Section 59s...

LiamD

After quite a silly bit of driving last night which a Police horsebox driver took offence to, he took down the G's reg number then told me to expect "something" in the post.

I'm just wondering if Section 59's can be issued by post? I'm sure a few peeps on here will have had one before.

I very much doubt it will be a speeding ticket, as he doesn't have a camera. It could be considered dangerous driving but then it's his word against mine.

Personally I think he's just trying to scare me but I am intrigued by the Section 59 thing as some mates said they can be issued by post, just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience?

Can't give you a ticket? Why not?...

It could be a speeding ticket - his word backed up by the calibrated speedo in his car/van, it could be a careless/dangerous driving NIP, or it could be S59. Don't forget that applies to you and to the car.

Were you read your rights, and did you get any paperwork?

Unfortunately, case law dissagrees - one plod with a speedo matching your speed is enough to convict for speeding. Two plod on the pavement with no speed measuring equipment at all can 'catch you speeding' if they are in agreement that you were speeding.

A NIP doesn't have to be served at the roadside, but has to be served within 14 days.

It was one police officer, parked up in a horsebox. He would have no idea how fast I was going.

He doesn't know who was driving and didn't take my name as I ended up parked up in that car park with my friends so he didn't know who was driving.

Yea I know wht your saying. I think its a officer disgression thing.

Me an my mate were pissing around the other week in his car and some police officers were on the pavement, he was doing some speed at about 3am id say more that double limit easy. We got roadblocked by 2vans and 4 police cars about 2 miles down the road, basicly pulled outa the car, checked, searched an questioned etc but they said they had no evidence that we was speeding or being reckless apart from cctv on the road which isnt sufficient to provide a conviction. All they could do is issue a car asbo if he continues to "offend". I think you should be ok unless your really really unlucky.

Edited by electricpanda

Yea I know wht your saying. I think its a officer disgression thing.

Me an my mate were pissing around the other week in his car and some police officers were on the pavement, he was doing some speed at about 3am id say more that double limit easy. We got roadblocked by 2vans and 4 police cars about 2 miles down the road, basicly pulled outa the car, checked, searched an questioned etc but they said they had no evidence that we was speeding or being reckless apart from cctv on the road which isnt sufficient to provide a conviction. All they could do is issue a car asbo if he continues to "offend". I think you should be ok unless your really really unlucky.

I think you were lucky there - guessing they were after more than just speeders, and he probably said that to give you a scare. They had way more than enough to secure a conviction, the chances may be that they didn't even know that themselves.

I think you were lucky there - guessing they were after more than just speeders, and he probably said that to give you a scare. They had way more than enough to secure a conviction, the chances may be that they didn't even know that themselves.

my mate has been travelling at 115mph down the a38 then ended up being followed by a panda car :huh:

Didn't get done for speeding even though there were two police men in the vehicle,

they had no speed measuring equipment so could not provide enough physical evidence to give him any points, or a fine etc...

imo he was lucky, however the police clearly couldn't have done anything...

they only managed to catch up at a red light? :blink:

Yea I know we were lucky and Im so glad I knew the copper and he didnt search us properly ;) haha

Edited by electricpanda

:ph34r: that and I found it amusing to bring my kosh out to scare my mate and had it in my pocket area :blink:

I s**t it... :blush:

ooo :P get sent down for that boyo ;)

**** yah self all you want :lol:

A section 59 warning is from the Police Reform Act 2002. Essentially its a marker for future reference placed on both the individual and the vehicle in question. It was originally brought in to deal with the rising problem of youths riding mini-motos around parks etc.

It can be delivered by post, although it would normally be hand delivered. Essentially, if it is this, if you are seen driving any vehicle in an anti-social manner, or anyone is seen driving your vehicle in an anti social manner said vehicle will be seized.

Unfortunately, case law dissagrees - one plod with a speedo matching your speed is enough to convict for speeding. Two plod on the pavement with no speed measuring equipment at all can 'catch you speeding' if they are in agreement that you were speeding.

A NIP doesn't have to be served at the roadside, but has to be served within 14 days.

mate,

i was pulled over on the bike for over 100 in a 40 mph and reported for dangerous driving........ They were trying to do me for 70mph over the speed limit, and running a red light... It was thrown out due to lack of evidence...

you will be fine mate.... stick to your guns they have to prove you were speeding!

It would be against both the driver and the vehicle

It can be against the vehicle itself also. A customer of ours had one set against his car when his brother was driving it like a nob endl

and the point I'm making by that is the fact his brother never got pulled over nor did he get in any **** for it

Edited by nfbr

It can be against the vehicle itself also. A customer of ours had one set against his car when his brother was driving it like a nob endl

and the point I'm making by that is the fact his brother never got pulled over nor did he get in any **** for it

Sorry, I thought you meant the officer could just give one to the vehicle, but not the driver.