Lupo GTI Engine Details...

Chris Dunderdale

Hi there guys,

Was just wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about the history of the the 1.6 GTI engine. I know it came from the Polo GTI, but thats all! Any interesting facts?!

Looking to buy a GTI in the next year or so... I need to pass my test first though... (and yes, I'm 26... and lazy!)

Chris

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the design was initially for the super 1600 rally car class where it was tuned for the polo cup rally car. The only noticable trace is the quick release bolts on the sump guard that were added for quick access on the rally car.

when they changed the engine for production use they had to lower the idle revs to meet emissions regulations so there is a bit of a stutter when the engine is cold. The rally car idle was 2000rpm so it does warm up a lot faster if you give it some revs from cold but you only notice on really icy days.

The sump is different, and the engine top is not red but other than that its the same engine.

The gearbox is different, the Clutch on the Polo is cable operated and the linkages have also been changed.

i was going to make a separate post about this but i have recently seen a product called the "sprint booster" that is a replacement module that connects to the throttle, it has altered electrics that make the throttle much more faster and responsive. cost about £160 though.

Edited by Dark

Quick release sump guard sounds very interesting

have you not seen the allen key nuts underneath instead of the usual bolts, worth a look :)

It was also the first vw engine to make use of Vermiculargraphit in the block casting. They only added it for 600 engines built between 1999 and 2001 to qualify the block for rally use. the strengthened blocks were NDT tested and x-rayed at the factory for defects and should resist bore wear better than the standard softer block. This also assisted these engine to cope with pressures & heat generated when RPM reaches 9800, which is safe to hit when you remove the rev limiter when reprogramming the ECU.

there was never official chassis numbers releases for those engines though so the only way to tell is to compare the colour of the block. If it's slightly darker grey then it has the added graphite.

this should maybe be stickied for newbies to see

It's also worth noting that the models with the removable sumpguard were made in the Wolfsburg factory, while the later ones without were made alongside the Arosa when production was moved to Spain.

I think you will find that all GTi's were, like the 3L, built at Wolfsburg. As they largely shared the same body (thinner steel but stronger), when Lupo (and Arosa) production switched to Brussels (not Spain), production of the 3L and Gti continued at Wolfsburg. Production of the 3L and GTi also continued for six months after other Lupo and Arosa models.

RAB

I think you will find that all GTi's were, like the 3L, built at Wolfsburg. As they largely shared the same body (thinner steel but stronger), when Lupo (and Arosa) production switched to Brussels (not Spain), production of the 3L and Gti continued at Wolfsburg. Production of the 3L and GTi also continued for six months after other Lupo and Arosa models.

RAB

yep, brussels is right, as that is what the B in the chassis number shows. If it were spain, it would be a Y for pamplona.

chassis.jpg

Edited by lupogtiboy