Sony or Philips

Putney

Max to spend is £900

Want 37 - 40 inches....

id go sony personally out the 2... sony kdl32w4000 or the sony kdl40w4000 wont go far wrong with them

I already have a 30inch Sony and a 40 inch sony.. They are good... The build quality is always very good with Sony. i was leaning towards 37PFL9603D philips for a changeand I like the idea of ambi light. Not seen the picture of any of the sets out at the moment.... But I am sure they are all pretty good....

I already have a 30inch Sony and a 40 inch sony.. They are good... The build quality is always very good with Sony. i was leaning towards 37PFL9603D philips for a changeand I like the idea of ambi light. Not seen the picture of any of the sets out at the moment.... But I am sure they are all pretty good....

thats a lovely t.v for the money... i say go for it !!

Hold your horses.

I have the 32PFL9603D and have only just started liking it.

I bought it in July 2008 and there has been so many software bugs, And i mean bugs.

Not like on things that you wont use, More of turning itself on and off when watching TV. Muting itself and taking itself off mute after 10 seconds.

There as been fair few updates for it but they didnt release one all over christmas for about 2 months.

But for some reason it just started working again properly. I cant understand why.

Since though there has been another update and it seems to be fine. (touch wood)

If you want me to check anything on it or pics let me know ;)

See this:

AV forums thread

A full 17 pages of me moaning about the TV.

If you go for one make sure its from a shop and you can take it back if it gets on your wick. Not saying it will have any problems though :)

This is where its going...

IMG_5987_1.jpg

This is the old Sony 30 incher from about 5 years ago... Its not HD and done its bit now... I am giving it to my dad for his kitchen. I have a Sony 40 incher in the bedroom but thats all set up and I don't want a 40inch on the wall in the lounge... Its not a very big lounge really.

IMG_5989_1.jpg

So the 37inch Philips looks tidy. and I think the ambi light might soften the blow of having a big tv on the wall. There are no speakers either side of the philips either so it probably wont be much wider than the 30inch currently on the wall.

So what sony competes with the Philips?

@ M4T VW

please post some pics... Also how do you fix bugs on the TV? do you flash the software with a memory stick?

What do you think of the picture?

I need to find a really small center speaker for the lounge now. My current Sony LCD has a center input. so the speakers are actually working as a center speaker. I have not seen this feature on any of the new tv's!

My vote has always been on Panasonic with LCD Screens.

+3

In my opinion Panasonic make the best LCDs. They also won the 2008 Which? award for LCDs.

Sony's are overpriced and all marketing bluff - Bravia this and Bravia XL squared the other. People just buy into the name and assume Sony is best. Look at ICE - Sony stuff is crap. Never been that sure about Phillips either - they make some very low budget kit which has always put me off their higher end stuff.

Plasma is a different story...

This is where its going...

This is the old Sony 30 incher from about 5 years ago... Its not HD and done its bit now... I am giving it to my dad for his kitchen. I have a Sony 40 incher in the bedroom but thats all set up and I don't want a 40inch on the wall in the lounge... Its not a very big lounge really.

So the 37inch Philips looks tidy. and I think the ambi light might soften the blow of having a big tv on the wall. There are no speakers either side of the philips either so it probably wont be much wider than the 30inch currently on the wall.

So what sony competes with the Philips?

@ M4T VW

please post some pics... Also how do you fix bugs on the TV? do you flash the software with a memory stick?

What do you think of the picture?

I need to find a really small center speaker for the lounge now. My current Sony LCD has a center input. so the speakers are actually working as a center speaker. I have not seen this feature on any of the new tv's!

Firmware is a small file you put on a USB flash drive and just plug it in. It does the rest for you.

The picture quality is very good on SD even through scart from the sky+ box (Cheers mate!)

Also he HD picture is awesome. I watched Pirates of the carabian on blu-ray from the PS3 with ambilight on and it was great.

I set it to dynamic so that the lights are instant with the picture or you can have it where the lights come on slowly but it looks a bit funny.

You wouldnt think it would do much but after a while you really start to notice the colour in the picture when you watch in dark. I only turn it on for movies.

Pics are a bit crap. I dont make full use of the ambilight as its in the corner of the room and my walls are green. Looks like yours would be perfect for it. I would have a measure and make sure the lights dont shine over the chimney breast.

http://gti-online.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/DSCF0659.JPG

http://gti-online.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/DSCF0660.JPG

http://gti-online.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/DSCF0661.JPG

Full HD and 3 HDMI inputs is a couple of reasons i got mine. Its not thin though so will stick out from the wall a bit. The only annoyance with mine now is the remote. The jog wheel in the middle is far too loose!

Edited by M4T VW

Thanks mate....

So where is the cheapest place to buy the philips from?

Also what other Tv's did you consider?

I like the sony xseries with the red speaker grills either side.. Think it might be a bit out of my price range though?

Dad just got this and the picture is awesome id say its crisper than our pioneer which was twice as much, though the color isn't quite so bright. Being able to stream music and films from my laptop to it is pretty cool to.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230563559/Product.aspx

Might be worth a look. :) oh and you can get them elsewhere for around 900.

another thumbs up for panasonic. my dad wanted a sony, but they were in short supply when we were in th market for a new tv, so bought a 37'' 1080hd panasonic instead. cannot fault it in any way, icture is sublime, ps3 looks jaw dropping!

i'm a real sony fan, but seriously, this panasonic is the nuts!

Thanks mate....

So where is the cheapest place to buy the philips from?

Also what other Tv's did you consider?

I like the sony xseries with the red speaker grills either side.. Think it might be a bit out of my price range though?

When i got mine last year it had only just come out and comet were the only place that had them

I managed to get a great deal on the TV, A PS3 and a 5 year warrenty.

If you want to save money the best and cheapest place i found was http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/

Someone said that they wanted £99 to deliver though so check that before you buy.

The other one i looked at when it was out was the Sony W4000...or is it V4000? Cant remember

They were very simular on spec and price but the philips got it becuase of the 3 HDMI's, Ethernet port, Ambilight and the fact i had a philips already.

There is alot more choice now though!