Lowered Abarth 500

krieglupo

The build quality remarks crack me up, clearly posted by people who have no bloody clue about modern Fiats and where they are now made.

Typical VAG blinkers are up, no car can possibly amazing as a VW surely!

Ok, yes, I did bite.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mind that roof with the grey at all. The white pearlescent shows off the curves really well though, and the red looks nice too. Hmmm, tough decision!

Bit too low for real roads surely?

Does look nice, I think thats the first funk white car I\'ve seen without stickers, I\'ve seen a primer grey one without them and that did look sleak.

Personally, on mine I\'ll just have to have the red Abarth stickers on the side, but no scorpion or chequered roof nonsense. :)

Edit, found those grey pictures, although it does have the silly roof...

http://www.abarth-forum.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=898

http://www.abarth-forum.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=897

http://www.abarth-forum.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=899

It'll still depreciate like a stone and drop to bits

Sorry but it does nothing for me at all, just another crap looking new car.

You are entitled to your opinion, but may I point out you are VASTLY outnumbered by people who think this car is great looking.

It'll still depreciate like a stone and drop to bits

Dont see why it should.

The standard 500 is holding its money as well as the old Bini did, girl at work has covered 30k miles in her 1.4 and its still as tight as a drum.

But this one?

Looks ace.

Dont see why it should.

The standard 500 is holding its money as well as the old Bini did, girl at work has covered 30k miles in her 1.4 and its still as tight as a drum.

Indeed, the predicted CAP values which are being used to give people the future prices for their cars for finance agreements suggest near MINI levels of depreciation, same goes for the Mito as it happens.

Irrelevent as the car is not a Fiat. It is built in a totally different factory by different people. Why don't I just start referring to Audi's as VW's...it's just as blasphemous. People don't realise Abarth isn't a trim level, it's a new manufacturer.

The car is a Fiat, but they have taken the move to make the old Abarth trim/tuning stage as an actual manufacturer to distance that particular model from the Fiat name and 'add value' to the car. Walk into a Fiat dealer and demand discount on a Fiat and you'll get it. Ask for some on the Abarth 500 (not 500 Abarth) and the excuse you'll be given is high demand and low supply, which is **** because they're all made one after the other.

Rover did exactly the same with MG. I had a Metro Turbo. According to the log book MG made it, but as we all know, it was made in between a beige 1.0 City and a Moonraker 1.3LE :huh:

The Abarth 500 looks like it should be a great car, but I don't think I could live with the car day to day. If anything, I'd rather wait for the less exciting to look at but more dynamic and compliant equivalent Ford Ka to come out. I wonder if Ford will rebrand it as an Avo Ka :lol: ?

Fair enough, although your missing one key detail. Abarths are built in a different factory in Italy (normal 500's are built in Poland), and they have their own seperate headquarters and facilities.

MG Rover were always lumped together due to the fact money found down the back of the couch kept them running for a few more years.

Fair enough, although your missing one key detail. Abarths are built in a different factory in Italy (normal 500's are built in Poland), and they have their own seperate headquarters and facilities.

MG Rover were always lumped together due to the fact money found down the back of the couch kept them running for a few more years.

Just because you like it doesnt mean we have to! Stop bumming it so much.

No matter how you try to dress it up, it's a ******* Fiat! In a few years time it'll end up like all Fiats - an unreliable rust bucket. I know VWs aren't faultless but under no circumstances would I take any Fiat ahead of one. I know several people that have had Puntos and they caused them nothing but trouble. My mate's brother went to New Zealand for a year and gave my mate a loan of his Punto whilst he was away - it got to the stage he didn't want to go out in it because it was just one thing after another.

The VW / Audi comparison is nonsense - that would be like VAG tarting up a Polo and sticking an Audi badge on it. Admittedy, VWs and Audis share platforms and engines but you're not going to confuse an A3 for a Golf.

The VW / Audi comparison is nonsense - that would be like VAG tarting up a Polo and sticking an Audi badge on it. Admittedy, VWs and Audis share platforms and engines but you're not going to confuse an A3 for a Golf.

Audi 50 anyone ;) and I don't think there was much tarting involved. Wasn't the K70 just a rebadged Audi 80?

Then you have the blatantly undisguised SEAT Exeo.

Audi 50 anyone ;) and I don't think there was much tarting involved. Wasn't the K70 just a rebadged Audi 80?
:lol: I concede (if you want to go back to the era of kipper ties, platform shoes and Slade that is!).

No matter how you try to dress it up, it's a ******* Fiat! In a few years time it'll end up like all Fiats - an unreliable rust bucket.

Yawn, same old same old VAG "Nothing could possibly even be slightly decent if it doesn't have teutonic blood running through its veins."

This forum is becoming more and more **** by the week.

:lol: I concede (if you want to go back to the era of kipper ties, platform shoes and Slade that is!).

Ahh, the good old days.

Yawn, same old same old VAG "Nothing could possibly even be slightly decent if it doesn't have teutonic blood running through its veins."

I agree with you there.

That's not my view - I just don't like Fiats.

My mistake, I just picked on the last poster. Although if you really think modern Fiats are unreliable rust buckets then you're still wrong.

My point about the VAG 'scene' still stands though, I find this unblinking view that a car can't possibly be a proper car without being a VW utterly facinating , classic performance cars and very effective modern ones are instantly dismissed because they lack the badge which means no more than any other IMHO.

I've got nothing against VW's, obviously, but I just find it curious that other cars are often ignored on here just because they aren't German. Hence why despite it being full of boat shoes owning Tory's I tend to get my car forum fix from Pistonheads nowadays.

My mistake, I just picked on the last poster. Although if you really think modern Fiats are unreliable rust buckets then you're still wrong.
I was perhaps a bit harsh. I had a sleepless night and ended up sitting at the computer from 4am loading music onto my iPod - I wasn't in the best of moods when I made the post at 5.58am. I actually quite like the Abarth 500 but I still have my reservations - only time will tell. Edited by Fow Vay

My point about the VAG 'scene' still stands though, I find this unblinking view that a car can't possibly be a proper car without being a VW utterly facinating , classic performance cars and very effective modern ones are instantly dismissed because they lack the badge which means no more than any other IMHO.

I think any owners club or marque specific site is blinkered. It's the nature of the beast and certainly not limited to the VAG scene. Try reading a Ford or French car website...

I think any owners club or marque specific site is blinkered. It's the nature of the beast and certainly not limited to the VAG scene. Try reading a Ford or French car website...

A very good point Liam, I'm having a similar feeling on the Abarth forum I go on whenever I mention that the Twingo 133 is pretty good. ;)