Time to move on?..

electricpanda

Hey people,

I've owned my Lupo GTi for a year now and had a Lupo Sport for 8 months before that. Im starting to get a bit bored of it! :(

I've been looking around at different cars to replace it with, I've driven my friends Clio 182 but it doesnt really hit the spot for me.

Another friend is selling a B5 S4 with 300+bhp. It has everything I'd need but running costs are far too much.

Anyways, I was thinking about an EP3 CTR, has anyone got any experience of these? Are they as enjoyable as the GTi? Reliable? etc etc

Thanks guys!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ep3 ctr are very nice mate. my dad has had 2 and they never gave him a problem! they sound mint with an AEM induction kit on too!

I will say one thing tho, when I drove it I felt that the steering was pretty ****e tbf. that is why he sold up and got an exige.

what kinda price range you looking at mate?

They seem really reliable. I'm not sure on price range yet, I'm just looking at the moment. Was just seeking some opinions other lupo owners have, just hoping the CTR has the same spark!

Where's simpo when you need him :P

The 225s are lovely, my friend bought one a few months ago in that burnt orange colour and they do shift pretty good. He's put a miltek system on it last weekend aswell, can't wait to hear it!

Not sure why I've become so obsessed with the CTR's. I love the look of them. I think I need to book a test drive!

Rx8's are very nice but there a fair bit more expensive to run arent they?

if i were to get rid of my gti i would replace it with a Leon Cupra R. On the top gear track it was quicker than the 225 and quicker than the mk5 golf gti, but lost out by .1 of a second to the type R. Im talking about the older shaped Leon not the new one. They hold there value pretty well, look mint in my opinion, you get all the great build of a golf but alot rarer than a golf. those Leon Cupra R's give me a shiny helmet :wub:

Rx8's are very nice but there a fair bit more expensive to run arent they?

19mpg average, oil consumption depends on how you drive it. My mam's only on her second bottle of oil for top-ups, my mate is selling his because it's costing him a fortune in oil. £400 road tax I think.

RX8's - better make friend with the local shall garage. Bad on fuel in epic scales.

Friend of mine has an EP3 Anniversary - I have drove it around Oulton Park a few times... the steering is quite light, not much feel, but other than that it was great. The recaros in the Anni were amazing, gearbox and drivetrain was superb and even the brakes didnt fade after a day of thrashing.

I was very surprised by how capable it was.

But... in the real world, when we are zipping around the roundabouts and having a doo with each other, there is nothing in it. GTi on coilovers with the rear ARB, and a good set of brakes, mine corners much quicker, and he admits it. Obviously 60/70+ his civic pulls, but its got about 200bhp so you'd expect it to.

Not too keen on them cupras tbh. My friend collects his fr this weekend, the 197bhp one so will have a spin in that and see how it is.

RX8 your right about the fuel costs, suppost to be very bad that 1.3.

I know what your saying sam, Ive had a few plays between traffic lights with a FN2 CTR (not getting to more than 50-60mph) and it was barely noticable. Off VTEC the torque is not too great. I just think on a country road they'd be immense fun.

The main reason I want to change is I fancy something with abit more of a grown up image.

if i were to get rid of my gti i would replace it with a Leon Cupra R. On the top gear track it was quicker than the 225 and quicker than the mk5 golf gti, but lost out by .1 of a second to the type R. Im talking about the older shaped Leon not the new one. They hold there value pretty well, look mint in my opinion, you get all the great build of a golf but alot rarer than a golf. those Leon Cupra R's give me a shiny helmet :wub:

Ever driven one? Very capable and nice looking cars but lacking character IMHO. My VR6 is a little bit quicker than a 225 Cupra though :D

I used to quite like EP3 Type R's until I went out in one, just didn't like it all, the seats are nice though.

Ever driven one? Very capable and nice looking cars but lacking character IMHO. My VR6 is a little bit quicker than a 225 Cupra though :D

I used to quite like EP3 Type R's until I went out in one, just didn't like it all, the seats are nice though.

I always wanted a Type R, but round here they have an poor image.

RX8 your right about the fuel costs, suppost to be very bad that 1.3.

It's not a 1.3. They have to measure it in the same way as a normal piston engine, which doesn't work for a rotary, which is how come it's become known as a 1.3. The way I understand it, it's a 3.9. Although Mazda class it as a 2.6 for servicing. :wacko:

Edited by Philplop

When I see people discussing modern sports hatches... Light, plastic-y steering and a crap gear change always comes into play.

I think I've come up with the perfect solution which hasn't been suggested; Cooper S.

My parents have recently bought one, earlier supercharged version and it accelerates so well in any gear, at any speed, steering feedback is very intuitive and overall, the car seems very geared towards being a good drivers car.

Just something to consider!

The 225s are lovely, my friend bought one a few months ago in that burnt orange colour and they do shift pretty good. He's put a miltek system on it last weekend aswell, can't wait to hear it!/quote]

I can certainly back that up haha. The orange is called 'inferno' which sounds cooler, although some call them ginger! lol

A Megane 225 is an acquired taste due to it rather bold shape, even in standard form. Performance wise they'd surprise a lot of cars. The one and only car I've ever gone up against was a Civic Type-R. The 197bhp model, prior to the current shape. He gave it the beans, probably 3-4k on the revs and drop the clutch. I just pulled away as normal and just kept my foot in. He got off the line quicker, I was next to him as soon as it came on boost.

Torque all the way and they do have shed loads of it. Turbo 1, V-Tec 0!! haha. I don't drive mine often or especially hard but they are effortlessly quick where a lot of normally aspirated cars need to be revved high to get them shifting.

Anyway, I do recommend them highly so well worth looking into. :)

Get an ep3. They are much faster than a Lupo and for the price and running costs they are great. But drive one and see what you think. The steering feel is crap, mine handles very well with coilovers a thicker rear arb and fast road set up but this has cost me £1400. They really have to be driven hard to get the best out of them, but working the car through the twisties is great fun. Whilst they are easilly tuned with bolt ons, if you want more power you are still looking at 2K to get them to 250bhp.

When looking round one check the engine mounts aren't split, pretty common. Steering racks go as well so check for play and listen for any dodgey noises. Other than those there isn't allot to look out for. Just make sure it has been well cared for as all of them will have been ragged.

Thanks for all the input guys.

The 225 is lovely inside, sounds amazing and pulls like a train however externally im not decided on the looks.

The ctr im off to look at is owened by a friend of a friend. He's a mechanic and selling as his wife is about to have a kid so im hoping its pretty straight. I'll have a drive and see what I think of it.

What are the sort of "easy mods" for the ep3 simpo? Dont really want to modify it much but maybe a nice intake and a remap/handling mods?

Thanks again everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the same boat, love my Lupo, love the looks and it goes well for a little 1.6.

But, now im 21 with 2 years NCB under my belt.... i want something quicker. But, I dont know what!!

Clio 197, Megane 225, Audi S3 (Old shape), R32 mk4, Mini Cooper S JCW or Audi TT 225.

That is my shortlist, but I think I will regret getting rid of the GTi!!!