Sold on the 1.4TDi engine

Silver!

Hi Yawl,

I have been a diesel hater since the beginning of time, but the time has come to possibly replace the Arosa with something a little bigger.

Now I've seen a car I like and wouldn't feel the need to lower at all, but the apart from the 1.4TDi I feel the engines fitted may be a little underpowered.

So come on all you tractor drivers sell me on a 1.4TDi engine. I know they can go in the mid range, but what are the major service intervals and any known issues etc...

:neutral:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al will be your man for this I presume.

I reckon the 1.4TDI is the best of the bunch, a remap would make it very entertaining without the fuel cost headaches associated with a similarly performing petrol.

But I'd say that of any good power output diesel from that to the BMW 335d.

Edited by IDGM

Don't buy one if you need convincing.

You either understand the whole diesel 'thing' or you dont.

110 bhp + with remap

more torque than 1.4 sport

£35 a year tax

75 mpg

Jeremy Clarkson did a lap of the m25 (119 miles IIRC) in a petrol lupo 1.4 sport and a diesel 1.4 TDI lupo, the diesel lupo used £5.89 less of fuel, and was still quicker to pickup in the outside lane than the petrol.

Edited by DAS HAPPIWAGEN

Ah, the neverending debate on where you want your peak torque, low or high.

As you've stated, you don't get it.

It's like Pepsi or Coke, butter or margarine, mayo or salad cream. There's no right or wrong, just personal preference.

I favoured the power delivery in the old MINI One over our Cooper and in my Lupo 1.4S over the Sport. Both lower on power, but similar valued peak torque was at a more usable point in the rev range for the driving I do on a day to day basis and iirc, more economical. Had a TDI been more affordable at the time I bought my Lupo, I'd have gone for one like a shot.

We returned to diesel after the Cooper because we missed the diesel torque rather than the overall power. It's all down to what you like. Personally, I prefer diesel for relaxed motorway mile munching and being able to nip into traffic without changing down to get the revs up.

Edited by IDGM

Big factor would be the miles you're doing in it. If you're doing lots of short trips, then there's no benefit to getting a diesel, they take longer to warm up (esp in winter) and your mpg will suffer as a result on shorter trips. As an example my old 306 HDi, the way i drove it would return 540 miles per tank minimum when doing longer trips and town work, when it was purely being used for local stuff, that dropped to about 420.

That said, they're a fairly good engine, my dad had a new fabia recently on loan, he said it felt abit underpowered compared to his octavia, which is when i pointed out it was missing a cylinder ;)

Jon's remapped one did fairly well keeping up with us on the DDR trip too.

Jon's remapped one did fairly well keeping up with us on the DDR trip too.

My thoughts exactly, Jon and Helen were certainly up there on DDR1. Though to be honest I was worried about losing a drive shaft on the A684.

...but the 1.4TDi is the only engine which interests me in this particular car.

I think I'm sold on it, maybe with a remap, but the problem is now finding the right car in the right colour: most likely black.

:(

My thoughts exactly, Jon and Helen were certainly up there on DDR1.

And that was before the remap! Go out for some test drives and see if you like it. You are also welcome to a trip out in my car anytime :)

Oil and filter is slightly more expensive than the 1.4 petrol but then you don't have and spark plugs to change, so the servicing costs aren't massively different.

No known issues that I am aware of, but make sure you use oil that meets the VW505.01 spec (since the 1.4 tdi is a PD engine).

And like Rob says the engine takes a while to warm up, this may piss you off on short journeys!

my dads got the 75bhp 1.4TDi Audi A2 with 150k on the clock.

im used to a 150bhp GTi golf and the audi feels like a guttless piece of crap. you need to rev the tits off of it to get it to move

And that was before the remap! Go out for some test drives and see if you like it. You are also welcome to a trip out in my car anytime :)

Oil and filter is slightly more expensive than the 1.4 petrol but then you don't have and spark plugs to change, so the servicing costs aren't massively different.

No known issues that I am aware of, but make sure you use oil that meets the VW505.01 spec (since the 1.4 tdi is a PD engine).

And like Rob says the engine takes a while to warm up, this may piss you off on short journeys!

Cheers Jon, that's the sort of info I was looking for, but it's not a Lupo or Arosa.

my dads got the 75bhp 1.4TDi Audi A2 with 150k on the clock.

im used to a 150bhp GTi golf and the audi feels like a guttless piece of crap. you need to rev the tits off of it to get it to move

It's also not an A2.

I don't expect it to be a speedy monster, but I drove my pals 2008 Roomster 1.4TDi and was quite impressed with the drive.

...and it's not a roomster either.

The black one I first spotted has been sold this weekend, but we're going to test drive a newer one: A bit more than I really want to pay, but hay ho! TSO likes it and it's silver.

Anyone interested in a 1.0MPi Arosa? '02, 31k, FSH, new exhaust, new disks, cambelt/waterpump last year, SEAT CD player...

I really don't understand why we need to be convincing you Ray? You either appreciate the 1.4TDI and feel you could enjoy ownership, or you look for a petrol car, surely?

The 1.4TDI is a gem, I have had/had use of 3 cars (Lupos/Polos) and they have all been excellent, and offered something in the way of performance.

I really don't understand why we need to be convincing you Ray? You either appreciate the 1.4TDI and feel you could enjoy ownership, or you look for a petrol car, surely?

The 1.4TDI is a gem, I have had/had use of 3 cars (Lupos/Polos) and they have all been excellent, and offered something in the way of performance.

To be honest I think the cars I'm looking at the TDi is the only viable option as it only comes in a 1.2 64bhp and 1.4 73bhp petrol. And whilst the 1.4TDi is only reported to have 69bhp it's the all important torque for mid range driving.

I may have to get a remap if I do find 'the one', so Mr AwesomeAl I'll be looking for a good discount!

As I said previously, with this car it's all about 'not modding'.

Let the search begin...

I've just sold my TDI Arosa and got a GTI Lupo. The power delivery in the TDI is much more satisfying day to day. And I only do 20 miles a day and I've noticed the changes in running costs - the TDI cost basically nothing to run.

To be honest I think the cars I'm looking at the TDi is the only viable option as it only comes in a 1.2 64bhp and 1.4 73bhp petrol. And whilst the 1.4TDi is only reported to have 69bhp it's the all important torque for mid range driving.

I may have to get a remap if I do find 'the one', so Mr AwesomeAl I'll be looking for a good discount!

As I said previously, with this car it's all about 'not modding'.

Let the search begin...

Sounds a bit MK4 Ibiza-ish. I've used a couple of 1.4 TDIs when ours has been in for service and they were totally fine. Obviously, I missed the extra oomph ours has, but if I was to buy one to replace the Fiesta, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Bearing in mind I went from a 1.4 petrol to a 1.4 TDi, I found after the remap the TDi was a lot faster, whilst using less fuel and being more fun to drive because of the way the power is delivered. I understand thats not for everyone but I think you will learn to like it, especially as its just supposed to be an everyday model and not a performance 'GTi' type :)

Bearing in mind I went from a 1.4 petrol to a 1.4 TDi, I found after the remap the TDi was a lot faster, whilst using less fuel and being more fun to drive because of the way the power is delivered. I understand thats not for everyone but I think you will learn to like it, especially as its just supposed to be an everyday model and not a performance 'GTi' type :)

Don't be a smart *rse. :rolleyes:

Can I be rude and ask how much the remap was and where you got it done and how long it took and what colour underpants you were wearing on the day as I heard it matters...

:)

OK rAY..

More realitic from what iv found.

after remap i have 90.1bhp of useable smooth power. Iget 50+ to the gallon (75 is a loada crap) all day long,tht with mixed driving. thats 340 miles to the tank regardless of price. 400+ on the motorway at 65. Mine does not take long to warm up, only it does not warm up when stood still.. maybe a deisel thing i dunno.

I wouldnt change it for the world, especially when you look at the tax costs. Service intervals are 40k IIRC? mine had pump done at 60k, and needs it again at 100. (maybe the intervals changed?)

DO it!!!! although i cant speak for it in a bigger car.

My remap was G-werks, cost me £200 (mates rates) and i saw improvement of 15.1bhp and aloda torque ha

Edited by MattTDI

Don't be a smart *rse. :rolleyes:

Can I be rude and ask how much the remap was and where you got it done and how long it took and what colour underpants you were wearing on the day as I heard it matters...

:)

:P

Good choice B)

I got a custom remap from Stealth Racing - they are highly recommended on A2OC.net (just about everyone on there has got a remapped TDi) so have lots of experience with the 1.4, plus the price was very good as they don't have a big fancy shop and lots of overheads that need subsidising ;). Took a while but there is a big pile of VW magazines to pass the time

Re the underpants, you will have to ask my mum as she does my washing :lol: