nfbr

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got that insurance mess sorted mate

Car looking as good as ever

Hope you get that little bit sorted very soon

Fingers crossed it's very soon. Otherwise I'll have to put off what I wanted to get sorted for another month.

front end look sick mate!

Thanks pirate dude :)

The number fell off of your number plate!

Yeah.

Car's back at the bodyshop, They reckon that when they've buffed it, it's got wet too soon afterwards which messes up the finish.

They're re-buffing it now and should be ready for Lunch time :)

Fingers crossed it's all good once it's done!

Some more parts have arrived this morning for the work I'll be doing in the coming weeks:

DSC06533.jpg

Parts are:

* PD130 ASZ Specific Oil Catch Tank with Vacuum reservoir Relocation kit

* EGR Bypass pipe with boost gauge take off feed

I want a Klaus decal for the bootlid (just like my avatar) ;)

As for hybrid:

Stage 2 Garrett GT1749VA:

* Hi Flow GT20 Compressor wheel

* CNC Machined compressor housing

* 360º Thrust bearing

* Cut back turbine blades

* Lightened and balanced turbine wheel for faster 'spool up'

* Modified V.N.T. turbine housing

* Uprated Turbine seals

* Other 'blueprinting' modifications

* Maximum permissable pressure approx 1.8 Bar

* Good for Approximately 220-240bhp.

Car's in the workshop today having a new Cam belt + Tensioners, Water pump, Coolant etc :)

Have now fitted the catch tank but the pipework that allard have provided is not big enough to go over the breather on the rocker cover :(

Have rang and sent them an e-mail but severely doubt that they will get back to me :( They are definitely living upto the bad name they had before they went bankrupt.

Today I begun the engine clean-up project.

Starting off by fitting a 130pd specific rocker cover breather oil seperator, then removing the Crap SFS pipework, Removal of the EGR system, Removal of the Inlet manifold (including Cleaning, port matching the outlets to the cylinder head and smoothing of the outlets) Fitting of the "Race Pipe" and plumbing of the Silicone/Alloy pipework.

here's one or two pics of the days events:

Rather dirty, the Inlet manifold and EGR feed pipe

filthymanifold.jpg

EGR Feed pipe removed

egroutlet.jpg

Inlet manifold now nice and clean

manifoldtop.jpg

Inlet manifold outlet side

manifoldclean.jpg

Markings pointing out area to be removed for port matching

manifoldmarkings.jpg

EGR Outlet on manifold blocked off

manifoldblockoffplate.jpg

The start of the Silicone/Alloy pipework build up

stripdown.jpg

Intercooler and pipework

frontview.jpg

EGR Delete/Race pipe ready to go on

egrdelete.jpg

Pipework complete and you can see the oil seperator tank and pipework

nearlydone.jpg

All done and engine cover back on

complete.jpg

Must say it drives a lot smoother, holds boost stronger and generally feels a nicer drive.

Thank god I got rid of that stupid SFS pipe.

Edited by nfbr

Same.... I can honestly say I know nothing about TD's

Glad it all works though.

The EGR delete thing is quite simple. As most people know, EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

This means your engine puts exhaust gasses into the intake manifold and thus into the cylinders to increase the burn temperature at prolonged constant engine speeds. This doesn't really help on MPG, but it does help on emissions.

The inside of the EGR Valve (which controls when the Exhaust gasses are bunged into your engine) is quite a restrictive peice. So by getting rid of the EGR valve, you are removing a restriction, helping keep the insides of the engine much cleaner, and subsequently making the world a warmer place!

Unfortunately EGR Valves are well known for causing a build up of shîte in the inlet manifold (like this)

EGR1.jpg

which causes even more restriction and thus increased fuel consumption.

The rocker cover breather oil seperator, is a Catch tank of sorts, but instead of venting to atmosphere, it breathes back into the Intake pipe.

The oil that would normally go into the inlet manifold, combined with the exhaust soot is what causes the build up shown on the picture above.

You'd be lucky to get the headlight on past that intercooler pipe ;)

I love how the bay looks so standard with the cover on, puurfect.

Fits fine this time :) Much easier than the stupidly oversized SFS pipe.

Does this mod not throw a code? Something to do with inlet temperature being raised due to only clean air entering...

I'm thinking about doing it to the Fabia, btw, just for the sludge reasons you mention. A popular mod in the Fabia community is the "elephant" mod where, rather than a catch can, the vapour is just vented to atmosphere by means of a hose not attached to anything...

Yeah, that pipe was silly big.

2.2 Litre volume over the standard pipe's 1.3 litre volume!

My new pipework has a volume of 1.35 litres so barely any different than the standard!

Does this mod not throw a code? Something to do with inlet temperature being raised due to only clean air entering...

I'm thinking about doing it to the Fabia, btw, just for the sludge reasons you mention. A popular mod in the Fabia community is the "elephant" mod where, rather than a catch can, the vapour is just vented to atmosphere by means of a hose not attached to anything...

Inlet temperatures will be lowered, not raised! :) As for the CEL, it's a bit of an odd one. All pre2002 engines won't have a problem, but 2003 onwards such as my 2005 will throw up an engine light. But since my EGR system has been completely disabled in the mapping, I won't have any trouble at all! :)

The "elephant hose mod" is a completely un-profesional solution in my opinion. Not a fan at all. It's a bit of a half arsed way of doing things.

After a good run about this weekend in the car making sure all the pipework and mods that I'd done were working as they should, Tonight I set to work removing the turbo charger.

Here's the aftermath! lol

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

turbo3.jpg

turbo4.jpg

Just had a quick update on my turbo!

There is some scoring on the inside of the bearing housing. They need to hone it out and sleeve it down to sort the issue out which will cost me an extra £45.00.

Other than that, the parts are due in tomorrow and it will be dispatched tomorrow afternoon to arrive Monday

They've told me its best to map it up straight away rather than running it on a standard map for a while so I should hopefully have the car back Wednesday next week! :)