Lupo

99hjhm

Another update, as I'm bored.

Finally altered the chrome button of the Polo handbrake to fit the lupo correctly. The hole inside needed to be alot deeper.

DSCN4673.jpg

Got this little aux plug cover from an Audi, no idea what model...DSCN4668.jpg

Then I did this in vinyl, not to sure on it, aiming for a R32 look, but the R32 item looks like it would be around £50, not too sure on it really.

DSCN4669.jpg

Think it looks a little cheap, you can also see the Audi TT knee rests, spent loads of time fitting these, went to the trouble of getting the correct bolts from Audi but I need to space them out a little, they are twisting the whole center console, I cant clip in the gear lever gaitor, or bolt the console up to the under dash.

Rear camber shims..

DSCN4650.jpg

Had these for ages, and not fitting then untill I lower the car, cause it will just look silly. Wanted to wait untill casper fitted his, but still cant recide what geometry to use when I do finally put them on.

Stainless steel braided brake hoses...

DSCN4555.jpg

Goodridge, with stainless unions and bolts too.

G60 280mm brake conversion...

G60Brakes001.jpg

G60Brakes002.jpg

I only bought this lot for the carriers, it was all so cheap, Black Diamond Combi discs, which are used, but fine, brand new Black Diamond Predator G60 pads ansd rebuilt callipers(soon to be eBayed)

Also have some Predator read pads, and new rear discs to fit.

Can't be bothered to do any of this work in this weather though. :rolleyes:

Tell me what you thing or any questions.

Edited by 99hjhm

Looks amazing and so shiny! I love it!

Any advice on what cleaning products to use on Black cars to make it ever so shiny like yours is! At the moment I use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish and also use Dodo Juice Blue Velvet which is meant for dark cars and that actually works a treat. I also sometimes use AG lym Ultra Deep Shine but that's a b*tch to take off, and i've recently acquired a AG Clay Kit which I will be trying soon.

Thanks,

Emma

Looks amazing and so shiny! I love it!

Any advice on what cleaning products to use on Black cars to make it ever so shiny like yours is! At the moment I use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish and also use Dodo Juice Blue Velvet which is meant for dark cars and that actually works a treat. I also sometimes use AG lym Ultra Deep Shine but that's a b*tch to take off, and i've recently acquired a AG Clay Kit which I will be trying soon.

Thanks,

Emma

Dont you speak to Casper on MSN?

He's quite a master on black car polishing... Gives great advice on products... I think it's all about glazes on black cars to fill the swirl marks if you cant remove them, Poorboys Black hole is a great product, gives a great shine... Real must for a black car

Got some Jet seal 109 to protect it all now too. Snow foam is the best on black cars, means far less need to contact the paint with anything.

I'm going to get some Dodo Juice Purple Haze, easier to use than Blue Velvet I think(Need to speak to John first)

Nice work mate, the RC's show off the G60's nice and fill out the arches nicely.

You can run 20mm spacers on rear if you get your arches rolled to 45degrees minimum, but the spacers should give a nice tuck also.

For anybody who wants to know.....

Machine polished with...

Menzerna Intensive Polish (Power Finish) - P0 85 RD

Menzerna Final Finish Polish - P0 85 RE 5

Hand polished with...

Poorboy's Black Hole - Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles (2 coats)

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze .. Which I think is rubbish, far to hard to use.

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection... Moved onto this as it's far easier to use.

Still need to find a good way of cleaning the grills.

Looks brilliant. You've inspired me to get mine sorted.

I've got an outdoor hot feed to the pressure washer sorted but need a machine polisher and a snow foam lance.

What polisher and lance do you have? And what pads do you use on the polisher?

Jon

I remember when I was the master of Black Paint :(

Just get another Lupo! :)

Nice work mate, the RC's show off the G60's nice and fill out the arches nicely.

You can run 20mm spacers on rear if you get your arches rolled to 45degrees minimum, but the spacers should give a nice tuck also.

Thanks :D Yes defo want to run spacers, don't like the mega tucked look.

Looks brilliant. You've inspired me to get mine sorted.

I've got an outdoor hot feed to the pressure washer sorted but need a machine polisher and a snow foam lance.

What polisher and lance do you have? And what pads do you use on the polisher?

Jon

Thanks.

Hot water feed would be really nice... :o

Snow Foam Lance...

http://www.elitecarc...and-free-1l.php

and use the snow foam supplied in the kit... You can add a little shampoo if you wanted.

You can get the same lance on ebay, but Elite are really good.

Machine Polisher...

I have one of these....

Sealey Polisher 170mm 800W/240V Lightweight ... Which is single spped and not much use TBH.

and one of these....

Sealey MS900PS 240V Sand ... Much beter

Boththe above using the 3m version of this backing pad... Elite 125mm Pro Ultra Soft M14 Backing Plate

...although I'm tempted to get one of these...

Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G220 :rolleyes:

Pads...

Massive choice here..

Elite "Bullseye" 150mm Orange Polishing Pad ... Start with these.

Elite "Bullseye" 160mm White Finishing Pad ... Then these.

Elite Coolfoam 150mm (6") Red Waffle Finishing Pad ... Then these.

I have used 3M pads, Menzerna Pads, Elite pads... All do the same thing to me. The Elite pads are nice and cheap compared to some.

Practice on a old car to start, mum's car etc. :)

Take your time and have fun.

Edited by 99hjhm

• 3 weeks later...

Not updated this thread for a while.

Winter seems to be killing off my Lupo... Lots of things seem to have stopped working. Need to change the door lock on the drivers side,

Had no fun in the snow, I had a small knock on a kerb that bent one bottom wishbone(Not hard to do). So changed the wishbone, then decided that if no Powerflex bushes could be had at the moment, I might as well do the other side too. Also changed the trackrod ends incase I'd ****ed those.

Bought some more wheels... 16" BBS RXII's from a Golf 3.5 Cab, I knew they were in need of a refurb, the overall condition isn't that bad, but I it would take alot of work to polish the lips, as water has got under the powder coating and corroded the aluminium, the BBS titanium rim bolts had been shot blasted too, so had lost all their shine and BBS markings, new ones looked like they would cost £5-6 each, so it seemed an easier(and cheaper) bet to get more wheels.. They were really cheap, so not to bothered.

Just so happened there was another set on eBay with a polished lip, so I went for those... Lucky as RS764's are really rare.

Stripped the first set anyway, they had been apart before, I have tapped all the holes and Helicoiled the dodgy threads, bolts have been chased with a die, then stainless steel wire brushed, washed in an acid bath and have been sent to 'Mike the Polisher' for his treatment.

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

Trial fit on the car...

DSC00001.jpg

Only 6.5J ET45 though, so will look tucked. Mark2Ikeda had 10mm front spacers and 20mm rear on his.

Second set should be here on Monday.

Also had a go at fitting cruise control, managed to find the information needed on which ECU pins that were needed, although I have since discovered that nobody in Germany has got it to work on a Lupo GTI, only Polo GTI's. My VAG-COM cable has broken too, so I cant check to see whats going on.

DSC00006.jpg

Used all the correct OEM tubing too. took some time to clean the throttle body whilst the airbox was off.

Came across some well priced Genuine VW Golf Anni' centres for the RC's too... Brand new in the bags delivered at far less than half the VW price.

25.jpg

DSCN4692.jpg

Edited by 99hjhm

I am very interested to see if you can get cruise to work on the GTI, got any more info?

I'm interested to know too.

I stumbled accross a build thread on a German Lupo forum called lupoclub.info, a guy with a black GTI had purchased a kit for a Lupo(easily avaliable over there from specialsits) to fit to his GTI, a little more digging found me a thread on tempomat (Cruise control) on a GTI, the thread was 4 pages long, and only the final post contained the info on pin numbers.. that post was by a guy who runs a Polo 6n2 forum, many people on there have cruise on their Polo GTI's, but he didn't know if it would work on a Lupo or not. I started my own thread on the Lupo forum(by which time I asked a mate of mine to come over today and help fit the wiring), the answers I got were, no it wont work on the Lupo, everybody who's tried, has failed to make it work.

Why it wont work, not sure....

The German Polo has more hardware, it has a computer for calculating MPG's etc, and they have also got the 0120 wiper stalk to work also. Be interested to know if a UK spec 6n2 GTI will run cruise.

In speaking to somebody that would know on here, we discovered the Polo and Lupo ECU is the same, apart from some software coding.

My VAG-COM leak broke, so I can't see what (if anything) is happening, I'm sure I already enabled it a while back though... Need to check!

We wired the test switches wrong.... Jon, did use use 3 test switches?? Two momentry ones and a on/off for the cruise? All three taking power from the black supply wire?

Cool, do you have a link to the threads you mention?

I used just two 'push to make' (momentary) switches and then hardwired what would be the on/off to 12v, along with the 4th commection on the ecu which also requires permanent 12V.

So in essence I took 12v from a cigarette plug (the ecu does not give out 12v, this caught me out initially) and wired 4 wires to it; 2 direct to the ecu and 2 to the switches.

P.S. What's the 0120 wiper stalk for, does it control the trip computer and give variable speed on the intermittent wipe setting?

0-1-2-0

0 Reset Constant Readings

1 Constant Readings

2 Average Readings

0 Reset Average Readings

The wiper is controlled as usual at the end of the stalk. I checked it out on a Mk3 16v yesterday!

James - As mentioned, Give the White and Black +12v, then as jon mentioned, Push to make switches with a +12v Feed on the Red/Set cable (ignore the blue for now) I'm pretty sure that's how you already tested it out though!

Ok, here is the thread I found, which shows the pin numbers (page 5). http://lupoclub.info/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=280

Then here is thread I started, where everyone said there was no hope in a Lupo. http://lupoclub.info/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=6680

This one is the stalk which they recommend to use. But I have been in contact with the people who sell the stalk, who also said it would not work... http://www.cum-cartec-shop.de/product_info.php?products_id=1720

Al's probably already commented about the stalk, I still dont understand it.

0-1-2-0

0 Reset Constant Readings

1 Constant Readings

2 Average Readings

0 Reset Average Readings

The wiper is controlled as usual at the end of the stalk. I checked it out on a Mk3 16v yesterday!

James - As mentioned, Give the White and Black +12v, then as jon mentioned, Push to make switches with a +12v Feed on the Red/Set cable (ignore the blue for now) I'm pretty sure that's how you already tested it out though!

See! :)

Yes thats how we tried it, I was driving though, and didn't wire the switches myself.

Nice wheels those, I have a set just the same in 4 x 100 - 16" I bought for my mk2 Golf about 4 years ago, I split them, hand polished all the bolts, had the centres powder coated black and started to polish the lip. 4 years on there still sat in the conservatory :lol: need to finish polishing them and build them back up, trouble is don't know if I would want them black now and also don't know whether to put them on my mk2 Golf as originally planned or the gf's Lupo, trouble is she will probably curb them.