Lupo SDI Owners... Anyone using Veg-Oil for fuel yet?

Thought about it, about six weeks ago. At that time I could have bought a 200lt drum of 'bio fuel' for £200. Wish I had done now but 200lt is a lot of oil. It comes in a BIG plastic container apparently.....

I am sure it would cost a fair bit more now with Diesel costing nearly £1.30 a lt round here.

I can get 60 litres for £52 at the moment but due to owning a PD engined car it doesn't really benefit me.

Thing with the SDI's is that you can use any kind of veg oil / rapeseed oil or even mixtures of kerosene with engine oil and it'll run just the same as normal without causing any problems!

I'm surprised there aren't more people using veg-oil!

i work in a cash n carry 20l of oil is £17.49 and limited to 9 per customer because so many people are using it in there motors in my aera. also your alowed to use 20,000 litres a year before u have to declare it to the tax man.

interesting thread, I've been thinking about investing in one of the fuel converters that produce bio-diesel. I'm sure your limited to 2500 litre before you have to inform HMRC.

So with the sdi can you just use veg all with nothing else added or do you need to add a catalyic (sp) to it?

ive been looking into this lately, and seein if its worth buying a diesel just to use biodiesel, can get it for about 55-65p/litre i believe, so half price.

Also its 2,500 litres your allowed to make before you inform that lovely man at HMRC, which ive read is on average enough to fual two cars for the year?

will be good to hear from anyone already doing this

Edited by stevenwba

ive been looking into this lately, and seein if its worth buying a diesel just to use biodiesel, can get it for about 55-65p/litre i believe, so half price.

Also its 2,500 litres your allowed to make before you inform that lovely man at HMRC, which ive read is on average enough to fual two cars for the year?

will be good to hear from anyone already doing this

how do they know how many litres u have used?

What do the inland revenue do? Like most circumstances if you cannot prove the amount you use they'll give you a taxable amount no doubt which you can't ignore unless you file a proper return with receipts etc....

Because they can't prove how much you use, they'll hit you harder than you would if you can prove, so you then file everything officially which then over-rides their 'estimated' bill.

You don't need to register until you think you'll exceed their limit or are likely to. I think i contacted the HMRC about this to clarify or found someone elses response on the issue.

But not heard of any cases and really wouldn't worry about it. It was in place predominately to stop people using it on a wide commercial basis and also producing biofuels for profit.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting a thread... eeek naughty me.

I've read of a number of people on eco-forums using the Lupo SDI with regular vegetable oil, with no conversion required. That said, the long term effects of wear on the engine are not clear. Does vegetable oil have the lubricant properties of diesel? Doubt it.

Im sure it's similar. Plus that's what your oil is for :lol:

But seriously I ran my 106 on svo and it was fine. Cold starts where a little hard in winter but it cleans out all the fuel system. Smells nicer than diesel too. Makes the car a little slower but it's cheap!

Im sure it's similar. Plus that's what your oil is for :lol:

But seriously I ran my 106 on svo and it was fine. Cold starts where a little hard in winter but it cleans out all the fuel system. Smells nicer than diesel too. Makes the car a little slower but it's cheap!

I've been offered some SVO for about 50p a litre. I'm very tempted to give it a try. It's the perfect weather really. What mixture did you use ? 50/50? 70/30? or 100% ?

SVO for 50p? I used 50/50 and then i started using it 100%. I'm sure it had a heated fuel filter though, well coolant heated.

Few things though. Only do it if you can change fuel filters and oil yourself. First 2 tank fulls might block your fuel filter as it will be cleaning up so much gunk. Also I'd half your service intervals just incase.

Is the fuel filter a case of unclipping them?

I'm not sure about the sdi. But on some engines its 2 hoses and on the tdi its 4 well 3. Its an easy enough job. But as said I'd learn how to change the oil too.

I did mine easily the other day in a matter of minutes. I have run mine occasionally on straight veg oil and it didn't grumble or groan. If anything, once warmed up, it felt nicer to drive (may be a placebo effect) but i'm pretty dure SVO reduces diesel knock

the problem is that it seems that you have to keep all documentation for 6 years (just in case) and that I'm not sure if the people selling you the oil have to know for them to pay excise for it.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000205&propertyType=document

All in here..

Do people REALLY declare buying veg oil??

I know a few people that have/do run theirs on veg oil and never heard of declaring it!

No. People don't. That's why they are clamping down on it.

I'm very tempted to go and buy about 60 litres from this fella. He's doing it 50p so not exactly expensive.

I have the Haynes Manual for Polo SDI engines, I wonder if that contains enough about changing the fuel filter :P

ran mineon striaght veg oil no problem,but as said before winter starts took a little longer and power was slightly down for first5 mins but after that no problem,being an "old technologly" engine will run on virtually anything,

believe it or not the first diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil,

veg oil will lubricate pump no problem,

• Like 1