Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

i bought the basic spec 13" pro with 2.26ghz c2d processor, 2gb of ram, and 160gb hard disk.

i then bought 4gb of ram from ebuyer for £75 and a 7200rpm 500gb hard disk for £83. total including the machine itself comes to £1058.

to purchase that spec machine ready built from apple would cost £1139, but they don't offer a 7200rpm drive option, only 5400rpm.

obviously you could do the same upgrades yourself to the macbook you were considering, but i just think it's worth getting the pro in the first place as over the space of however many years you will keep it, £100 isn't really a massive amount extra and i recon it will stand up to the test of time better.

How easy was the RAM and Hard Drive to fit?

Also what was the speed like with the standard 2GB DDR3?

Seriously considering the basic spec 13" pro now

Matt

How easy was the RAM and Hard Drive to fit?

Also what was the speed like with the standard 2GB DDR3?

Seriously considering the basic spec 13" pro now

Matt

well the 4gb upgrade makes things a bit snappier if you are running lots of apps, but the reason i did it was because i run a virtual windows machine using virtualbox, and giving it lots of memory is pretty vital for it to run quick. 2gb would be fine for normal usage, a SSD or 7200rpm hard disk would make more of a difference in day to day normal usage.

well the 4gb upgrade makes things a bit snappier if you are running lots of apps, but the reason i did it was because i run a virtual windows machine using virtualbox, and giving it lots of memory is pretty vital for it to run quick. 2gb would be fine for normal usage, a SSD or 7200rpm hard disk would make more of a difference in day to day normal usage.

I wont be having windows on mine, so i might just stick with the 2GB and buy a 7200rpm hard disk. What size will i need?

How easy was the hard disk to fit?

Matt

I wont be having windows on mine, so i might just stick with the 2GB and buy a 7200rpm hard disk. What size will i need?

Matt

piece of piss to fit, just undo the screws from the bottom plate on the macbook pro, lift the plate off and you can see the memory and hard disk under there.

piece of piss to fit, just undo the screws from the bottom plate on the macbook pro, lift the plate off and you can see the memory and hard disk under there.

Superb :) How did you go about transfering all the data for the system to boot? Is it a 2.5" drive orrrrr?

Matt

Superb :) How did you go about transfering all the data for the system to boot? Is it a 2.5" drive orrrrr?

Matt

just use something like http://www.bombich.com/index.html

clone your original mac hard disk to your new hard disk in an external caddy.

or if you don't have an external caddy you could just put the new drive in the macbook and just install the operating system from scratch from the dvd that comes with the machine.

Edited by Adam K

Matt

os x loves ram - I would prioritise that over a bigger disk if speed is what you're after.

I'm starting to go off the idea of a 27" iMac.

The firmware update seems to have fixed the display flickering issues - it must have been a driver issue. But the noise from the inverters is still there.

The macrumors forums (as well as gizmodo) are full of complaints that both the 2.5 and 27 screens have uneven yellow tinting to them. And complaints about vibrations from the 1tb hard drives, as well as the machines getting really hot.

So, let's see what gets announced on the 26th. Hopefully the slate but maybe some upgrades to the other models as well... Maybe a bottom-end PowerMac would be possible. We'll have to wait and see.

I get the feeling the Slate is going to be too focused on media consumption to suit my needs. All I want (i.e. need for my job) is something I can view PDFs on in near-enough full size so that I can annotate them and re-save them with my scribbles embedded. I can do this on the screen at the moment, but I would really like are more suitable form-factor.

Aside: I finally had some time to mess around with CS3's licensing system and my legit copy is now running on the mini! Never give up, peeps! Esp. when it involves otherwise having to shell out fo software that you shouldn't have to re-purchase. For info, the solution was on Adobe's own site (in case you guys hit the same problem, because seemingly it's not at all rare), here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51260.html

I'm starting to go off the idea of a 27" iMac.

The firmware update seems to have fixed the display flickering issues - it must have been a driver issue. But the noise from the inverters is still there.

The macrumors forums (as well as gizmodo) are full of complaints that both the 2.5 and 27 screens have uneven yellow tinting to them. And complaints about vibrations from the 1tb hard drives, as well as the machines getting really hot.

So, let's see what gets announced on the 26th. Hopefully the slate but maybe some upgrades to the other models as well... Maybe a bottom-end PowerMac would be possible. We'll have to wait and see.

I get the feeling the Slate is going to be too focused on media consumption to suit my needs. All I want (i.e. need for my job) is something I can view PDFs on in near-enough full size so that I can annotate them and re-save them with my scribbles embedded. I can do this on the screen at the moment, but I would really like are more suitable form-factor.

Aside: I finally had some time to mess around with CS3's licensing system and my legit copy is now running on the mini! Never give up, peeps! Esp. when it involves otherwise having to shell out fo software that you shouldn't have to re-purchase. For info, the solution was on Adobe's own site (in case you guys hit the same problem, because seemingly it's not at all rare), here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51260.html

i am running CS4 on my mbp, but the lack of desktop real estate pisses me off when i've been used to photoshopping on my pc @ 1920x1200. still haven't made my mind up on the 27" imac, or just get a nice BIG monitor and connect it to my mac mini.

i am running CS4 on my mbp, but the lack of desktop real estate pisses me off when i've been used to photoshopping on my pc @ 1920x1200. still haven't made my mind up on the 27" imac, or just get a nice BIG monitor and connect it to my mac mini.

It's the uneven (and therefore uncorrectable) yellow tint to the screens that put me off it for that very reason. The screen sounds great if it wasn't for this manufacturing problem. Apparently the 24" Cinema display has the same problem. Which may explain why Apply have kept the original 30" cinema display around for so long - they know that their professional dtp and gfx people wouldn't put up with any defects...

There should be a new revision of the PowerMac in the next few months (last updated March 2009) and hopefully these iMac problems will be solved then, so a clear decision can be made.

This mini just isn't up to the work I put through it and it's getting frustrating...

Edited by dxg

Why does the iPhone have bluetooth since it can't find anything and even if it does it won't pair with it. Its a bit annoying that I have to email all my pictures to my desktop.

Do you use a Mac? Use ImageCapture and your USB cable.

Yeah I've got a mac. I don't wanna sync everythin off my computer. Sometimes I just want the odd image on my mac or from my mac to my phone. That's why it's annoying. Where can I get image capture from? I had a fail with google :lol:

Edited by heartagram

Yeah I've got a mac. I don't wanna sync everythin off my computer. Sometimes I just want the odd image on my mac or from my mac to my phone. That's why it's annoying. Where can I get image capture from? I had a fail with google :lol:

This really rattles my cage too. The iPhone has no File Transfer Protocol for it's Bluetooth so you cannot send anything using it. There is a free app that will send from iPhone to iPhone but that is about it. Rather annoying that a £30 mobile can do something that my £500+ mobile cannot. I'm hoping that they will add FTP in the next firmware update but I'm not going to hold my breathe :-(

i think the bluetooth works great for what it's designed to do.

i use bluetooth tethering from my macbook pro to my iphone, and i use bluetooth headphones on both my mbp and iphone and they both work great with them.

if you wanna transfer pics and stuff without having to connect your phone to your mac or pc then use dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/

Image Capture is already on your Mac in the utilities folder!

Open it up with your iPhone plugged in and you'll see how easy it is....