Audi

Putney

The latest craze is to fit these to cars. I saw an old passat or it might have been a bora with them fitted tonight... how frigging gay... washer jet lights all over again!

Edited by Putney

The thing is I don't mind them on the Audis except that every single Audi I see with them, has them on regardless of the time of day. Therefore they are starting to look crap.

Now seeing them on shonky cars they are going to devalue even more!!!

Its the same as the BMW angel eyes, looked cool on BMWs, then every person with a BMW drove with them on all the time. Then I saw them on a Corsa and though, thats it Chav lights.

they are preparing for the new eu law that comes in effect in 2011 i think, that says all new cars have to be fitted with daytime running lights. allegedly, it makes them easier to see and cuts down on road accidents..........

well lets be honest, if you can't see a car in broad daylight, what the fu*k are you doing in a car in the first place?

I haven't seen any today for a change but on a normal trip into Aberdeen and back I'd say you'd see at least 3 or 4 along with loads of A5's with the s-line kits.

Audi do a lease scheme for their mechanics and sales staff where they lease them a brand new Audi for 6 months then they hand it back. They have realised that its easier to sell used cars than new cars which is part of the reason there are so many of them kicking about up here!!

There's plenty of these surfaced in swindon, on everything from rover 200s to vecras... hmmmmm...

They're only bettered (or worst-ed maybe?) By the peeps who replace the side lights eith the UV/deep blue lights, they look craptastic...

Audi are a pioneer in LED lighting the R8 v10 is the first car to have all LED lights. The EU have wanted to make running lights compulsory for a long time but they met a lot of rejection because of the increased CO2 it would cause. With the advance of LED technology its no longer so much of an issue though.

With the invention of a 1w 100 lumen LED main beams are now feasible but it will be a few years before all cars start using them but i cant see it being too far into the future that it becomes compulsory that all new cars have low energy lighting.

I personally like the look of LEDs. I am sure other car companies will follow suit with the audi layout not for the sake of stile but for cost and practicality . LEDs do not have much of a beam pattern so they need to either be spread out or have a projector to get the desired effect.

I think the new Porsche 997 also have LED strip lights... I have seen a few with them now.

Saab also have a Stripe above each headlamp but its a complete line, not dots like the audi's.

The New 5 series has yellow lights on the side of the headlights.. is this going to be standard across all cars soon?