slow 1L

laura_lupo

Get one off these..

TorqueOmata36.jpg

Go faster stripe FTW!!!

Na only kidding, get a nice sounding air filter or exhaust and enjoy the sound not the speed :)

or just save every penny you can for a faster car ;)

Thats amazing! Any nos'd up lupos out there?!! :lol:

Lol id never even have thought using nos in the loop - not sure if a good or bad thing - one way 2 make mine a tad faster 2 a trip into town :lol:

Last nos'd up car I'd seen was a class megane - guy said he spends around 500 or a month for it lol :wacko:

I dont get the really low thing its not as good for handling and you cant drive anywhere that may have speed bumps, ramps bumps lumps or

pot holes thats just about every fun road i know off :huh: Just get some bigger wheels that fill the arches and it looks much better and you can drive how you like plus a 40 drop is about best for handling win win i say

As far as making a 1 litre faster you clearly cant do much for a notable power gain so you only really have a few choices. Make the car weigh less, reduce the drag coefficient and remove any excess load from the engine.

Getting rid of the back seats and spare wheel is a good start to shift some weight. Then you have other little parts dotted around the car that can go like

rear wiper / washer. Then you can move onto bigger losses in weight like doors replaced with GTI doors (quite expencive). GTI/3L alloy bonnet or Carbon /fiberglass. The sound deadening could be replaced for something with less wight. You could get Polycarbonate windows. I have been quoted £160 for the 2 back sides and rear.

Weight reduction is really only good for execration once your are up to speed it had no real effect on anything. You do notice the boost it gives you off the line though.

Then you can reduce any excess load on the engine. If the car has power steering that could be replaced for non power steering. A switch could

be put inline to the alternator to turn the load off when the car is below a certain rpm fine unless you sit in traffic quite a bit then you would have to override it. you could opt for an electric water pump you will still get the electric drain but that will come from the battery and the altinator will put the load onto the engine when at a higer rpm giving you slightly more poke through lover revs.

Then we come to drag. 60ish % of the engine power at motorway speeds is used to combat drag against the car. The 3 most benaficial ways of cutting drag on a bog standard car are

1 grill block. The upper grill is usualy more for show than actual cooling function so it can be blocked off from behind. I have a grill block and even on the hottest day it makes no difference to the cooling. any open grills will create drag on the car at speed. By blockin the back of it you stop the air entering the engine bay. Even though you still have fins from blocking it from behind the air will fill them. as they are filled with air the rest of the air will

ride over the top giving you a better laminar flow effect than just ramming into the engine bay where it can escape that well.

2. Bellypan. The underside of the car is not at all aerodynamic so to reduce drag you can make a bellypan to smooth the underside. finding the material to do it is the hard part I am still looking for something that i am going to use.

3. Wheel skirts. The wheels create quite a bit of drag hence why so many electric cars have had rear wheel skirts they are really easy to make and

will cut drag by quite a bit.

Other things you can do. fit bigger wheels that fill the arches as much possible, lower the car so its not so jacked up to reduce space under the wheel arches, fit more aerodynamic mirrors (its amazing how much drag the mirrors cause if you coast with the mirrors then flip them back and see how far you coast with them retracted it quite surprising how much difference it makes in distance and air noise) then you can tape over all the seams on the car

especially the lip where the screen meets the top of the car.

If you were to do all of the above you would be quite surprised how fast a 1.0 could shift but obviously its probably less work to fit a bigger engine.

The only advantage is that with the mods you get better MPG as well lol

Edited by Unheard

With a fiberglass front, removed bumpers and a some load reduction on the engine my little 998 mini would get up to 80 on a very short stretch of road on the way to college every day lol. The lupo is actually not much quicker to 50 than my mini was. After 50 the city gearbox was a bit crap as it was geared for towns but it use to shock people when i told them it was a 998. something fun about having a Hair dryer under the bonnet and being able to just about keep up with bigger cars.

I love the idea of making a super lightweight aerodynamic car with a tiny tiny engine. Probably a bike engine as they have a much higher RPM

but something that also has good MPG.