HELP! Admiral refusing to insure coilovers

Taxi Adam

Not another insurance related topic i know lol, but i tried to use search and didnt find much.

Just out of interest how much extra are people paying for mods? and whats mods are they?

Ta.

Edited by Taxi Adam

yep mats right, best way to get prices i think is too right down the mods your wanting or thinking of getting, then ringing around getting prices for the car as standard, and then just saying IF i was to put these certain mods on how much will it go up by....

theres no real point asking people how much theres has gone up by or how much extra people are paying for em, due to the fact everybody has different circumstances, i think mine went up by around about £150 thats for the coilovers, wheels, and exhaust system. I think the lady on the phone also said the premium wont increase anymore than this aslong as the mods dont increase BHP :)

There are some companies that you can go with which require you to HAVE mods. I rang up Brentacre and they wouldn't insure me unless I had some modifications. For about they same price I'm paying now I could go with them and make any cosmetic changes I wanted, just have to ring them up and make them aware.

I recommend giving them a call, and also a company called HIC aswell, I think they're for modded cars.. heard Adrian Flux are good for some people too, came in expensive for me though.

I know with Quinn you can do anything to the car as long as its not engine modifications and they dont care...

Really? I'm with them and for me to change suspension and wheels it was going to cost about £120 or something.

adrian flux are good i only paid £650 fully comp on my gti and she said i can do as many modifications as i wanted and it wouldnt go up by any more at all :) just a £25 administration fee each time i declare something, and its like for like mods. inc all the extra crap - legal cover, courtesy car etc

• 1 month later...

Just spoke to admiral (my insurers), to get a quote to put my coilovers on the car. They say they wont insure and non standard part! Meaning no coilovers for me! Im properly peed off now. Anyone help? Some must be on Admiral with mods? Am pretty shocked tbh.

Just spoke to admiral (my insurers), to get a quote to put my coilovers on the car. They say they wont insure and non standard part! Meaning no coilovers for me! Im properly peed off now. Anyone help? Some must be on Admiral with mods? Am pretty shocked tbh.

Thats not right mate, i was with Admiral on my last car and i had quite a few mods declared including coilys, wheels, exhaust, audio etc.

Infact, if you get a quote from them online theres even an option to declare your mods with a drop-down list.

Edited by ct-gti

Do you mean they wont insure the car with the part fitted or they wont insure the part itself? Im with Admiral with the coilovers declared, but should they need replacing they will only be replaced with standard parts

it sounded t me like im not insured for the car with the part fitted as he wouldnt even give a quote. i tried ringing back to speak to another advisor but the lines closed at 4pm. Bar stewards. Going to have another go in the morning. The guy really wasnt helpful at all. I dont think out of the 3 insurers ive been with that any of them have been good.

Edited by Taxi Adam

It may be age dependant, but Admiral insure me at a maximum of -50mm or 5cm in their words.

£196: Fully comp, Business cover, £0 voluntary excess, £60 compulsory excess, will drop to approx £156 when my speeding offence is 5 years old (last years quote)

it sounded t me like im not insured for the car with the part fitted as he wouldnt even give a quote. i tried ringing back to speak to another advisor but the lines closed at 4pm. Bar stewards. Going to have another go in the morning. The guy really wasnt helpful at all. I dont think out of the 3 insurers ive been with that any of them have been good.

You're best off trying again tomorrow like you said. The bloke on the phone was probably just being arsey with you.

It may be age dependant, but Admiral insure me at a maximum of -50mm or 5cm in their words.

£196: Fully comp, Business cover, £0 voluntary excess, £60 compulsory excess, will drop to approx £156 when my speeding offence is 5 years old (last years quote)

I was 17/18 and they insured my car with modifications.

Ring admiral back and ask to speak to a different person. Someone else will probably insure you with the mods.

A lot of what these insurance people say is down to how they take what is written in their "sales guide"

Silver... thats becasue you were around before insurance! :P

He So Old he still got Volcano Insurance for his Cave!

Edited by nfbr

From experience dont go with admiral! took them over 9 months to pay out for me when i claimed and it was a simple claim! they will find anyway they can to worm out of it! dont give them any amo, if you do go with them double check your policy when you get it! they are an awful company to be insured by!

If i was to praise anybody for their service it would be churchill. I had a total loss claim with them on my a3 in 2007. I had no mot on the vehicle (ran out 2months before :blush: )and they just deducted £50 from the final payout as thats what they deemed an mo to be worth. They payed me out quickly and their assesor was really nice and helpful.

Thanks for everyones help! Just spoke to a very helpful woman this morning the car is now insured for coilovers and will be replaced to the same standard in the event of an accident. Just need to go and do a suspension change now then lol.

But yeah, i had a claim with admiral a coupl of months ago and it took about 6 weeks to sort out and thats with me having to pretty much organise it myself. I will be shopping around come renewal tthough and will try and avoid the ones with the worst service.

I'm with Diamond which is a sister company of admiral as I've had cheaper quotes from admiral before now and Diamond have matched it because they're part of the same lot.

When I declared the coilies and alloys lady on the phone explained to me that because they've been declared the car IS insured but the non standard parts are not. So If I had a smash and an alloy was wrecked they wouldn't pay out to replace it.

Thanks for everyones help! Just spoke to a very helpful woman this morning the car is now insured for coilovers and will be replaced to the same standard in the event of an accident. Just need to go and do a suspension change now then lol.

But yeah, i had a claim with admiral a coupl of months ago and it took about 6 weeks to sort out and thats with me having to pretty much organise it myself. I will be shopping around come renewal tthough and will try and avoid the ones with the worst service.

Sorry to rain on your parade Adam, great that you've got the quote for it (the guy you spoke to yesterday was talking out of his ar$e lol), but your Coilies are not insured to be replaced. You will be insured but the car will be put back to standard in the event of an accident. If you have taken out extra modifications cover (an ancillary which costs you more on your annual policy) then you may be able to claim the cost of the modification however it wouldn't be a repair, it would be a cash sum for you to replace the mods.

I suggest you check your small print or feel free to pm me or email me as I'm a bit busy in work at the moment and can't do as much browsing as I'd like. For the record, my job is in the Accident Loss dept of Admiral lol :)