FOX 1.2

BASIL BRUSH

I have cancelled my order for the Fox due to the negativity I have read posted here.

However, I went a step further by going to speak to 3 technicians at different VW dealerships who basically confirmed quite a few negative things that have been written on this forum but I would not disclose these issues word for word as this may offend many owners.

Will continue to participate on this forum as I found it quite helpful in my situation in making my mind up on purchasing a new Fox and perhaps it saved me money in the long run as at the moment due to the scrappage scheme if I had returned this to the dealer they would have only offered between £4000 and £4500 which would have been a great loss to me!

as for the problems that's what a warranty is for.

:huh:

That's the most irish logic I think I've ever heard of...

Why buy a car thats riddled with problems on the presumption that your warranty will fix them and have all the annoyance of taking several trips to the garage to get them resolved when you could just buy a car that is problem free from the beginning!?

Plus I'm sure your choice and decision is very bias as you have spent your own money buying a Fox in the first place!!

Edited by treblet

:huh:

That's the most irish logic I think I've ever heard of...

Why buy a car thats riddled with problems on the presumption that your warranty will fix them and have all the annoyance of taking several trips to the garage to get them resolved when you could just buy a car that is problem free from the beginning!?

Plus I'm sure your choice and decision is very bias as you have spent your own money buying a Fox in the first place!!

PMSL, you go on about irish logic what that meant to mean (you could just buy a car that is problem free from the beginning!?)

How do you know a car is problem free ?

to be honest where does this come from sevral trips to a dealer, because a 3 years warrenty covers virtually eveything, have you ever bought brand new car, how many times have you go to a garage to get something fixed,

and im not saying this in bad way or haveing a go at you, , just expressing my opnion

PMSL, you go on about irish logic what that meant to mean (you could just buy a car that is problem free from the beginning!?)

to be honest where does this come from sevral trips to a dealer, because a 3 years warrenty covers virtually eveything, have you ever bought brand new car, how many times have you go to a garage to get something fixed,

and im not saying this in bad way or haveing a go at you, , just expressing my opnion

Once again I echo my previous comment...

I'm sure your choice and decision is very bias as you have spent your own money buying a Fox in the first place!!

:rolleyes:

Once again I echo my previous comment...

I'm sure your choice and decision is very bias as you have spent your own money buying a Fox in the first place!!

:rolleyes:

I agree with your coment - if you buy a 1.2 Singer sewing machine you can't complain afterwards that you were stiched up!!!

I agree with your coment - if you buy a 1.2 Singer sewing machine you can't complain afterwards that you were stiched up!!!

:lol:

Are you making the right choice and going for a Lupo instead then?

Edited by treblet

I brought my Lupo brand new from the dealership and have never had any problems with my car in the 8 years I have had it. The only times I have to go to the garage is for the MOT and service, so my opinion on Lupos is a great car and 110% reliable :D

3 years warrenty covers virtually eveything,

thats not entirely true. my mate bought a car from arnold clark with like a 2 warranty and the first problem he had they said that what was needed wasnt covered by the warranty and we were like wtf? so what does it cover? it was a simple problem too..

Yup, buy a Lupo TDI, job done. Don't buy a 16V Sport for god sakes...the amount of money you would spend fixing it you may as well have gone and bought a GTI.

GTI or TDI's seem to be the most reliable. Or if you want to go even cheaper buy a Seat Arosa TDI.

thats not entirely true. my mate bought a car from arnold clark with like a 2 warranty and the first problem he had they said that what was needed wasnt covered by the warranty and we were like wtf? so what does it cover? it was a simple problem too..

Thats aronld clarke for you, there a load of jokers,

Yup, buy a Lupo TDI, job done. Don't buy a 16V Sport for god sakes...the amount of money you would spend fixing it you may as well have gone and bought a GTI.

GTI or TDI's seem to be the most reliable. Or if you want to go even cheaper buy a Seat Arosa TDI.

Not necessarily.

My mate's Arosa TDi (Jacksmith on here) had one engine and box mount snap and the cambelt tensioner snap - two massive bills, one which required a new engine.

Although, on the whole they seem more reliable...

Keeping on topic, before I bought my Lupo I went to look at a Fox. I sat inside and that was enough to put me off. I'm sure they are a very good city car, but really not my cuppa tea.

I've given you a gold star just for that comment lol :)

Correct!

If something doesn't involve replacing a part then it is DEFINITELY not covered under warranty. If a part is a "Wearable Item" then it is not covered under warranty either!

Warranties are pants :(

unless you go to warranty direct,

as long as your car is under 10 years old they cover pretty much everything, even wear and tear!

its £250 a year for my gti, can either take it to a garage of your choice provided its not more than £40 an hour labour, or take it to vw!

they pay the garage direct so you dont need to wait weeks for a cheque!

when i bought my car i had a years warranty left with arnold clark and i have to say they were pretty good, the policy wasnt changed into my name like it said it should be, but they still paid nearly 1k back to me for work that i had already had done (forgetting that i had warranty - d'oh!!) :rolleyes:

unless you go to warranty direct,

as long as your car is under 10 years old they cover pretty much everything, even wear and tear!

its £250 a year for my gti, can either take it to a garage of your choice provided its not more than £40 an hour labour, or take it to vw!

they pay the garage direct so you dont need to wait weeks for a cheque!

when i bought my car i had a years warranty left with arnold clark and i have to say they were pretty good, the policy wasnt changed into my name like it said it should be, but they still paid nearly 1k back to me for work that i had already had done (forgetting that i had warranty - d'oh!!) :rolleyes:

I deal with warranty direct on a weekly basis on behalf of customers at work, and I can honestly say out of the past 7 claims I've tried to put through, only TWO were not rejected! One of those was after a lengthy argument between the customer and warranty direct!

• 2 weeks later...

Why the complete turn round then Basil?

What was it that made you cancel the order?

TBH which modern car is without problems? Yes, some tend to be more reliable than others, but you can always end up with a car that has more problems than the 'average'.

The other thing to bare in mind is that you will always find people who want to express their opinions, ie 'The Fox is utter ****', but you just have to go for the car you like/want/require and hope for the best.

I have an Audi A3 (8P) 2.0 TDI, which has some huge problems, apparently. :wacko:

Edited by Matt A

Reliability of a car is all IMO is luck!! I brought a Audi S4 Cab brand new and it was at Audi more in the first 6 months than I had it!! Problems ranged from Electrics to pump failure!! Which I would not expect from a 50K car would you??

So IMO all cars can have issues, some do have "known issues" and the Fox is among them but I feel it is a risk you take on any car!!

I have not found any posts on here that would put me off buying a Fox!! As for the VW Tec's opinions they are just that, did you ask them how many polo's or passat's they have had in with issues?? :D

M

Please leave you negative attitudes at the door. It is a good BUDGET car, as for the problems that's what a warranty is for.

Dont buy a car to lower spanner unemployment.