The Lupo GTi market

LupoGTiNAB

Lupo GTi overpriced?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll try to keep this rant short as possible. This is a close guide i'm not saying this is bang on the nose but it's bloody close to it.

Why, when advertising your Lupo GTi for sale, do you look at the ridiculously overpriced ones on PistonHeads, CL and AutoTrader and think:-

"Well my car has slightly more miles and is 1 or 2 years older" - "Mine must be worth close to that price"

IT'S NOT

Don't look at what some dillusional owners list there car for and list it on what it is realistically worth!

Lupo GTI new was £13000-£15000ish (depending on extras)

Quick table of depriciation on the GTi

1 Year depriciates about £3000

2 Year depriciates about £1750

3 Year depriciates about £1250

4 Year depriciates about £1000

5 Year depriciates about £750

6 Year depriciates about £750

7 Year depriciates about £500

8 Year depriciates about £500

9 Year depriciates about £250

10 Year depriciates about £250

As the years tick by they will hold at a level probably around the £2500-£3500 level (going by the history on cars of this type (depending on condition and mileage)

E.G. - 54 plate GTi with 60k miles on in good condition

New price let's say £14000, it's now 5-6 years old

it's worth about £5750 - £6250

Modifications add little value, if any to the next owner, rather than passing the price of your personal taste to the next guy, remove your mods and sell them separate you'll probably get more money overall after all have sold!

RANT OVER ... :D

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talking about this on MSN, Sports seem to be alot of money.. Upto £4k.

GTI's seem to be getting cheaper recently...

At the end of the day, its a rare car, only brought 995 to the UK, so it will always have a higher value.

Just talking about this on MSN, Sports seem to be alot of money.. Upto £4k.

GTI's seem to be getting cheaper recently...

At the end of the day, its a rare car, only brought 995 to the UK, so it will always have a higher value.

Didnt know MSN still existed! :lol: May get back on it.... old school :P

Is it fact that they only bought 995 to the uk? There seems to be a few different numbers flying about as to how many their were.

I'll try to keep this rant short as possible. This is a close guide i'm not saying this is bang on the nose but it's bloody close to it.

Why, when advertising your Lupo GTi for sale, do you look at the ridiculously overpriced ones on PistonHeads, CL and AutoTrader and think:-

"Well my car has slightly more miles and is 1 or 2 years older" - "Mine must be worth close to that price"

IT'S NOT

Don't look at what some dillusional owners list there car for and list it on what it is realistically worth!

Lupo GTI new was £13000-£15000ish (depending on extras)

E.G. - 54 plate GTi with 60k miles on in good condition

New price let's say £14000, it's now 5-6 years old

it's worth about £5750 - £6250

Modifications add little value, if any to the next owner, rather than passing the price of your personal taste to the next guy, remove your mods and sell them separate you'll probably get more money overall after all have sold!

RANT OVER ... :D

without wanting to be hated.......

I agree with this, sometimes i look online at GTI's and think your having a laugh

yeah sure its an awesome little car i cant fault that but i do feel its hugely overpriced you see them with high miles and faults for still well over 6k.

Rare or not there overpriced....... especially on pistonheads

Edited by macaloon

Didnt know MSN still existed! :lol: May get back on it.... old school :P

Is it fact that they only bought 995 to the uk? There seems to be a few different numbers flying about as to how many their were.

lol.. Yeah, only started using it recently again.. Thought it finished in around 2003 when I left school. :lol:

I think they are overpriced - considering what else you can buy for the money. 5-6k is BMW E36 M3 money, Integra Type R, Mitsi Evo 4/5, Scooby, Skyline, etc...

Although, I did own a Polo G40, which like the Lupo GTi, is hellishly expensive for what it is.

You also have to consider the fact that some people want a small car, Not everyone can afford to fuel something like an M3 and most people with a £6,000 budget for a car can't afford to insure any Jap Performance car!

There's no-way I'd sell my gti for £3500! They're rare cars mate as you know... some cars hold their value better than others, they hold a premuim for a reason :)

I agree I hated having to sell mine, but being realistic and like it or not, £3500, give or take (probably not taking) is close to what yours is worth.

I'd hardly class it as "RARE" - i'd say unwanted, unnecessary and expensive, from new, which is why there's so few out there. DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE THEM ... LOL

There still isn't much want for them now - which, combined with over-pricing, is why the market on these is so slow.

I wouldnt say overpriced, they are a modern day classic. Rare, sought after cars. Mines been up for sale less than a week, a guy is coming sunday to pretty much take it away, i have had about 20 calls on it and numerous offers. I'd say the market was very strong for them.

I agree I hated having to sell mine, but being realistic and like it or not, £3500, give or take (probably not taking) is close to what yours is worth.

I'd hardly class it as "RARE" - i'd say unwanted, unnecessary and expensive, from new, which is why there's so few out there. DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE THEM ... LOL

There still isn't much want for them now - which, combined with over-pricing, is why the market on these is so slow.

Just out of curiosity did you sell yours for under 3.5k then? ;) I'd personally say my cars worth what someone is willing to pay for it... and with low mileage for its age I wouldn't put it up for sale for any less than 5k... which probably boils your blood! lol :P

Unwanted and unnecessary? What are you going on about?

To be honest I don't think too many people even know they exist unless they are a car enthusiast or a vag follower.

You've just confirmed my point exactally, not many people knew about them when sold new because they were unwanted and unnecessary.

If the GTi had a point and was wanted more would have been sold.

to SamGTi - agreed, sort of, I wouldn't say it's a modern classic just yet but most probably will be, then a slightly high price tag would be justified.

Just out of curiosity did you sell yours for under 3.5k then? ;) I'd personally say my cars worth what someone is willing to pay for it... and with low mileage for its age I wouldn't put it up for sale for any less than 5k... which probably boils your blood! lol :P

I bought and sold mine last year for 5k area, and was better spec than yours too!

5k for 51 plate GTi is ridiculous (regardless of condition or milage) and just because something is sold for a price doesn't mean it's worth that amount, just means some idiot desperately wanted a GTi ... lol!

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

I got mine very cheaply, and love it, so don't care what you say. No it's not fast, no it's not got 300bhp, no it's not got this, that or whatever.

995 cars is rare. Thats less that the Mk6 R32 Golf. The guy at VW said there are 500 dealerships in the UK, so thats 2 per dealer in over 4 years.

I speak to loads of people and see loads of people on CL that say I would love a GTI but can't afford one.

unnecessary? It's only a car FFS, I think that all French cars are unnecessary, but thats just me. :P

I bought and sold mine last year for 5k area, and was better spec than yours too!

You lost out then... Shame. :lol:

I got mine very cheaply, and love it, so don't care what you say. No it's not fast, no it's not got 300bhp, no it's not got this, that or whatever.

995 cars is rare. Thats less that the Mk6 R32 Golf.

995 is not less than 0...

There is no Mk6 R32. :(

Gti's are priced quite high compared to other hot hatches of its age, but then again all the lupo range hold a decent price,

Im glad there priced slightly higher, in a way the owners are a bit more classy than your average pug 106gti owners (no offence)

Gti's are overrated though, people who own them are the "elite"

Cant wait for a few years to get my gti :D

995 is not less than 0...

There is no Mk6 R32. :(

haha...

Well, don't believe what anybody at VW tells you. Cause it's probably bull**** so I have found. :lol:

Salesman told me there was going to be 1000 of them released in 2010, that was before xmas.

Mk6 Golf R does look good though.

Lupo GTi, in my opinion is a completly different drive to the sport, and does earn the warm/hot hatch title.

Depriciation can act in different ways, yes, you could say that they're overpriced, but they'll hold their value comes resale times.

Only people who moan about the value of a Lupo GTI (or any car for tha matter) are those who can't find one in their budget; or those who want one, but don't have the budget.

Do we know if the numbers released in UK were limited by VW or just limited by what was purchased? It would make a difference.

I know VW released limited no's (500 I think) of VW Golf+ Dunes, so what else have they limited?

I have a GTI, I love it, drive it and can afford to have it as a weekend toy! :)