Engine Conversions In A Lupo ?

djltd69

Right just wondering cause im nearly 18 and getting a new car but keeping the lupo as a project , is it possible to fit a redtop 2.0 16v engine its what people put in there corsa`s , would it fit into a lupo 1L , i kno a 1.8t passat would but too expensive, any ideas , thanks

Check out CasperGTi members thread, i'm sure he's got some sort of huge lump of engine in that. If i'm wrong with that check this guy out on YouTube, I think he's a member on here too but can't remember his name. He's put a massive W12 is his lupo.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Joki233#g/u

anything is possible given time / effort and a wad of cash, i have done 7 or 8 nova and corsa redtop conversions and was on the verge of putting a redtop into a mk1 golf.

you'll need to see if it'll actually fit in the bay as the redtop is a big lump for a 2.0, next you'll need custm mounts (to the body of the car) all round, then custom driveshafts/ hubs, suitable suspension to take the added weight, decent bore custom exhaust sytem, custom gear linkages and then the loom will need to be mated with the lupo loom.

there's alot of work for 150bhp, it would be easier to fit a 1.8t tbh. whats the going rate of a c20xe these days? £250 - 300, you can pick up a 1.8T for £500 and cost a damn site less to fit than a redtop.

Olly

I've never lifted a 1.8T up before but the lad we used to share an unit with had a MK1 Astra which was going to get a red top in it and the engine was a heavy old bugger! Gotta factor that in to the fact that your putting it in the front of a small light car.

And a 1.8T out of a Passat is longitudinal, not transverse, so don't think they fit in, need one out of a Golf/Leon/TT/Octavia,etc.

Petar's "W12" isn't a W12. It's two VR6's (can't remember if they're 2.8 or 2.9), one in the front, one in the back. A W12 is 6.0, out of a Phaeton, A8 or Bentley.

I'd guess that a Redtop is a common conversion because they're easy to fit into Corsas. Would be daft to put one in a Lupo, IMO.

And 1.8T conversions aren't cheap either. To get someone to do it it'll still cost at least 5k ish.

well i can get a decent redtop for 350 , and im not sure on the passat cause the cheapest engine ive seen is about 1200 , any ideas were can get a cheap one then saving up atm ,

also everyone is saying about the 1.8t is that from a golf , and are they easier to fit , thanks

well i can get a decent redtop for 350 , and im not sure on the passat cause the cheapest engine ive seen is about 1200 , any ideas were can get a cheap one then saving up atm ,

also everyone is saying about the 1.8t is that from a golf , and are they easier to fit , thanks

Ive just bought a 1.8t for less then what you can get a red top for and it fits much easier , you just have to search a bit.

i could do a 1.8t lupo arosa for under 3k, but yes golf/a3/bora/leon fwd 1.8T's are easiest to fit.

Olly

Is that you doing the conversion for someone else, supplying the engne and all the bits, making the exhaust, giving a receipt and paying tax on the work you've done?

After reading that back, sorry if it sounded shirty, it wasn't, I just get the impression you work on yours and your mates cars, rather than running a a 'proper' garage.

My price of £5k was about £3k labour, £1500 for a donor car (which you could sell on the unneeded bits afterwards) and getting an exhaust etc made up.

£5k + VAT is about the average for a 1.8T conversion on most smaller VAG Cars these days, However you have to ignore whatever the vendor says about Time scales...

A friend of mine with an A2 has got his car in at a workshop for a 1.8T conversion.

It has been there since late November and what was supposedly a months worth of work... Well lets just say they've had it 4 months and they've only just constructed the engine mounting points.

And a 1.8T out of a Passat is longitudinal, not transverse, so don't think they fit in, need one out of a Golf/Leon/TT/Octavia,etc.

Petar's "W12" isn't a W12. It's two VR6's (can't remember if they're 2.8 or 2.9), one in the front, one in the back. A W12 is 6.0, out of a Phaeton, A8 or Bentley.

I'd guess that a Redtop is a common conversion because they're easy to fit into Corsas. Would be daft to put one in a Lupo, IMO.

And 1.8T conversions aren't cheap either. To get someone to do it it'll still cost at least 5k ish.

Sorry Phil but your wrong...... :rolleyes:

I fitted a 1.8 20v t from a 2001 Passat (AWT code) into my Mk1 Golf over four years ago and it actually fitted in easier than one from a Golf etc due to the turbo position :P The turbo is in a great position as it clears all of the steering rack and sits just right for a nice intake and the exhaust. The turbo to throttle body piping route is perfect too as the turbo points down so my pipe work 'hugs' round all the engine and chassis with no problems, goes straight up the front into a standard size inter-cooler and then straight into the throttle body. I did fit a Golf inlet manifold though because I would of had to cut my front panel to clear the area the throttle body would sit in.

I think this would all be fine in a Lupo with a similar set up.

You are right about everything else though so I'll let you off with your thoughts, just thought I'd fill in the missing info ;)

also what people seem to be saying is any Vdub engine will fit pretty much any Vdub

anything will fit with a certain amount of work. a 1.8t will not just drop stright in but im sure you are aware of that

Edited by marcusgrant

so i take it my best bet is the 1.8t passat any one kno a rough price of these dont really wanna spend more than 800 unless i have to , and thats just for the engine btw

Dont take what I said as a given dude, I've never fitted one in a Lupo, I fitted it into my Mk1 Golf. I was mearly expanding Phils brain with more info :)

Your best bet is to look at the 1.8t transplants that have been or are being done on here already and learn from them, then look at all the information you can find and go from there. Dont expect to just be able to get an engine and drop it in. Once you have it you also have to look into getting past imobilisers etc, or running an aftermarket ecu.... Lots of considerations to take into account (you may be better going for a cable throttle over a fly by wire)

Mine is a 'fly by wire' throttle and I have the original loom form the passat spliced into the mk 1 loom and fuse box running the passat ecu with an imobiliser defeat and a stage two map...and thats just the easy bits :lol:

I, along with Phil, NFBR and Olly are all stressing to you to do your research and expect a bigger cost than you seem to think, take the advice dude, look into it and speak to people who have done it.

Mine cost me around £4000 to do my whole conversion including the suspension and break upgrades and that was with me doing all the work and FREE help from a very handy friend, and most parts at very low prices (I work in the right trade ;) )

Good luck fella :)

edit: Oh and I got my engine, loom and ecu for £750 :)

Edited by stealthie

Even if you get the engine for 800 quid its gonna cost a hell of alot more than that. Will require alot of custom parts and mounts etc etc.

Would be worth it though!

Also I wish any vdub engine fitted into any vdub. 4.0 W8 Lupo?!

Edited by electricpanda

ohh i see , right saving up atm for an engine , shouldnt be much longer cause i fort would be like 1200 , but ill let you kno when i get the engine , also im well aware that it wount be easy but id just do it for fun , gives me something to do , ill jsut buy bit for bit , atm im just sorting my rear bumper as i let my m88 drive it n he ****ed it lmao. got car to how it was when i bought it now so looking up from here

Seeing as uv just turned 18 I assume you are aware that it's gonna cost u as much as the conversion again in insurance. because if u were thinking of not insuring it I strongly urge u 2 give up the idea and buy something else.

Seeing as uv just turned 18 I assume you are aware that it's gonna cost u as much as the conversion again in insurance. because if u were thinking of not insuring it I strongly urge u 2 give up the idea and buy something else.

Engine conversion at 18 years old. Who in this world would insure them!? I know that if I was an insurance broker that I would laugh in his face to be honest. Imagine the phone call:

'Hello Directline, how can we help you today?'.

'Hello, I would like to insure my Volkswagen Lupo'.

'Okay, which engine does your Volkswagen Lupo have Sir?'

'Erm...well it's funny you should say that. In my Lupo I have a 1.8T engine'

'Oh, that engine is not registered on our system, is the car modified?'

'Yes, yes it is'

'Okay, can I take some personal details from you, Name, Date of Birth'

I don't think that call would last much longer would it!?!?

Edited by NOCK

also ive fought about buying a 1.8t passat , could i drop that into my lupo , its only 750

They don't just 'drop in' like a C20XE drops in a Corsa with a Chris Astley mount kit and modified shafts.

You have a massively complex wiring loom, custom mounts, custom pipework, custom shafts, new exhaust, etc, etc...

I have always been advised (by someone who's done more 20vT swaps than most) that using a longitudinal mounted 20vT (aka, Passat/A4) is not advised as it's hellish work. Easiest option I think would be to pick up a Audi A3 1.8T or Mk4 Golf 1.8T and pull the engine out, then break the remainder.

na its not money i have money just gonna try init cant be to hard can it ive got all the bits like car parts and kno people who can help just see what happens lol :D