Abarth 500 at Geneva

krieglupo

I don't know why but even after reading all your posts and all the reveiws I could find I still can't find myself to like this car, yeah it looks cute and is propbably very good to drive... but it's still a fiat after all and well I guess I just don't like fiat's!

However saying that I think the Panda 100HP looks the Dogs B0ll0cks!

My "car ambition" is to own a fully-restored Fiat X1/9

if they make this:

Fiat are in discussion with Lotus on the subject of producing a new small mid-engined car - basically a lotus elise derivative using the latest range of fiat engines (1.4L 16V NA and 1.4L 16v Turbo - so 100bhp/130bhp/160bhp/190bhp depending on which variant you choose). The project is being handled by Abarth primarily (from what I can gather).

There is a substantial degree of resistance to the project within Fiat (mostly from Lancia and Alfa who have their own front engine - rwd projects such as the Fulvia project) so it may all come to nothing but we can hope (and petition Fiat). Abarth are also working on a rwd variant of the Punto platform for a Barchetta (the more recent model) replacement.

I understand that the information about a Barchetta replacement is hardly going to fire up interest here but any news on a proper sportscar is more likely to do the job. With a bit of assumption and extrapolation (based on previous Lotus collaborations elsewhere) it is likely to be the basic Elise (mk2) aluminum frame underneath (which incidentally is remarkably close to the X1/9 frame) with composite bodywork of the customer's design (usually in 3 major parts - front and rear clamshells and the cabin). The design is by default a targa top which is likely to appeal to X1/9 fans although it isn't a rigid targa (a bonus in my book).

look and feel anything like the X1/9, then I may have to take a look...

Edited by dxg

Hmm... So more powerful engine, but same 0-60 as (5 speed) gti = less fun.

Still, nice press image with the wheels off the ground!

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h...%20500%20Abarth

Is a 5speed really 7.4 0-60? Thats impressive, sod 6-speed haha

I would imagine it will bw quicker, as the 6-box will need an extra gear change to get there

Thats not exaclly a little difference is it! Im guessing the 6speed is faster everywhere else?

Otherwise with 6 not being an overun gear, whats the point if it just slows it down? :confused:

Thats not exaclly a little difference is it! Im guessing the 6speed is faster everywhere else?

Otherwise with 6 not being an overun gear, whats the point if it just slows it down? :confused:

6th in the 6 box is the same as 5 in the 5 box I think ( maybe slightly different)

Shorter ratios mean you spend more time at peak power, plus its a more involving drive

500s still arnt as popular as i would have thought.

I was passing a fiat dealer yesterday, so i called in, they had one in funk white i think it is? Its like £900 option or something. Like a pearl white, it was stunning!

I like the wheels... especailly when they are spinning

med_Fiat2-L.jpg

That looks ace! :shades:

I didn't see this coming, there were no rumors at all of a more powerful 'Opening Edition', at launch it was expected to be the standard Abarth and the SS kit would follow.

Looks great though, would love one of these first cars, but as yet there is no price of the standard car or this. Its the dealer/press launch this week so we should get word of how much very soon.

So are we only getting 100 cars for definite? :(

Just of this special edition I think.

That looks awesome, it looks much more beefy and agressive. It's spot on in that grey colour with the spokey wheels!

Oh and for reference you'd never get 7.4 to 60 in a standard Lupo Gti, it's just not powerful enough. You could maybe just make 7.8 but anything below that is dreaming.

To clarify, this Opening Edition is an Italian market only model, pistonheads neglected to mention that we won't be getting this car ahead of the normal launch.

So we are back to square one, info wise. Looks like the UK is still on track to get the standard Abarth and then the Essesse kit either at launch, or a little bit after in early 2009.

Still, that means it looks like the Essesse kit will give the car the kind of power that you get with this Opening Edition, so that is good news.

how well do they handle?

No idea as yet, the press launch has only just happened, so I expect we'll get word in the next month or so.

Although a totally different platform, the Punto Abarth has gotten very positive early reviews, both for its engine and handling.

Oh and for reference you'd never get 7.4 to 60 in a standard Lupo Gti, it's just not powerful enough. You could maybe just make 7.8 but anything below that is dreaming.

True. If a Lupo GTI can get 7.4 then my Polo can get 7.8 (it gets 8.3 :))

Edited by Mouse_GTI

• 3 weeks later...

I think most cars would crumple like that if they hit a Q7, I certainly wouldnt fancy hitting one in my Arosa!

I think Edd China on 5th gear the other night said the Q7 was one of the biggest cars on sale in the UK. They look it for sure!