Fuel consumption Lupo 1.4 75bhp

MickB

Although book figures are usually a little on the high side... the 1.4 75ps is 44.8MPG combined.

I don't doubt your figures, but you are doing this on the assumption that you're only getting 34 litres in to a tank. You really need to check the pump and see what you're actually getting in for a fair figure.

(last night I filled up with the light on and got 41 litres in)

Although book figures are usually a little on the high side... the 1.4 75ps is 44.8MPG combined.

I don't doubt your figures, but you are doing this on the assumption that you're only getting 34 litres in to a tank. You really need to check the pump and see what you're actually getting in for a fair figure.

We could also question the RON rating of fuel, the Continental EcoContact3 tyre pressure, how much driving I do with the sunroof/windows open, weight of items in the car, type of driving, weather/road conditions etc. but I'm trying to generalise with averages.

Trying to work out how many litres I actually put in as that's not a bad point...

It normally costs me about £31/32 to fill up from fuel light to full.

So at £1.10 per litre I'm putting in 28-29 litres of fuel. Would 5 litres for fuel light to empty be about right? Sounds about right to me as I would get about 50 miles out of that (as 5 litres is just over a gallon) which is what people generally say you get.

I'm guessing that you either used the magic button (I've never done that in my whole life) or have a magic fuel tank if you got 41 litres in from fuel light to full? I wish I could get that much fuel in, then I wouldn't have to fill up as often.

If I got sub 220 miles out of a tank then I would start to worry, and if I got less than 200 I think I'd get rid to be honest as that would be really poor fuel consumption for a 75 BHP car that weighs less than a ton.

Edited by NOCK

175 doesnt sound out of the way from a 1.4 doing town work. Our 1.0 Does around 200-220 on a tank from just town driving - it does around 5 miles a day in town. Take it out of town for a trip and it goes up to around 250 miles on a tank. Solely out of town driving i can manage around 270 from a tank. Town work does really kill MPG, especially if your sat in traffic for a long time.

I find it hard to believe you get well over 50mpg driving uneconomically and over 60 taking it easy. you sure its not a tdi? :o

280 miles from a tank is not near 60MPG!

My TDi would do 350 from full to the light on, that was around 55MPG with still a lot left in the tahnk, you never ever get 34 litres in, usually 29/30 from light on to full.

175 doesnt sound out of the way from a 1.4 doing town work. Our 1.0 Does around 200-220 on a tank from just town driving - it does around 5 miles a day in town. Take it out of town for a trip and it goes up to around 250 miles on a tank. Solely out of town driving i can manage around 270 from a tank. Town work does really kill MPG, especially if your sat in traffic for a long time.

280 miles from a tank is not near 60MPG!

My TDi would do 350 from full to the light on, that was around 55MPG with still a lot left in the tahnk, you never ever get 34 litres in, usually 29/30 from light on to full.

Try the magic button and then see what you get in!!!! ;)

Wasn't me that told you.... :ph34r:

I only ever used the 'magic button' on long runs when i knew i would need more fuel. Pretty annoying to stand there feeding in more fuel with the button pressed. I did it sometimes, mainly just to get a few pound in so i had a rounded number £30 or what ever.

There is a small black button/lever just inside the filler neck when you remove the car, on the right side of the opening. When your filling it up keep that pressed and you will get a lot more fuel in. Saves filling up as often, as the tanks are pretty tiny!

bossjohn how on earth do you manage to get such an amount in!? I have driven 50 miles with the light on and I can still only fit 31/32 litres in including pressing the magic button a couple of times.

How much extra can you get in by pressing the button, and how long do stand there pressing it for? Maybe I am not trying hard enough :wacko:

I usualy get 250-300 out of a tank and I drive short journeys and when it does go out for a good run I take on country roads for a blast and usually change gear at 5krpm/5.5krpm

On the magic button, I seem to be able to go about 20miles before the fuel gauge moves after filing up and using the button.

I usualy get 250-300 out of a tank and I drive short journeys and when it does go out for a good run I take on country roads for a blast and usually change gear at 5krpm/5.5krpm

On the magic button, I seem to be able to go about 20miles before the fuel gauge moves after filing up and using the button.

Honestly it doesn't sound good in my case scenario....

When was your car last serviced? Might just need one. :)

Really not long... just keep filling to the click until it won't take any more. I tend to just lean on the 'button' with the filler pipe.

This. I used to fanny on removing the nozzle, pressing the button with it, replacing it, etc. Then I figured out you can hold it in all the time with the nozzle.

I've done nigh on 100 miles before the fuel gauge moved from full. ;)

When was your car last serviced? Might just need one. :)

Well, the car had a service in VW garage in October'09 when 95,130 miles on the clock... now is less than 2k miles more and... well... you see above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, my 1.4s does around 200 to a full tank mostly small jouneys. (with roof bars and box on top)

Hi

Just check mine again.... and well,... 197.5 miles.... and I had to top up 31L of petrol...

I have to say that I was really trying hard to go down with the petrol usage... I was driving oh so slow... and still this MPG nonsense... :blink::huh:

Cheers

MickB

It's not really about going slow, it's more about:

- Using the brake and throttle as little as possible

- Coasting down big hills / where you can see far ahead enough to slow down without engine braking

- Keeping as close to 55-60mph as possible at all times where there are no obstructions ahead

I recently got 430 miles out of a tank on my GTI.

It's not really about going slow, it's more about:

- Using the brake and throttle as little as possible

- Coasting down big hills / where you can see far ahead enough to slow down without engine braking

- Keeping as close to 55-60mph as possible at all times where there are no obstructions ahead

I recently got 430 miles out of a tank on my GTI.

Hi

I really appreciate your comment...

However I am quite confident that I understand what economical driving is... I've passed my test in 1996 and since then I've driven quite a few cars (plus I raced cars) .... I don't want you to perceive me as being rude, but... when you say you have 430 miles out from GTI I'm loosing my patience... Hope you'll understand.

Regards

MickB

PS

None of the cars I had in the past was that thirsty - even driven 'pedal to the metal' non stop... :(

If you think economy is about going slow (which to be fair is what you said), then maybe you need to rethink your position.

There must be a reason you're getting sub 30mpg, and it's either you, the car or the type of journey you do.

If you really are driving economically (rather than just slowly) then it seems as if the car may need looking at.

If you think economy is about going slow (which to be fair is what you said), then maybe you need to rethink your position.

There must be a reason you're getting sub 30mpg, and it's either you, the car or the type of journey you do.

If you really are driving economically (rather than just slowly) then it seems as if the car may need looking at.

Hi

Let's leave the economical driving techniques on one side...

Because I bought this car without trying any other Lupo earlier therefore I didn't know what are the noise levels expected inside the car... So long story short - I thing that definitely something is wrong with my little green car, cause it's really loud inside. I don't know if this is a bad or good sign but I kind of assume that it's not the engine... When I press the acceleration pedal (on neutral gear) the engine revs really nice and it's really quiet, pleasant sound of the engine working BUT as soon as I start driving there is this increasing 'rolling' sound coming from somewhere (front of the car). Well just a common sense (I'm not mechanic - obviously) there is something wrong (again I understand that when you drive the noise will increase due to the tires, wind etc... but this is different). The things I suspect are: wheel bearings or some parts of transmission ???... again I'm not the mechanic, but surely something is not good. To describe you a little more my drama... I've filled in the tank yesterday and today I did 19 miles and the fuel gauge is 3/4 between the top mark and 3/4 mark... Looking at other people's experience after 19 miles this shouldn't even move.

The car is lovely and is in very good condition,... but it starts to play on my nerves a little.

Do you know any good mechanic in West London who could help?

Regards

MickB