Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Apols for the thread hijack, but - thinking this thing over, I have one more option of getting the hackintosh running again (reinstall hacked OS from scratch, then update from the time machine). If that fails, then it's entry-level iMac time (2/3rds the speed of the hackintosh :( ) because I need a reliable solution.

I do feel for your situation as it's obviously costing you money - but you take a punt when you do such a thing am I right?

Apple will always be **** hot with stuff like this. For example Palm made the Pre phone compatible with iTunes and within days Apple had an update to stop it.

In comparison to Microsoft, Apple like you to play a lot more - but only by their own rules.

Apple had their famous 'Black Friday' sale yesterday so I took a trip into Manchester and bagged myself a copy of iWork 09 for £44. Not bad compared to the normal RRP of £69.

Also picked up an 8gb iPod Touch earlier in the week but managed to get it for £119 (refurb).

I was very surprised how quickly iWork installed, I can only imagine Word/Excel/Powerpoint would be a chore. iWork was on in 5 mins with just a couple of clicks!

Now I realise that I don't need it :lol:

Hey Ben,have you got that £30 you promised me?

I do feel for your situation as it's obviously costing you money - but you take a punt when you do such a thing am I right?

Apple will always be **** hot with stuff like this. For example Palm made the Pre phone compatible with iTunes and within days Apple had an update to stop it.

In comparison to Microsoft, Apple like you to play a lot more - but only by their own rules.

Yup - it was all a huge experiment which went completely tits up in the space of a mouse click!!

I can't even get the hacked dvd image to install now, which is just so very strange.

Pretty much resigned myself to ordering an HE-priced iMac first thing tomorrow. It may even get here in time for my birthday (Wednesday) - so I guess that's another excuse.

I just:

- don't want to have to spend money to get something slower. But at least it will be stable and will come with the three year HE warranty.

- don't want to spend money just to get out of a difficult situation. I hate doing that - would much prefer to try to work out what the root of the problem is.

Plus, buying the iMac will rule out any chance of a tablet in the new year :(

Ah well, it was all one *massive* gamble. Worked *great* for three months, though!

Edited by dxg

Well, priced up the bottom end iMac on the educational store - £975. You have to order a 4gb upgrade now because upgrading later requires lifting the display out of the case - there is no other way into the guts of the machine and I'm not up for that.

So, that cost, plus the stories of so many people having problem with buzing from the display's power supply (I have this on my office printer and it drives you slowly insane) has caused by head to win out (for the next few weeks anyway!)

Memory upgrade for the mini ordered and I'll be using that as my main machine. It will be dog slow (one third the speed) of the hackintosh, but I do need something solid that works.

Upsides - I keep my budget for the tablet. If I don't like it, then I'll probably get an iMac then, by which time the buzzing design problem should be solved...

Downsides - the mini is my TV!! So no PVR functionality in the living room for the time being.

I'll try to rebuild the hackintosh starting from a reformatted drive as soon as I have a couple of days to devote to it.

Lessons learnt here, I think.

Edited by dxg

Well, today I've given up on the hackintosh, and have installed vista *spit* on it. With a cheapo usb tv stick and an mce remote and receiver found in the back of a cupboard from my ill-considered earlier years and - I feel really dirty saying this - but the 10-foot interface of vista on a screaming fast machine is really rather good. Only a single tuner, though...

Stuck Revit on it too and it's also silky smooth. Shame it's not a mac.

Got all my apps and software recovered from the hackintosh's time machine backup onto the mini. All, apart from CS3, whose registration threw a hissy fit, off course. Customer support request lodged (because it's actually a legit copy!!!) and we'll see what they say. I've still got a student card so if it comes to it, I'll have to buy a copy of CS4 - but that's £230.

Time to sit back for a few months to see what the apple tablet and the microsoft courier tablet pan out like. And then make a decision between an imac or a tablet. Feels like purgatory in the meantime, though. The mini I'm typing this on is dog slow compared to the joy that was the hackintosh... :(

Live and learn.

Aside - vista is only recognising 4gb of the 8gb on the machine. I'm wondering if that is what made the hackintosh panic everywhere - they were completely random, so I'm thinking this could be the root of it all. But not going through the hassle all over again.

If only apple stuff was cheaper!!!

Edited by dxg

Well, for S&G's I thought I'd look at the HE store pricing in detail:

Quad core 27" iMAC = £1,407.60

2.66GHz Intel Core i5

2560 x 1440 resolution

4GB memory

1TB hard drive

8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB

Cheapest Power Mac = £1,595.05

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor

3GB (three 1GB) memory

640GB hard drive

18x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB

So, the Power Mac doesn't seem all that expensive. Much better chip and all it would need would be another 3gb of ram...

*Ponders*

*Counts his pennies*

Aside - vista is only recognising 4gb of the 8gb on the machine.

A 32bit OS will only recognise a maximum of 4gb ram, you need the 64bit version to recognise any more.

• Like 1

I recently acquired an Airport Express!

Cracking little peice of equipment, Especially for use with Airtunes.

Yeah I have one attached to my Apple HIFI, had hoped I could attach a USB HDD but no luck.

picked up a new 2.26ghz, 2gb, 160gb 13" macbook pro today and ordered 4gb of ram and a 7200rpm drive from ebuyer. really would have liked to try an SSD in it, but a decent capacity one is silly money still!

really really pleased with it so far, loving the multitouch pad and much more convenient it makes web browsing.

so now i have....

Macbook Pro

Mac Mini

1.5tb Time Capsule

Ipod Nano

Iphone 3GS

Anyone else more of an Apple whore?

Next purchase is gonna be the 27" Imac, just need to decide if i can justify a quad core version or if the C2D will have to suffice.

That's good whoring Adam, esp since you were such a hater. ;)

i readily admit that i have turned full circle. my first apple product was an ipod nano when the first version came out, even then i only turned to a mac back in july, so it's only since then that i've seen the light. i did used to really hate apple stuff for no other reason than how i perceived the operating system without ever having used it.

also my requirements from a machine have changed. back when i was younger i was most interested in having a big powerful machine and getting the most for my money. nowadays i'm willing to sacrifice performance for looks/style, and i am willing to look at the overall package rather than just figures. also obviously as you get older your earnings tend to increase (hopefully), so it makes sense that at some point you might re-evaluate your wants/needs in a desktop/laptop and suddenly find that a mac falls into your category when it previously didn't. at the end of the day apple product pricing really does put a lot of people off. on paper you are getting a pretty poor spec for the money. i mean £900 for a laptop with 2gb of ram and a 160gb hard disk..... that does kinda take the piss! the same goes for iphones, they really are horrendously expensive compared to normal phones, it's only once you get to play with one or own one that you can see they really are leagues ahead in terms of functionality.

Edited by Adam K

Next purchase is gonna be the 27" Imac, just need to decide if i can justify a quad core version or if the C2D will have to suffice.

I've decided on one of these too!!

But, just waiting until the new year / easter because:

- waiting for the display power supply problems to be sorted out

- waiting for the tablet position to be resolved re microsoft vs. apple

Also, defintely worth going for the i7 custom build - plus get an extra 4gb built in there and then because apple's price is currently cheaper than crucials!!!

£1.7k on the HE scheme. So a serious purchase - hence waiting for the above to be resolved.

I just have to keep myself entertained with speed tests on youtube -- the above configuration is faster than the equivalent PowerMac!!!

Hi guys and girls!

I am pretty settled on the new white Macbook, however can someone tell me the difference between the White Macbook, and the basic 2.23ghz 13" Macbook Pro please? As it seems the White Macbook is better value for money as it has a 250gb hard drive :)

Help much appreiciated,

Matt

Hi guys and girls!

I am pretty settled on the new white Macbook, however can someone tell me the difference between the White Macbook, and the basic 2.23ghz 13" Macbook Pro please? As it seems the White Macbook is better value for money as it has a 250gb hard drive :)

Help much appreiciated,

Matt

sd card reader

firewire

backlit keys

aluminium body

160gb hard disk

I will not be needing SD slots or firewire, and the Standard White Macbook has a 250gb hard drive, so shall i go for that?

Matt

i literally just bought a macbook pro at the weekend. i would personally go for the pro, but that's cos i love the aluminium body, and i wanted the sd card slot for uploading my camera photos. i also use my laptop in bed sometimes when i'm sitting up at night, so the backlit keys are useful.

overall i'd say for £100 extra the pro is worth it, and will be worth more and be more desirable if you come to resell in a few years time if you want to upgrade to a newer model. i guarantee you will want to upgrade the hard disk soon enough anyway for either an SSD when the price comes down, or a 7200rpm drive which gives around 30% better performance, so IMO buying a pro is a better option.

i literally just bought a macbook pro at the weekend. i would personally go for the pro, but that's cos i love the aluminium body, and i wanted the sd card slot for uploading my camera photos. i also use my laptop in bed sometimes when i'm sitting up at night, so the backlit keys are useful.

overall i'd say for £100 extra the pro is worth it, and will be worth more and be more desirable if you come to resell in a few years time if you want to upgrade to a newer model. i guarantee you will want to upgrade the hard disk soon enough anyway for either an SSD when the price comes down, or a 7200rpm drive which gives around 30% better performance, so IMO buying a pro is a better option.

What spec Pro did you get mate?

Matt

What spec Pro did you get mate?

Matt

i bought the basic spec 13" pro with 2.26ghz c2d processor, 2gb of ram, and 160gb hard disk.

i then bought 4gb of ram from ebuyer for £75 and a 7200rpm 500gb hard disk for £83. total including the machine itself comes to £1058.

to purchase that spec machine ready built from apple would cost £1139, but they don't offer a 7200rpm drive option, only 5400rpm.

obviously you could do the same upgrades yourself to the macbook you were considering, but i just think it's worth getting the pro in the first place as over the space of however many years you will keep it, £100 isn't really a massive amount extra and i recon it will stand up to the test of time better.

just to add, as far as i'm aware, the macbook doesn't have the remote reciever if you wanna use the apple remote, whereas the macbook pro does.

but if you have a touch or an iphone you can use them over wifi with snatch to control your stuff anyway.