to do mine again to get my bike licence, really had problems getting the hang of it again as I was spotting stuff too early as I've been driving for a good few years now.

Best advice I can give is, when you spot a hazard, think of it like this:

1. You spot the hazard - click
  2. A few seconds later to allow for learner reaction time - click
  3. A few seconds later just to make sure you get a click into the scoring window - click

Don't click constantly, but you should be fine with the three clicks so long as you leave a brief pause between each one. It's worth getting a DVD/PC programme which plays the clips back to you and shows the scoring windows if yours doesn't already - it really helps you understand how they decide what is a hazard.

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies, It's £31 a pop, I've paid and failed twice = £62, and ive rebooked my third (and hopefully final) theory = £93.

Yeah the DVD does let you review them but it's not much help as theirs loads, I just find i'm so inconsistent, like sometimes i will get 95% or more, and then other times i'll get less than 40%.

In my first theory, (when i passed hazard perception) I managed to get a 0 marker, cos i clicked too many times. But in the DVD it doesn't do that.

I think I need to just really really concentrate, look all around, and try not to switch off in my 10 second break between each clip, as i feel like im starting from fresh again with each clip, when really i should be getting more and more into it..

Without being big headed im quite road conscious because of my cycling, and im a good enough driver (ready to book my test, just need to pass the theory!) It's just the stupid 'clicking' system that is stopping me!

I'll let you all know how i get on with mocks.

Thanks, Gilly.

In my first theory, (when i passed hazard perception) I managed to get a 0 marker, cos i clicked too many times. But in the DVD it doesn't do that.

Get a better DVD which works more like the actual test would be my first suggestion.

I dont think it's that.. It's me, just failed another despite being pretty confident.

My problem is I just dont know when im expected to click, if i see something real far in the distance i click like 3 times to make sure i get it within the scoring space yet i still clicked all 3 times way before the scoring space, and i could see the hazard!!

It should be an oral test, me sat there saying 'well theres a cyclist in the distance i'll need to slow down to overtake him'

:(

I dont think it's that.. It's me, just failed another despite being pretty confident.

My problem is I just dont know when im expected to click, if i see something real far in the distance i click like 3 times to make sure i get it within the scoring space yet i still clicked all 3 times way before the scoring space, and i could see the hazard!!

It should be an oral test, me sat there saying 'well theres a cyclist in the distance i'll need to slow down to overtake him'

:(

you need to look at the review thing after where it tells you where you need to click. :P

It's not every potential hazard otherwise you'd be clicking non stop, its only developing hazards.

The idea is you click when you see the hazard, then click as the risk gets higher. If you were driving the car you'd be pressing the brakes or changing direction to avoid something, instead you click the mouse.

Example:

You see a cyclist in the distance - Click

the cyclist in front moves to the centre of the road to turn right - Click

Dont quite understand scotty.. It's not just a case of not doing my theory, because i need it to drive?

And Treblet thats what i've been taught, but from going through the results and looking at where i should be clicking, im clearly supposed to click whenever there is a likely hazard. For example a long straight but narrow road, a car pulls onto it, i will need to at least slow down at some point - i click as soon as I know that im going to have to change my direction or speed, and i click again when it comes to me actually changing my direction or speed..

It seems inconsistent and hard to judge to me, obviously thats with some bias as I'm failing it every time..

I did mine last month and ipassed it, i had the BSM theory book and cd which i borrowed off my mates.

I clicked once when i first saw it, and then just before you have to break or something. It is hard to get right and i barely got full marks on each of the hazards but i got enough points to pass lol

I don't think you need to click 3 times just to make sure, that is probably a bit too much. I think the pass marks for it are quite low, just get the right CD to practise and you'll hopefully pass

I've just had to do mine again to get my bike licence, really had problems getting the hang of it again as I was spotting stuff too early as I've been driving for a good few years now.

3. A few seconds later just to make sure you get a click into the scoring window - click

Don't click constantly, but you should be fine with the three clicks so long as you leave a brief pause between each one. It's worth getting a DVD/PC programme which plays the clips back to you and shows the scoring windows if yours doesn't already - it really helps you understand how they decide what is a hazard.

This is the best method! Passed mine this way!

As for the cost, my theory was only 31quid, but I did it all over internet!

I passed mine first time and nearly got full marks and I used a similar method to whats said above :)

Thankyou very much for all the advice.

And I have just borrowed a BSM cd ;)

I also have an important announcement to make.. All this time, on my own software, I had it set up somehow as if I was practising to become an advanced driving instructor (56 marks to pass, 76%). I didn't realise I only needed 44 marks to pass, around 60%. If I had known this all along, I would only have failed 1 out of a dozen..

So i'm sorry to have wasted all your time, but im all your help and advice will help me whatever the pass mark is :)

Thanks (and sorry) Gilly.