motorway driving in a gti?

mdubgti

personally i think it comes alive more on the motorway its all too easy to keep your foot planted and before you know it your on the ton mark! As for long trips yeah its fine the only problem being that its got a small fuel tank so you may have to make stops along the way to fill up!

how much does it cost to fill one of these babys up. i should imagaine around the 25/30 quid mark?

if driven 'semi' sensibly how long could you expect this to last? hehe price concious student needs beer! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It's very good on the motorway, bags of pull at 80 - even in 6th (and you can stick it in to 4th if you really want to shift). It's also comfortable - only complaint really is that road noise is a bit higher than I'm used to coming from a passat... (but that really is to be expected).

Just to give you an idea of it's range I went from Torquay to Sheffield (270 miles) on a tank of Sainsburys Super at `75-80` and it did it without the fuel light coming on. Reckon I could have easily cracked 300.

Mind you, I came back at about `85-90` and the fuel light came on then.

Motorway driving is fine, the small wheelbase means that its never going to be as good as a larger car, but I've used mine plenty of times and it always felt a vast improvement in comfort and refinement over my old Punto, which I spent a great deal of time on the motorway in.

Range, mixed use is about the same as everyone else, anywhere between 225 and 240 odd, sometimes more. Most I've got out on long a/road/motorway drives was about 275 to 285. Infact I think I beat my personal record recently with just under 290.

QUOTE(nfbr)
thats got me worried...

I struggle to get 100 miles for £10 worth of diesel in the 306 sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

You can get 100 miles from a tenners worth of Optimax in a GTi let alone a Tdi

And you don't have to drive like it's made of porcelain to get that either

I've been to Warwickshire & back today in mine (about `250-300` miles)... she was doing between `90-110` most of the way & she was an absolute pleasure to drive! I didn't do all the driving though, Tris did about 1/2 of it.

Left with about 1/2 a tank full this morning, filled up in Warwickshire & then arrived home with about 1/2 a tank full. Probably used about `30-35` litres of Esso standard cheapy fuel...

I struggle to get 100 miles for £10 worth of diesel in the 306

I did a round trip of 156 miles today.I had 1/4 of a tank, put ten quids worth of optimax in and had 1/4 tank when i got back.

The GTi is the bollox on the motorway,in sixth gear doing 80mph,plant your foot and you can feel the car pull to 100 plus.One thing i have noticed is that it eats steep hills in sixth gear,ive never had to change into 5th.The best example i have is the A34 Oxford bound,lots of steep hills,plant your foot at the bottom and listen to the roar from the car as it takes off!.Long journeys a'rnt bad either i find the seats comfortable.Saw my first Raven blue GTi today on the Maidenhead road in Windsor about 6pm.Black is still the best colour tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(Marqs_Loopy)
Around town and Booting it about 225 miles on a long run 305 . The long run was at about 70/80 non stop On Opti plop. :shock:

225, Thats really good think the most I have managed has been 210 and thats with trying to be conservative with the gogo pedal!! i dont fill up on optimax or super though but surely that shouldnt make too much difference??

When Iv had a "good" twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> week Ive managed 180miles to £23 worth, a far cry from the 330 off £25 in my old polo!! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

p. motorway driving is the bollox in the loop, all the white van men expect you to be a 69mph tootler try to come past and you can laugh and accelerate well into triple figures to wave them goodbye!!

my best journey so far has been: York to my house in woverhampton(ish) in 2 hours dead.

Cheers Jon, I'll give it 3 or 4 tanks over the coming weeks and see how I get on.

Or would it be the same milage to put the £5 extra the optimax will cost on £5 worth of Morissons budget!!? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I'll feel like schumacher buying optimax, quality, i mite borrow my mates bike helmet and whack some overalls on too!!

(always wanted to pull up at the lites in full racing safety gear!!, what a laff thatd be)

I did 176 miles on 27 quid of Ultimate last night during a 210 mile motorway journey :oops:

Perfectly fine to drive on the motorway - I have extreme difficulty keeping mine reading on the low side of 100mph.

Did have a transit van driver race me off the lights coming into Southampton though. :?:

QUOTE(TANNER)
I'll feel like schumacher buying optimax, quality, i mite borrow my mates bike helmet and whack some overalls on too!!

(always wanted to pull up at the lites in full racing safety gear!!, what a laff thatd be)

LMAO!