106 gti

josh_gti

I'm not going to read through the crap, BUT, i love the Lupo GTi, however, for the fun factor, 106 GTi's are awesome, as a long termer, i'd get a Lupo GTi anyday, residual values, comfort, enjoyability are all very high, HOWEVER...

All of the people that jump to the conclusion that all french cars fall apart, how many issues are we aware of that happen to Lupos/Polos? I've had a number of Lupos, and a 106, and i have honestly experienced more faults with the VW variant, rather that the Peugeot, most of it is speculation.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy the risk of sticking two fingers up at NCAP knowing if i crashed if probably be impaled in various bits of thin french metal.

• Like 2

I used to enjoy the risk of sticking two fingers up at NCAP knowing if i crashed if probably be impaled in various bits of thin french metal.

pmsl

So did we decide.... Should he get a Lupo GTI?? :lol:

Lupo is more solidly built and a better all rounder but it isn't fast and there are better handling cars out there.

106 if you want to track it and/or have spare change to get some decent power out of it.

The Lupo is expensive for what you get but that's part and parcel of buying a VW, and a more exclusive one at that.

I agree the two aren't in the same class and they were never really intended to be considering the 106 is 8 years older and the overall ethos of the car is different. One is a tin can that is cheap, handles well and has plenty of pace if you throw a bit of cash into it. The Lupo is just a small Polo Gti.

Edited by richie.guy

ok fine, but why dont you save your breath having a go at me, a member of club lupo who is obviously going to say the lupo gti is better, thats why i bought one after all, and sell your lupo and get yourself a fantastic 106 gti? Post a topic as to which is better on a club lupo dedicated fan site and honestly not expect to get my kind of response??? The money you spent on your lupo, you could have got a 106 gti, so why didnt you? stop bitchin bout my response when to be honest its what is to be expected from a die hard lupo fan. Ask the same question on a pug fan site and im pretty sure you'll get a similar response from them.

firstly im not having a go at you its a debate im expressing my view, if you cant take criticism of your views dont post on a public car forum, yes its a lupo forum and i like you love my lupo but does that mean i cant think that other cars are good. if i wanted a 106gti id go and get one tomorrow however im happy with my car at present thanks, all the people posting on here are stating is that the 106gti is a good car not that in comparison a lupo gti is sh*te because there both good cars but there different beasts. oh and what makes you a die hard?

i spose i consider myself a die hard because i have an unhealthy love for them, to the extent where im flashing old timers in theirs in celebration and i do my gf`s nut in talking bout them constantly. id like to take this opportunity to formally apologise for my comments on this thread.. i only said what i said to stir things up a bit and to make the thread interesting not to envoke hatred or threats of physical abuse. i spose it all stems from the fact that i constantly recieve stick from saxo and pug owners i know so i get my back up a bit now when the topic is brought up. i can be ignorant and stubborn but i can appreciate my issues arent with you guys and i am sorry for generalising so discriminatively and thoughtlessly on here. i dont want to meet at a show and have a fight as thats not my style, so i hope you can except my apology is sincere and forgive and forget. sorry again and thanks for listening

Lupo is more solidly built and a better all rounder but it isn't fast and there are better handling cars out there.

106 if you want to track it and/or have spare change to get some decent power out of it.

The Lupo is expensive for what you get but that's part and parcel of buying a VW, and a more exclusive one at that.

Pretty much sorted.

Now shutup arguing and chill out, its a car forum. Get out the house and have a pint with your mates down pub or something.

I have to say, people keep going on about VW reliability..

I've spent £1500 on my lupo in the past 6 weeks. Not including petrol etc. If I had a 106 GTI I could have probably replaced 90% of the car! Lupo's are just as unreliable as any other car. (Well maybe not an 80's alfa haha!)

I'm not gonna complain and say all german cars are unreliable etc because there not. Same goes the other way, with other notoriously "rubbish" cars. I know someone who's had a little Fiat Sporting since new and in the 8 nearly 9 years of ownership has only replaced brakes and tyres and had it serviced, its never broken down or failed an MOT.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the Lupo looks, the fact it has xenons, 6speed, aluminium body and the whole "coolness" of the GTi name and rarity BUT the only reason I don't own a 106 GTI is because of the NCap rating.

• Like 1

i use to have a 106, wanted a gti since yr 7 in school, so when i turned 16 i bought a 1.1 and started work 2 years later it was delocked, full gti kit, ariel smoothed, smooth boot, front bumpstrip extended, rear smoothed to 1 peice, de barred, all washer jets smoothed, front badged smoothed, side strips smoothed, blue xsi carpet, full gti leather, saxo dash, lowered 70mm on 15x8.5 rsl cults, full stainless system, digi dial conversion, all it needed to finish it was paint, then iot was getting a full retrim, airbag suspension, gti engine with a set of cams, raceland enclosed etc, while we were doing all the work i bought a lupo as a run about, and now the 106 has been broken for parts a love the lupo soo much lol

think tht i liked was it was really nice to drive, felt solid, for a 1.4 tbh its very nippy (quite a bit quiker than quiksilvers), and they are sooo easy to make look nice! lol

i would advise a lupo to anyone! lol

althought i loved 106's ive always been vdub at heart lol the 106 was swayed towards the vdub scene lol

Owning and maintaining a 106 was stupidly easy , so many crashed saxos im the breakers meant you could get most parts pretty much one for basically pennies , rear beams for under 100 quid , wishbones for 15 a side and drop links and ball joints were pennies new anyway. Nearly every engine was interchangeable , with only the gti needing a new fan, a small mod to the engine mount and a bit wiring to get them in . Even the brakes could be used off 206 s or 306 ,s with very little mods done. Its a bit harder with the newer cars to do things like this without it costing alot more or having alot of complications and hard graft .

I must say i love both the 106 and loop, i had a 106 gti last year and it was great fun. The 106 though in my view did seem faster and was great fun to drive. Yet the interior and general build quality let it down, was very noisy on the motorway and my engine mounts always went had to replace the left 1 twice in 6 months.

Iv had my loop gti 8 months now and had a couple of faults, nothing major but proper loved owning it so far. The build quality is great the interior is good, could be a little bigger in the back and heated leather interior would be nice ha ha. But overall its a fantastic car and i love the vw scene!!

But to be fair im not too sure what i preferred, people laughing at me in my loop or people thinging i was a chav in my 106 ha ha but then again iv had plenty of people saying how nice the loop looks and even asking wat it is ha ha and a lot of people have said it dont look 8 year old and also i love how rare they are and how they keep there value.

So for me go with the loop gti

Edited by LupoGtiChris
  • Like 1

Well i'v had a saxo vtr not to diffrent from 106 gti (yes i know ones an 8 valve and ones 16 before any smart arse points it out) but anyway the lupo feels so much more planted, stable and the build quility is so much better than french cars. As for performance i raced my mates cammed 106gti and he edged it but not by a huge distance so can't be much it in it if both the cars were standard.

From past experience of owning them they can range from 120 up to 130 bhp , so a nice medium would be 125bhp .

If we are going off book stats yeah your bang on at 120bhp

yeah i think the lupo gti has 123bhp an the 106 has 120 as scotty said. you lose abit in the conversion from ps to bhp. stupid exchange rate :P . i raced a guy in town in his 106 gti caged out lowered with manifold and stainless system and honest to god it was level pegging up to 60 sten it slowly started pulling away, and that people was in my sport. i havent seen him to race him in my gti but id imagine it to be closer. maybe the bore on his exhaust was far to big and he lost some of the low down torque. also on that subject the lupo gti also has a few more ft lbs of torque than the pug.

• 2 months later...

hello people, i forgot all about this thread i started. I would just like to say one thing befor i start to tell people what has been going on. Hunid Brake your a nob ur going on about a lupo like its a ****ing ferrari get a fuking grip u complete utter ****. bassically i didnt write my car off somebody went into the back off me.There is nothing amatter with 106`s i no they havent got the best reputation but ive had 4 and only ever had a problem with 1 ( top gear box mount snapped) i even had 1 with 130k on the clock and it was still running sweet , its just all about how u look after them. Anyways I got put off buying a lupo dont know why but did. then the other day i seen a lupo gti with ronal turbos on and it looked awsume so i am back on the idea ov one. thanks for everyones opinions much appreciated. Heres some pictures off my 106s including my quicksilver and 2 of my gtis and the one which sumbody else wrote off. P.s I dont know weather i mentioned or not Hunid Brake your a DICK.

018gb.jpg

025cq.jpg

image0031z.jpg

image0025.jpg

dsc00121ca.jpg

dsc00116nu.jpg

seems a bit harsh tbh. not to worry, i cant imagine you'll be here long. IBTL!

[/quotefair enough but i only started the thread to get abit ov advice ive just come bak on tonight and read all the stuff that got said and to be honest i got some good advice which aye appriciate but some people are just ignorant

seems a bit harsh tbh. not to worry, i cant imagine you'll be here long. IBTL!

[/quotefair enough but i only started the thread to get abit ov advice ive just come bak on tonight and read all the stuff that got said and to be honest i got some good advice which aye appriciate but some people are just ignorant

i dont think you read it all right then, i'm not getting involved, i cant be f*cked. but i think hunid had a post saying why he said some things, it was all blown over, and then you come back with the name calling.

just my 2p!

ame='josh_gti' date='01 March 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1267485980' post='777097']

i dont think you read it all right then, i'm not getting involved, i cant be f*cked. but i think hunid had a post saying why he said some things, it was all blown over, and then you come back with the name calling.

just my 2p!

yes i did read the bit were he was sayin stuff about how he was sorry iff he said sum things or wateva but the fact of it all is hes a arogant ****. like the part were he says i must have more money because i can afford a lupo wats that all about its 5grand or wateva he was going on like iff u drive a 106 ur lower class i dont think so mate he can suck my balls.and btw iff ur not getting involved and carnt be arse why comment